• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Are There Good Games For Linux?

cesarmatute

Reaction score
One of the things that has prevented me from jumping to Linux, is that I haven't seen any good games for that OS. Mostly, the best games out there are supported on Windows and Mac, but not Linux. I know there are emulators that allow you to use Windows games on linux, but I don't know if the performance is the same.

What are the best game you know that work on Linux?

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Linux in general is best suited for more of a general purpose as a OS instead of gaming compatibility integrated OS. Meaning essentially Linux runs browsers, editing software, and a lot of coding software more efficiently.

Most people run both depending on what they use it for. But overall Windows performs best for gaming purposes, Apple for a lot of editing/software, and Linux/Chromebook OS for coding and browsing.

kgord

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Linux. I like Chrome as a good fast browser and it is one that I use often. I just think that I would never try to game on Linux because I don't really understand the browser or how it works. I might try to get into sometime though. Most who have used it seem to like it.

Clara1993

Reaction score
There are lots of games which you can play if you use pc I wonder what kind of games you like, However I suggest you some few of strategy games like RIM WORLD if you like to become an emperor you will never get bored with this.

valy

Reaction score
I'm playing games on my Windows 7, I do not advise you to jump on LINUX, but if you do I recommend you the following games:
Battle for Wesnoth - this is a strategy game.
Xonotic - this game is a first-person shooter game.
Voxelands - a similar game as Minecraft.
You can try one of these games on Linux, but usually, the games that are in STEAM can be played on Linux as well.

Decypher

Reaction score
Dude come on, Linux was not made for games,that's why i advice people installing Linux on their system to use of a VM ware, because Linux was not made for hardcore gamers, they are games made for the Linux platform which is alien to real gamers, not because they can't make games for Linux, but who wants to waste his resources on a platform without a large game community, Linux is meant for mostly Hackers and pen-testers not for gamers, that's why we have Windows, but as for me who is a combination of both Profession LOL, i use windows for gaming and power by Kali Linux on a VM ware or external hard-drive for pen-testing/coding and development.

overcast

Reaction score
Lot of old PC games are now being ported to Linux. So you have Doom, Quake, Wolfestein, and others there. Though those are old releases but they work just fine. Almost every Angry birds release that I have seen, works fine on Linux. It seems the games which are on 2D side seems to be running just fine.

peachpurple

Reaction score
iHave you tried Xonotic? It is also known as Nexuiz to some players. I kind of like this game because it is a shooter alike game genre. There are assorted weapons and firing methods to choose from, lots of maps to choose and a few jumping , combining weapons options. You won't get bored with this Linux game as there is frequent updates when you are online.