• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Achievements

haze

Reaction score
Do you play XBOX games for the pure fact that you want to gather as many achievements as you possibly can or do you just trundle along the game collecting them as and when you do?

Whilst I personally do not play the games for achievements, certain ones I do try to get due to the fact that the method required to collect the achievement may actually be quite funny or tricky!

Hidden308

Reaction score
Not at all lol. I mean, I like getting them, but I don't play for them at all.

Epicfied

Reaction score
I play games for the game itself. I do however fine it enjoyable to get the achievements as well. It's that extra challenge to do.

sdsmith

Reaction score
My friends are achievement nuts. When I hang with them, they always want me to help them get achievements.I'm more of a retro gaming nut than anything else. Unless it's a fighting game, or some wrestling or MMA sim, I'm not interested in helping.

Hidden308

Reaction score
I have a few friends that achievement nuts as well, but I don't see how. I only go for achievements in PC games.

valy

Reaction score
Hi Haze, I am playing to have fun and enjoy a good game. It depends on its game itself if it is worth to gather as achievements or just play for fun. Some games are challenging and makes you play it over and over again, but some games are played only to enjoy and relax.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
Achievements are are nice to get, but they're not the sole reason I play games. They're a nice perk, sure, but if a game doesn't offer Steam achievements, it's not a deal breaker for me. I play video games because they're fun and help me relax, not because I want to brag about the achievements I have.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Ahh, I love achievements. I don't know why but the last few years I just absolutely want to get every single one in the games that I play. I have 100% quite many games and I don't regret it at all. Often the achievements push you to fully play the game out and explore the things you would otherwise just run pass. A good example are the achievements based around collectibles - many games have those and they can play a big part in understanding the characters, the plot and the little secrets. I feel like achievements can definitely make me more eager to play a certain game but they aren't the main reason as to why I play a particular game. I have plenty games in Steam that don't have any achivements and I still enjoy them very much.

Cendrillon

Reaction score
While they may not be the core of playing itself, I like the lil' sense of satisfaction it brings after getting them!
Feels like a pat in the back after a good game, you know? (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و
But my favourite type is the easter egg type! When you can't see it coming and suddenly BAM, you got yourself a nice little bonus.

Sino989

Reaction score
I used to be the type of person that HAD to get every single achievement for a game because to me it the game have more meaning. Instead of just playing a campaign for the story you can play for achievement also, granted achievements give you literally nothing except for gamer score but it still gave the game more meaning. I play PS4 now and so I don't go for achievements anymore because I like to play just for fun now :)

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well I don't play Xbox but we PC gamers have achievements on Steam as well, and PlayStation players have trophies. But going back to the question, no I generally don't play games with the intention of gathering achievements. If I happen to gather achievements along the way or a certain achievement has caught my eye that happens to be fairly easy to get, I'll probably go for it. But I generally don't drive myself insane in the pursuit of getting 100%. There are certain exceptions to this (such as Stardew Valley, at the moment) but I have to really love a game to commit to it to that degree.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I love achievements on Steam games. In my opinion they add a little more game time for the game since you want to finish them all (if you're like me) and you won't stop until you either finish them all or you get just close enough to be satisfied with the game completion percentage. For me it's all or nothing, so it gets annoying when games do the whole "no dying" challenge since it's nigh impossible at times to have a perfect game.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I've never played ANY game for the sake of the achievements. There was an "achievement" option in some of the MMOs I've played where you get points for achieving something and in turn, you would earn titles for it, but I never did them. A lot of people also wondered why and told me I'm wasting my time playing lol. I've always just played a game for fun and the story, as far as achievement goes, I could live without them.

kenoobie

Reaction score
Achievements add replay-ability to a game. It is nice to have them but I do not really mind if there isn't one in a game. I love achievements as I take it as a challenge and at the same time an extra objective for a mission. I used to play WoW and would go out of my way to get some achievements. Some achievements give titles which I use as some sort of bragging rights.

pioneerauthor

Reaction score
Yes, I recorded some remarkable achievements in the course of gaming. That was long ago when I used to go on betting along with my friends. I won dozens of time playing game with friends. I also recorded lots of achievements when I represented my department for a computer gaming competition in Slovenia.

yaorice

Reaction score
I feel like it depends on the game for me. Since I mostly just play PC games, in my case if it's heavily story-based then I'll probably get distracted by that and not care as much about achievements and such. But for games like Civ that have really fun achievements and have really high replay value I don't mind going back for some extra achievements. I've definitely never found all achievements for any one game though, I don't have the patience for that / would definitely get bored. Too many games in the world to stick with one for too long!

ZXD22

Reaction score
For steam not Xbox, I just game collect and don't really pay attention to achievements. It's just something I do.

fireball916

Reaction score
I like earning achievements and I'll go out of my way to try and earn a few of them but I won't spend endless hours to earn them. If they're easy to get or I can get them just be naturally playing/grinding through the game then yeah I'll go for them, if not I'll pass.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
For starters I should say that I love meta-gaming. My brother and I used to do things like seeing who could get through Super Mario Bros levels without collecting coins, or getting the most or least points long before achievements were formally a thing. When I play on a system or piece of software that has meta-gaming built in, I usually play through as I see fit the first time. I regard a game as an experience and I don't like to complicate that experience by being worried about a million little objectives. If the game was good, I then play through again trying to do all the little stuff. Achievements have always been a replayability factor for me.