• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Has counter strike changed a lot since version 1.6?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I've played Counter Strike 1.6 a lot as a kid. I was curious if these newer CS games have changed much since then? I have never played the newer ones, and I am wondering what they are like. Any good news?

goofy goober

Reaction score
CSGO is the 2nd biggest game behind dota 2 on steam so that's good I guess. 1.6 players say stuff like "back in my day everything was balanced yadda yadda yadda". The game has definitely changed and gotten more popular but it's up to you to decide

ASC

Reaction score
Things have changed A LOT since 1.6, but you seriously need to play CS:GO. :p

Also, I really hope you've played CS:S...

Referal

Reaction score
Yes a lot has changed new updates etc CSGO has been doing great ever since

Jay90

Reaction score
You should try CS:GO! I like 1.6 more than source, but I love GO!
The recoil and movement speed will be noticeably different to you.

Bear

Reaction score
CS:GO has changed so much since 1.6 but it still has the same, great tactical style. I recommend you try CS:GO. I've got over 700 hours on it and I've enjoyed most of that time not including when I was raging. I've also gotten into trading skins from the game but that's not part of the game play.

Tronikart

Reaction score
It has changed a lot, and it keeps on changing, the competitive scene is amazing and I enjoy watching the games, hoping that some day I get to play mildly better and not die instantly as I do. There has been some questionable updates but overall it has been improving more and more, balancing out things and keeping the game alive.

timstargraal

Reaction score
Yes, CS has changed A LOT since the 1.6 version. Since the original Counter Strike came out, it barely got any updates. After 3 games made by Valve and a game constantly getting updated (Global Offensive) obviously has change a lot. From just changing the game mechanics itself, adding new guns and making balances, the game is completely different from the original and is making changes for the community, now being more of a multiplayer and competitive game. So yes, though it may have some of the same features and characteristics, CS:GO is very different to the original Counter Strike (1.6)

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
You should try CS:GO! I like 1.6 more than source, but I love GO!
The recoil and movement speed will be noticeably different to you.
Do they still have the De_dust map and deathmatch? Those were the only 2 maps worth playing back when I played it with my classmates in Elementary. Other maps in my opinion took too long to navigate and are not familiar enough with the right crowd to actually be playable competitively. I'm all for trying new things, but I get dizzy if I have to navigate unknown maps in that game.

NotCasual

Reaction score
Do they still have the De_dust map and deathmatch? Those were the only 2 maps worth playing back when I played it with my classmates in Elementary. Other maps, in my opinion, took too long to navigate and are not familiar enough with the right crowd to actually be playable competitively. I'm all for trying new things, but I get dizzy if I have to navigate unknown maps in that game.

Sounds like you just didn't like the maps because you didn't know them and thus never played them. Dust2 is not even the best map for competitive play as it doesn't allow for many strategies, and has even been taken out of the competitive map pool, although you can still play it. Other maps offer more variation and more options for the terrorist side. Most pros never play it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Sounds like you just didn't like the maps because you didn't know them and thus never played them. Dust2 is not even the best map for competitive play as it doesn't allow for many strategies, and has even been taken out of the competitive map pool, although you can still play it. Other maps offer more variation and more options for the terrorist side. Most pros never play it.
Yeah maybe you're right, I hate change. But when I was playing 10 years ago, there were only 2 maps that were used, Dust and Deathmatch. I figure it's the most commonly used maps since they're the most popular where I'm from. I actually got the CSGO game a few days ago during the Steam Sale. It's ok, lots of detail and small additions to the map, but all in all it's still the same game. I'm surprised to see false grenades though.

overcast

Reaction score
I think CS GO has changed lot more than the basic 1.6. You can see that graphics, plots, maps, and multiplayer version has changed a lot of that part. And as you can see if you are aiming for CS GO, you should consider playing with friends. This way you'd find that fun aspect remains the same in even new version.

valy

Reaction score
Yes, I think it did, C.S.G.O. changed from the basic 1.6. I think that the gun is 100% accurate when you are jumping as long as you are not moving forward, left, right or back, and the deagle is much harder to learn and play with. I enjoy a lot playing CSGO and I hope it will remain like this and not get a bug like the 1.6. version!

forumheem

Reaction score
Yes, it definitely changed a lot. The graphics changed significantly but that is obvious. The playability changed a lot too, in my opinion, models, hitboxes are refined, the game is more enjoyable to play than it was in CS 1.6

Hikin33t

Reaction score
Yeah, there's better hit registration now. Better textures and coding, too. The scene, too, changed considerably over the years. It's now the leading competitive e-sport.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it invented "surfing"

djdanilo

Reaction score
CS:GO changed a lot comparing to the 1.6 version, this coming from a guy that played 1.6 for 4-5 years, I made a break of one year between 1.6 and CS:GO and when I started playing it felt like I was playing Counter Strike for the first time in my life. Maybe it was the one year break or something, I don't know, but I played very bad, and I was a very good 1.6 player. It took me about a month of playing to get used to it, but of course I agree with everyone that Counter Strike has come a long way and CS:GO is better than 1.6 and I recommend everyone that likes FPS games to play it. Cheers