• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Do you follow CSGO eSports events?

Dabstin

Reaction score
When I first started playing the game I didn't know what the appeal was in watching two teams kill each other in an FPS game. However as I understood the game more and more, I realized there was a lot more to it than that. Watching coordinated teams play against each other in competitive matches was so much different than how I played the game with friends or random people online. They use a lot of strategy and teamwork to achieve victory, raw skill comes last in the matches I watched.

So in the end I found myself binge watching a group of old matches from previous years between huge teams like Fnatic, EnVyUs, virtus.pro, etc... It's quite fascinating. However I don't know how or where to follow upcoming events in case I want to watch them live. Do any of you follow any of these events? Can you educate me? :p

Squigly

Reaction score
I've watched only the major events like Katowice and Dreamhack, partly because of the chance of dropping souvenir cases (The Cobblestone one is worth ~$30, which is pretty awesome).

I find the player personalities of CS:GO to be quite nice, especially Pashabiceps! However I don't really find myself rooting for any team in particular, I usually just watch player streams.

Dabstin

Reaction score
I've watched only the major events like Katowice and Dreamhack, partly because of the chance of dropping souvenir cases (The Cobblestone one is worth ~$30, which is pretty awesome).

I find the player personalities of CS:GO to be quite nice, especially Pashabiceps! However I don't really find myself rooting for any team in particular, I usually just watch player streams.
Oh nice, I didn't know you could get drops from watching these matches. o: That'll come in handy. Anyway, what I wanted to know was how to follow these events. Do they have regular championships/tournaments quarterly/yearly or anything like that?

Squigly

Reaction score
Most of the major events should be displayed on the Counter-Strike blog. So far Katowice and Dreamhack have been annual competitions, but there's bound to be more majors popping up as the playerbase continues to grow.

god of war 2

Reaction score
It's a bit difficult to learn the ins-and-outs of every team on the professional circuit now. Even just trying to memorize the notable teams is far too difficult. It's easy, really, to get 5 minutes of fame with a mildly decent team. I only really know the big dogs - NiP, EnVyUs, teams like that. I even try to watch the Long Match a few times a year, even, the one that went into triple overtime and just barely squeaked out of quadruple overtime. The teams display an insane amount of control and stamina over almost two hour's worth worth of grueling play, it's inspiring. The tactics, too, constantly changing; I'm sure every memorized smoke, every play in the playbook, that teaming multitude was all both remembered and used. There's no nailbiter like it really -- it's analogous to The Play.

Mangasniko

Reaction score
I really enjoy watching cs go tournaments, especially majors where the prize pool is insane and all the teams battle for who is the best team in the world!
I also get inspired from pro games by seeing their tactics, their team play and their decisions in the game.

Atropia

Reaction score
I used to watch every upcoming tournament quite religiously, however, it soon got to the point of me just periodically catching the final of a major or big event.

Bear

Reaction score
I recently took a long break from CS:GO but I've come back in the past 2 weeks and I'm most likely going to start watching ESports events again. I used to watch most of the CS:GO majors but I stopped when I stopped playing the game. I remember the fun I had cheering NIP on and I'm looking forward to the next major.

christopher murray

Reaction score
I don't follow CSGO esports event because I don't know what it is or what it does to the computer or if it's virus.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I used to follow it a bit, that was when I played nothing but CS:GO. Haven't bothered lately as I'd rather play it myself. I have been watching some Rocket League tournaments though.

lexcion

Reaction score
CS:GO is definitely one of my favorite e-sports to watch. It has a lot of clutch moments and a very high skill cap so I find it interesting how professionals play compare to my solo queue matches.

DontTouchMe

Reaction score
I sometimes watch matches, mostly it's when I can get a case out of it. And all the popular team names are familiar to me, but I really don't know who is in what team, any team changes, who is the best at the moment and that kind of things.

astroroid10293

Reaction score
I really enjoy watching larger Counter-Strike events, such as the majors. Watching the gameplay of the pros can help me develop my strats, and positioning. The intense moments keep me watching (as well as those Souvenir Cases they drop :smile:), seeing players such as Scream play out some nice clutches.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I do watch CS:GO events IF I happen to see them on Twitch.tv or something. I don't know by head when each event will happen or mark my calendar religiously. So, if I see one that's currently happening, then yes I tune in.

I think CS:GO events and tournaments are always such good quality and provide these intense moments where you don't know down to the very last second who will win. They tend to have very good organizations behind them and that's what makes their events so special compared to other games. Also, you can learn a lot just watching the pro strats and the way they move and so on.

timstargraal

Reaction score
I personally watch only the interesting games. I’m a G2 Esports fan so yes, I watch interesting games with them, though what I count as interesting is against a harder team so when they do end up losing most of the times which can be quite disappointing. That’s pretty much how many esports games I watch, which is rarely ever, around once a month or interesting matches or the finals in majors.

WarVet

Reaction score
I do enjoy watching it now and then but i would prefer watching a real sport over watching a virtual one. Not really a fan of this E-sport hype. Back in my teenage years we had CS 1.6 and it was quite the fever over here. It was not untill i went to college that i found out CS:GO existed. After a year or two i thought "Hey lets give it a try for old times sake" and it was a very good game indeed. Now i never would have imagined CS:GO would become this popular.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I don't follow it but I know there was a player in the international competition who got disqualified for taking Adderall for increased concentration. Can you imagine? We now we live in a world where people cheat to win a video game. It is insane, but I guess we now know he KNEW he couldn't match up with everyone else without having to resort to cheating to even get a shot.

NotCasual

Reaction score
I used to follow the events solely because of my betting addiction, now I follow them to watch good Counter-Strike. Somehow, these events really spark my drive to compete in CS and get better, which often ends up in me playing while the event is ongoing instead of actually watching the event. I'm also not a fan of any team. I really don't cheer for any team, I just want the team that plays the best CS to win. Sure, I'd like my countrymate in Mousesports to win an event, but I don't feel like cheering for them because I know they aren't good enough to make it deep into the tournament anyway. If they beat a team like SK to advance into the semifinals, it feels like a waste of a good semifinal.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I used to follow the events solely because of my betting addiction, now I follow them to watch good Counter-Strike. Somehow, these events really spark my drive to compete in CS and get better, which often ends up in me playing while the event is ongoing instead of actually watching the event. I'm also not a fan of any team. I really don't cheer for any team, I just want the team that plays the best CS to win. Sure, I'd like my countrymate in Mousesports to win an event, but I don't feel like cheering for them because I know they aren't good enough to make it deep into the tournament anyway. If they beat a team like SK to advance into the semifinals, it feels like a waste of a good semifinal.
Yup, seeing pros play would really make you try harder on your game. I saw a few videos of Dota 2 competitions and I was really pumped up to improve my game... for an hour or two. Afterwards I just got bored again and I would play a different game. See, if I play something long enough, it gets too repetitive and my drive evaporates almost instantly.

anaatef9

Reaction score
I used to love watching every event last year. Now due to my time being limited i only follow events where fnatic play. since i join watching cs go in the fnatic era they are my favorite team. I like that they have good personality. I watch olofmeister personal stream and he is entertaining. So i try to keep up with events that fnatic do well in even if i miss them live. Niko is also one of my favorite players so if i am free i try to watch Faze.

I feel like there are alot of cs go events recently which really reduces the quality of these events .