• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

#xboxorweriot, what are your thoughts on this?

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
Two weeks ago at E3, Sony had announced a partnership with Activision in which Playstation systems would get the marketing rights to Call of Duty games as well as the DLC 1 month first.

This is the same thing Microsoft enjoyed for almost 10 years running. Many xbox fans didn't take well to this and as a result, fans created a twitter movement, officially called #xboxorweriot. This was created in hopes that Activision breaks their contract with Sony and resume the one that had with Microsoft for a decade.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is here. Playstation and PC gamers had to deal with year after year after year. I don't remember seeing either fanbase taking to twitter and starting movements over it.

If you're a pro gamer, I can sympathize a little because it means now you would have to buy all new scuf equipment for the PS4 version to continue your professional gaming career if Sony is now a sponsor to MLG. But in truth, that's just business. MLG used PS2 before the 360 move. So it's not like it's the first time they've moved from one brand to another.

I think people are just making too much of this need to look at the reality of this. And the reality is this is business.

niightwind

Reaction score
I definitely agree; people are making far too big a deal out of this. I understand the hassle it can be to have to get all new gaming equipment, but I honestly believe that in the long run it is not nearly as horrible as they're making it out to be. Like you said, this is something that has happened with many games; I've had to splurge on a lot of new consoles to be able to get games in series I've been following because they switched companies or consoles, and some of them (looking at you as always, Wii) I only used for that one game that I wanted and then nothing else came out again. Never been riot worthy to me.

Maybe I just don't understand it entirely, though. If fans feel some sense of loyalty towards the game being on Xbox for whatever reason (be it Xbox is their preferred console, they don't like PS gaming systems or don't want to switch, whatever), well, so be it. I don't get it, but fair enough.

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
To be honest, this kind of switch should have been expected anyway. The PS4 has the faster/bigger growing install base.

Then when you look at how Destiny went for Activision, we should have probably saw this coming. Sony has had a lot of marketing deals this gen so far. They've had Destiny, Batman, This years Assassin's Creed, Star Wars, Watch Dogs, and now Call of Duty.

That's not to say Xbox didn't have their own thus far. They had last years Assassin's Creed, Witcher 3, Evolve, and the Crew.

We'll probably see much more of these kinds of Campaigns the more the PS4 outsells the Xb1 because more deals will get first dibs and marketing on Playstation.

Martin

Reaction score
It is pretty pathetic in my opinion. It's business and Activision are obviously going to want to partner with the console with the larger install base because it will otherwise mean they are neglecting DLC sales to a larger population of players otherwise which is just bad business for profits.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I honestly don't see the big fuss over it. Then again though, I don't play competitively.
It's COD, can't we just let it die already?
Ha ha. Winning post right here ;)

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
It's pathetic, that's all I really have to say about it. #PCMasterRace

RivaCom

Reaction score
I honestly don't see the big fuss over it. Then again though, I don't play competitively.

Ha ha. Winning post right here ;)
It's true, although maybe it's just because im old and remember the good old days where games had a little skill and thought put into them. Now it's all about who can wave the DLC the highest.