• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Why do you buy hats?

Nate5

Reaction score
I play this game casually, and I must admit that it's a lot of fun, and gave a fresh take on the FPS genre when it was released. I have a friend that plays this game religiously. One day, I saw him with a new expensive guitar, and it turns out he got it by selling hats, a few thousand dollars in total. I would like to ask, if you buy hats, why do you do so? Would you spend over a hundred dollars for these? Do you have friends that do so? If you sell hats, how much have you made>

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
I sell hats. Well, more like, I trade them. I have aquired about 100 games through Team Fortress 2 trading. I really think that Team Fortress 2 was the best game I've ever enountered; not only for the profit, but also for the fantastic gameplay it offered me for about 550 hours. Now, I'm pretty much done with the game, but it will forever be my favorite.

Squigly

Reaction score
For vanity of course, just like DotA 2 cosmetics and CS:GO weapon skins. The good thing about these skins is that you can sell them back on the community market when you tire of them, so you don't really lose that much money. Also you could stand to profit if you trade items and invest in the right items.

JayWifi

Reaction score
I only buy old hats that are no longer valued at a high price and I often buy them from third party websites. I usually only buy hats when they look good in combination with each other. Most of the hats aren't worth it but sometimes I'll find a really cool looking one that I must buy like the Sight for Sore Eyes. :p

castills

Reaction score
I used to buy hats to look great taunting or on the kill-cam. Sadly, my aim was horrible and my specs worse, so I didn't get to enjoy the second. You'd feel accomplished with your progress if there was a Killstreak effect on it, almost like a good luck charm. You'd always find something that looks better on the Steam Marketplace, and enter the trading Valve cycle to "get gud n luk gud".

I tossed all my sellable items on the Market last summer sale, and haven't played since not liking the lack of characters. Look out for Castilla in Paladins, I'll yeah ya.
Just don't spam VHS (I need healing) :p

ZXD22

Reaction score
I buy hats to make a profit in trading. Buy Low Sell High!

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
People should really stop buying in-game skins. They add nothing to the game and sometimes they cost more than the actual game. Not just TF2. It seems Valve has a habit of not making games and are simply making profit off of collectibles, skins, and drops. Yikes, but hey, I'd do it too in their situation. Constant revenue for no work at all after releasing the skins? Yes, please!

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I don't buy hats. Sorry, I don't get them and I don't really have time or the energy to slowly make a profit out of them... They might be nice, but it's seriously a feature of the game that I completely ignore.