• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Wii U Price Is Not the Problem Says Iwata

Scion

Reaction score
5ccb3913a5.jpg

While the Wii U hasn't sold particularly well, with Nintendo moving just 160,000 units across three months in Q1 2013, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata is holding strong that the system's price isn't the problem - the price discrepancy between the two Wii U models is. "If the price is actually an issue [with Wii U], then there is some contradiction between the current sales balance between the Basic and Premium versions of the Wii U," Iwata told CVG.

"The basic version should have sold a lot, but the fact of the matter is that people are buying more of the premium version. So the issue is not there," he said.

Iwata cited the disparity in sales between the Deluxe and Basic Wii U models in January when noting that the system was selling "steadily," and stated plans in June to regain the system's momentum through the end of the year before establishing "successful third-party Wii U software titles." Iwata has been there before, after all; He took a 50 percent pay cut in July 2011 due to poor 3DS sales around the time the system's price dropped, later selling the 3DS XL at a profit.

Anyone think the Wii U can survive against the upcoming PS4 and Xbox One launches?

Source

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
I think the price is somewhat right but they really need to change the name.

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Demon_skeith said:
I think the price is somewhat right but they really need to change the name.

Really? I think the name is fine. What should the new name be you think?

Also the price isn't an issue, it just needs better games imo.

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
of course it needs games, any gaming console needs games yet some how the big three forgot this simple fact. *shakes head.*

As for the name, it don't clearly state it as a brand new console. Several times while I'm out confused adults are asking if the Wii plays Wii U games and whats the different between a wii and a Wii U, ect.

GameCube

Reaction score
Ironically, the Switch has massive sales. I don't' get it. Why do people think the Switch is so great while they gave the Wii such a lesser reception? The only answer I can think of is that the Switch must be better. In what ways do you think it's better? Is it the portability or the cartridges it uses?

JaiGuru

Reaction score
In hindsight I honestly have to disagree with the late, great Mr. Iwata. Nintendo has eschewed the long-entrenched policy of selling consoles at a loss. And, I mean, good on him trying to turn a profit. That's what's good companies do, after all. But hardware has just about always been a loss-leader for every company who wishes to get in this game, making it up on the back end by supporting it with quality software.

Ultimately there's no one thing you can point at and say "this is why the Wii U under-performed". It had very poor marketing to the point I even experienced people who thought it was a Wii peripheral. Nintendo chose to use proprietary hardware which meant third party developers ran away screaming from it in an age when x86 standardization, and the greater ease of development time and costs that go with it, is the way of the industry. This meant Nintendo had to prop up the hardware almost all by itself, and that is why titles came out at such a slow trickle. While I personally loved the dual screen approach, I don't deny that the tablet controller ate a huge portion of the console's available monetary resources which resulted in a weaker core component set. Though I don't agree it should be, for many people those core numbers are a huge selling point.

But yes, among all of those issues, the price point was off. It was a "weaker" console on paper, which had little third party support, and was sold at pretty much standard price. If Nintendo had taken the loss they may have gotten it in more homes in the long run, making it a big enough competitor to pursued third parties to eat the difficulty of programming for it. You can never know for sure with these "what-if" games we like to play, but I find this to be a compelling argument.