• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

CHIP $9 PC

Hugop

Reaction score
C.H.I.P. is a small PC that packs a 1-GHz R8 processor, 512 MB of RAM and 4GB of flash storage. Unlike the $35 Raspberry Pi that costs $35,this tiny device will have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth built in. It is powered by one of the Debian version and can run most Linux programs.

Kickstarter link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...er?ref=popular

Michael

Reaction score
I don't know what would be a good for CHIP. However, I am surprised that they almost made 2 million off this thing. I think Chip would be good for your little kids if they are new to gaming. It's quite funny how in this generation that everything is getting smaller and smaller. I could use 4GB on my laptop :p

Patrick

Reaction score
I don't know what would be a good for CHIP. However, I am surprised that they almost made 2 million off this thing. I think Chip would be good for your little kids if they are new to gaming. It's quite funny how in this generation that everything is getting smaller and smaller. I could use 4GB on my laptop :p
First thing that comes to mind is a portable Retro Arcade. I would love to have a SNES, GBA/GBC, NES, Sega, etc. with me when I'm out all for $9. That's a steal.

RivaCom

Reaction score
Same thing Rasberry Pi was good for. Everything you can think of!. I will be getting CHIP or similar soon to setup some home automation.

overcast

Reaction score
I think such machines can be good for basic computing. But I dont see them for the gaming. I mean even playing snake or the tetris would hang this sort of machine. And the price being that low it'd be painful to upgrade. It's better to focus on the higher end machine if anyone wants to play the game there as well. I don't think such machines are of any worth.

MLF

Reaction score
I think such machines can be good for basic computing. But I dont see them for the gaming. I mean even playing snake or the tetris would hang this sort of machine. And the price being that low it'd be painful to upgrade. It's better to focus on the higher end machine if anyone wants to play the game there as well. I don't think such machines are of any worth.
Say what? You could load Snake into TI calculators back in the day. Those specs are good enough to run most emulators provided there is a working Linux port.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
It's pretty nice actually, but not a lot of things you could do with it. I guess it's much better to buy a phone that has better specs than this. This would be good if you're trying to emulate old retro games like the SNES or the NES, probably even the Gameboy Advanced consoles, but I doubt that this will work really good on PSOne emulation. Then again, we'll never know if we don't try.

MLF

Reaction score
It's pretty nice actually, but not a lot of things you could do with it. I guess it's much better to buy a phone that has better specs than this. This would be good if you're trying to emulate old retro games like the SNES or the NES, probably even the Gameboy Advanced consoles, but I doubt that this will work really good on PSOne emulation. Then again, we'll never know if we don't try.
The Playstation 1 had a 33.8688 MHz processor and 2MB of RAM.

valy

Reaction score
I agree with Michael, Chip would be good for kids, to see cartoons, listen music and play small games. We are real gamers, and i don't think here would be anybody to buy it! Thank you Hugo for posting about this and sharing a link, is a good info for some!

Denis_P

Reaction score
As others have said, while it has pretty limited potential for modern gaming it would be pretty great for creating an all-in-one retro gaming console. I assume that it would be able to emulate NES, SNES and other 16-bit era games pretty much perfectly, and probably has suffice power to emulate most PlayStation One and Nintendo 64 games. You could stuff entire libraries of games on it and take your pick of console and game just about anywhere, same as people have been doing with the Pi albeit way cheaper now.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I'm picturing this as a smart phone. But this one is a bit cheaper.
I wonder what other upgrades they have made now.

fishmonk

Reaction score
This PC is okay for doing small tasks. However, I already have a tablet and I am not sure I would use it . I think there is potential for it in the market.

overcast

Reaction score
This PC is okay for doing small tasks. However, I already have a tablet and I am not sure I would use it . I think there is potential for it in the market.
I agree the target market here is the people who just want to see some stuff on the screen and do some basic stuff like email. I don't think the device is meant for doing some heavy work. In fact I am seeing that it'd not be possible for the device to even for the office work. It is going to have it's share of lags.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I agree the target market here is the people who just want to see some stuff on the screen and do some basic stuff like email. I don't think the device is meant for doing some heavy work. In fact I am seeing that it'd not be possible for the device to even for the office work. It is going to have it's share of lags.
Yes, I think this type of devices would be great for education usage though. Third world countries will be able to use this effectively for starters.I know many children from there have not even touched an electronic device. By lowering costs of such devices, I think lower-income people can have their own pocket PC.

thart

Reaction score
What we can do with this PC?
I think it will be useful for only small tasks.