• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Oculus Rift

TheFreeman

Reaction score
For those who have been in the dark for the few past months, Oculus Rift is a virtual-reality head-mounted display that was funded through Kickstarter, eventually receiving $2.4 million in crowdfunding.

What makes this device different from other similar head-mounted displays is that it has a large field of view, stereoscopic 3D and head tracking. The project has also been endorsed by gaming industry figures like John Carmack and Gabe Newell, which in my opinion means a lot. ;)

At the moment you can only pre-order the development kit, with a consumer-oriented version planned to be released later with better specifications and more features.

The official site is here:
http://www.oculusvr.com/

Hidden308

Reaction score
I watched the video it looks cool. I might get one myself once it's released. :)

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Wow. This is amazing!

I am on kick starter all the time. How did I miss this? I would have loved to get some money in to that myself. There is no question on how they raised so much. This is something promising, and is working with the technology we have today to develop it. It is amazing really. I am sure to see what this is about when it is released.

Mattmattics

Reaction score
I have played the Oculus Rift and it's amazing. I don't know if it will change the gaming world the way it was proclaimed, but it was fun.

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I've always thought the Oculus Rift looked really cool. Owning it is a pipe dream, though...the headset alone is $500, and I'd have to upgrade my computer to make it "Oculus-ready".

timstargraal

Reaction score
The Oculus Rift seemed like the best thing when it was announced. It was probably one of the first “new-gen” VR for the PC and seemed great, though it wasn’t supported by many games. After the HTC Vive was released it just seems to be abandoned. No one seems to use it anymore and since it’s so expensive, you better off buy the HTC Vive for an extra $300 which isn’t little but it’s much more worth it.

overcast

Reaction score
I think VR has a lot of future. And more and more people are going to adapt to such things. You can see that such goggles are going to be a lot of demand when more and more apps are also into that category. I have used this and so far that is working out for me. I may have to make use of the Xiaomi's Mi VR because occulus rift is not available in my city.

kenoobie

Reaction score
VR seems to be the next thing as more studios are creating more content for the platform. Entry point seems to be high though. I hope VR succeeds as it would open up a lot of possibilities for gaming.

MLF

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you watch Silicon Valley on HBO, but the current storylines revolve around the company that is basically Facebook buying VR and it being totally worthless. Considering this thread was opened 5 years ago and the Rift has basically been DOA, that tells you VR just isn't feasible for the mass market still. Is it the computing power needed? Lack of software and developer support? Just lack of interest from the masses?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
As someone who easily gets motion sickness, I don't think this device is for me. The idea of even .01 seconds of delay in a first person view would make me dizzy, so I really don't want to touch this thing until I see actual gameplay. For now the mouse and keyboard is more than enough to provide amazing gaming experience, and I can adjust the FOV and head bob animations on certain games if the motion sickness gets too much for me to handle.