• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

At what age did you get your first console/PC?

Neo

Reaction score
Already had a PC the time I was born. Used to play Mario, Prince of Persia (early version), Alladin, Pac Man, Road Rash, etc. Got a small console that had cassettes when I was about 5. These cassettes used to have like 10 games in one. I remember the first single game cassette being Pokemon which was a Pikachu collecting apples in various levels lol.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
I have got my first console when I was in class 5.I was so happy that I used to play all the time I got. PS2 was my device that I got.I used to buy playstation games.It was so much fun at that time.It was also a new world has just opened to me.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Well, we got a console when I was like 7 years old and I said "we" cause it was shared with my cousins. It was a Super Nintendo and I remember we had only two cassettes, Mario Bros World and Paper Boy. Both were very cool games and I remember spending a lot of time trying to figuring them out lol,
Ah yes, "we" being you had to wait your turn while they play their games, and when you got your turn, it's only a few minutes, and they start playing again? That was my experience at least, and that's part of the reason why I really wanted a gaming device of my own. Now I have a great gaming PC and I can play whenever I want, however long I want. And nobody can stop me.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Already had a PC the time I was born. Used to play Mario, Prince of Persia (early version), Alladin, Pac Man, Road Rash, etc. Got a small console that had cassettes when I was about 5. These cassettes used to have like 10 games in one. I remember the first single game cassette being Pokemon which was a Pikachu collecting apples in various levels lol.
Is it the cartridges that boast "1000 in 1" but in reality it was just 5 games? Because I had those as a kid and they were blatant lies and disappointments. Usually the number is really 1000, but it's just the same 5 games over and over with a different name, and I was stupid enough to believe that maybe there are different games in the middle of the list if I try all of them. Spoiler alert: there weren't any.

Moaz

Reaction score
I got my first console at the age 6, ad it was Playstation 2, it was something amazing for me at that age to have PS2, but right now I don't think there's anyone still using Playstation 2.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I got my first console at the age 6, ad it was Playstation 2, it was something amazing for me at that age to have PS2, but right now I don't think there's anyone still using Playstation 2.
You're lucky. I was taking turns with cousins playing a PS1 up until I was 15 or so. Then I got a PC and PS2 at about the same time, and me and my brothers played like there was no tomorrow. No more sharing with cousins you don't like, no more of your cousins hogging the game because their parents are nearby. It was our games and we spent a lot of time on them growing up.

Joshmoy

Reaction score
On my 7th birthday, my dad bought me a Sega console which was pretty cool back then. I used to play with my friends and we all had super fun. I bought my first gaming device ( a Nintendo DX) when I was in high school. It really helped me kill boredom back then.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
On my 7th birthday, my dad bought me a Sega console which was pretty cool back then. I used to play with my friends and we all had super fun. I bought my first gaming device ( a Nintendo DX) when I was in high school. It really helped me kill boredom back then.
I think parents only buy their kids games so they would be more quiet around the house and don't go outside. Pretty brilliant strategy; they pay for a gaming console and you get to use it all day, not disturbing anyone and you have far less of a chance getting run over by a car when you are in the sofa playing the hours away. It's simple yet so effective.

Wolf123rt

Reaction score
I got my first console when I was 9 and it was a Playstation 2. I got it for my birthday and it was one of my favorite consoles ever. It had such a great game library and I don't think any other console will beat it.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I got my first PC in 2003. My dad gave it to me when I brilliantly passed my exams. It was a Pentium 3 PC. I played lots of game on this PC and it was a good one despite the fact that it was a Pentium 3.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
You're lucky. I was taking turns with cousins playing a PS1 up until I was 15 or so. Then I got a PC and PS2 at about the same time, and me and my brothers played like there was no tomorrow. No more sharing with cousins you don't like, no more of your cousins hogging the game because their parents are nearby. It was our games and we spent a lot of time on them growing up.
Yes,it happened with me also.I had to share my games with my cousin which was bully in nature.I didn't like this but for sake of my aunt I have to bear it.At that time I had to adjust with him to play in turns.When he returned to his house I feel free to enjoy my games fully.

jitendra0341

Reaction score
I think parents only buy their kids games so they would be more quiet around the house and don't go outside. Pretty brilliant strategy; they pay for a gaming console and you get to use it all day, not disturbing anyone and you have far less of a chance getting run over by a car when you are in the sofa playing the hours away. It's simple yet so effective.
Yes, it is a intelligent coy to engage kids into playing games.Parents do it to cover up their lack of time.they give us our desired games just to shut our mouth,not to disturb anyone.This way we are controlled to be safe from going outside and keep away from traffic hazard.And it is working effectively.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes, it is a intelligent coy to engage kids into playing games.Parents do it to cover up their lack of time.they give us our desired games just to shut our mouth,not to disturb anyone.This way we are controlled to be safe from going outside and keep away from traffic hazard.And it is working effectively.
It's pretty effective, I agree. The most damage you can do is probably break a controller or overuse a certain hardware and may need replacement. Still, playing games do have its advantages. Games make you more alert, better at decision making, and studies have shown that you can also make faster decisions if you have experience playing games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes,it happened with me also.I had to share my games with my cousin which was bully in nature.I didn't like this but for sake of my aunt I have to bear it.At that time I had to adjust with him to play in turns.When he returned to his house I feel free to enjoy my games fully.
lol at least you didn't have to clean their goddamn house before you can even touch the controller. I'm still bitter about that. Just because they had stuff doesn't mean they could order us around. But hey, when you want to play Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 so bad, you'd do anything they say. Now I have my own PC, and I still have the PS1 emulator for Crash Bandicoot Warped.

Neo

Reaction score
Is it the cartridges that boast "1000 in 1" but in reality it was just 5 games? Because I had those as a kid and they were blatant lies and disappointments. Usually the number is really 1000, but it's just the same 5 games over and over with a different name, and I was stupid enough to believe that maybe there are different games in the middle of the list if I try all of them. Spoiler alert: there weren't any.
Yes! I can totally relate to this! I begged my dad to get me the 1000 games one and when I finally got it, I never felt so utterly disappointed and cheated in life. I tried a lot to find the 1000 games they speak of but nope, the maximum I got to play was 5 or 6 and they were bad too.

WarVet

Reaction score
It's pretty effective, I agree. The most damage you can do is probably break a controller or overuse a certain hardware and may need replacement. Still, playing games do have its advantages. Games make you more alert, better at decision making, and studies have shown that you can also make faster decisions if you have experience playing games.

It certainly is a parents haven and while cognitively speaking the kid gets better (More intelligent, faster reflexes and abstract thinking capabilities) When it comes to motor skills games can't do much but turn you into a lazy slob. I don't advise against gaming at all it's not that. It's just that I think children should be stimulated in diverse manners and one of them is going outside, picking fights, climbing trees hitting on girls and etc. I'd be a much happier and well-balanced adult if I had done those things when I was younger.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I think I was 3 or 4 when I started watching my brother playing on the NES. I was scared as hell to play at first because he always looked so frustrated when he lost, but once I found the courage to take the controller myself I had a blast with Super Mario and Mega Man 2.
The first time I had a say in a console's purchase was with the PSX, and I think it must have been just a few years later. I started gaming when I was really young, anyway.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think I was 3 or 4 when I started watching my brother playing on the NES. I was scared as hell to play at first because he always looked so frustrated when he lost, but once I found the courage to take the controller myself I had a blast with Super Mario and Mega Man 2.
The first time I had a say in a console's purchase was with the PSX, and I think it must have been just a few years later. I started gaming when I was really young, anyway.
I remember when I first played a Resident Evil game after watching my older cousins play them. I didn't know what I was doing and the game was really scary! It was RE3: Nemesis so you can see the frustration and terror when the Nemesis was coming for you and you have very little ammo and healing items to spare. I ended up not finishing it until a few years later; but hey, that's what the game is about, huh?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Yes! I can totally relate to this! I begged my dad to get me the 1000 games one and when I finally got it, I never felt so utterly disappointed and cheated in life. I tried a lot to find the 1000 games they speak of but nope, the maximum I got to play was 5 or 6 and they were bad too.
Yeah those were awful. They were more expensive than single titles like Pokemon, but the seller keeps saying it's worth it because of the number of games inside. LIES. And even then, the single titles were still amazingly well done; and I wished I could have played more but I only played several Pokemon titles over my GBA and I never looked anywhere else since the games had a lot of stuff to do.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I remember when I first played a Resident Evil game after watching my older cousins play them. I didn't know what I was doing and the game was really scary! It was RE3: Nemesis so you can see the frustration and terror when the Nemesis was coming for you and you have very little ammo and healing items to spare. I ended up not finishing it until a few years later; but hey, that's what the game is about, huh?
God, the same exact thing happened to me, even the same game (I guess it was more popular than the previous two, for some reason), except it was my father playing it. I remember screaming like a little girl the first time the Nemesis appeared, and images of some of those damn jumpscares are still burned in my mind (freakin' dogs breaking in from the windows).
However...I never picked the game up again. It would make for a nice nightly gaming session, though. Maybe it's time to plug in the PSX again.