• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Anyone excited for console crossplay?

MLF

Reaction score
Even though I believe the Microsoft E3 conference was very underwhelming, the one announcement that had me interested was the Xbox One/Nintendo Switch crossplay for Minecraft. Although I don't play Minecraft, this finally opens the door to something that has been requested for as long as I can remember.

By doing this, it eliminates the "it's not technically possible" BS and I'd imagine you'll see pressure from gamers demanding it for more titles in the future and if I had to wager, I'd imagine the AAA titles will be the first to cross that line. If you didn't watch the conferences, you can get the jist of the announcement from this Gamespot article:

Link: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-xbox-one-getting-cross-play-with-nintendo-/1100-6450754/

Denis_P

Reaction score
I actually am pretty excited for this concept. Like you said, I don't play Minecraft either, and actually I don't own either a Switch or an Xbox as I am a PC gamer, but the prospect of getting to play with other people across platforms is really appealing to me.

I've never been one to judge others for their choice of console (fighting among gamers is dumb, we have enough stigma from the outside) and the way I see it, the more players the better as cross platform gaming could be what keeps many multiplayer games alive.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I don't really play my Xbox One anymore as I mainly game on PC now. However, I am pretty excited to see this as some of my friends from Xbox can then play and will increase the amount of players in games.

Jog

Community Supervisor
Reaction score
Well what is interesting is going to be how they implement it in the first place.

If you look at it, any gamer who has played anything with a bit of "competitive nature" to it will understand that a skill gap will be there. Obviously our PC mastery will crush the inaccurate scrubs on console controllers.

So by using Minecraft owned by Microsoft as an example, they can test all the functionality and bugs first then they can start to implement a system in which they can use Battlefield, CoD, etc to test the gameplay.

So just be prepared for a long and rocky road.

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
Yes, I am excited for console crossplay...if it goes further than Minecraft, that is.

I think that Sony refusing to let the PS4 in the crossplay is a bit ridiculous. It sure would be nice if these companies would all play nice for the benefit of themselves and the consumer.

Javo1096

Reaction score
I've dreamed of this for I don't know how long, different communities getting together to just play videogames, even though I don't understand why Sony didn't wanted to take part in this great step on global gaming if it comes to be more than just Minecraft the future looks very promising to me.

Fallenpyro418 (Sparks)

Community Supervisor
Community Supervisor
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not really interested as I think there will be flaws in cross over play.

Sino989

Reaction score
I think that the cross play is very a cool and unique thing that they are doing honestly. I just wish it Sony would have agreed to do cross play too so that PS4 players could cross play also. :/

Denis_P

Reaction score
I think that the cross play is very a cool and unique thing that they are doing honestly. I just wish it Sony would have agreed to do cross play too so that PS4 players could cross play also. :/

Yeah I actually feel this way as well. It's a shame that Sony doesn't want to play ball since I'd love to see a world where gamers across all platforms can play the same games together. I think Nintendo and Microsoft made the deal together since they're not in direct competition the way that Sony and Microsoft are. Still, would be nice to put competition aside and just do it for the sake of the players, but I guess business doesn't work that way.

MLF

Reaction score
Well what is interesting is going to be how they implement it in the first place.

If you look at it, any gamer who has played anything with a bit of "competitive nature" to it will understand that a skill gap will be there. Obviously our PC mastery will crush the inaccurate scrubs on console controllers.

So by using Minecraft owned by Microsoft as an example, they can test all the functionality and bugs first then they can start to implement a system in which they can use Battlefield, CoD, etc to test the gameplay.

So just be prepared for a long and rocky road.
It's 2017 and we have great programming and mathematical minds. If they can't figure out algorithms on how to lobby like-skilled gamers in highly competitive games there will definitely be issues but it's a challenge that developers should be able to handle if they're worth their weight in meatballs.