• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Why does CoD: Ghosts get so much hate?

Squigly

Reaction score
A quick look on Steam sees many people saying not to buy Ghosts, but stick with Black Ops instead.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/209160/reviews/

Personally I think that it is still a fun game at heart. There isn't that much innovation, granted, but the core elements which made Call of Duty one of the most popular FPS games remain there. You even get a dog to cover your back, and much more soldier customisation options, which is pretty cool.

Is there something else I'm missing on that can explain why this game gets so much hate?

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally dislike all CoD games after the first Black Ops. It's just becoming too overkill, although I didn't mind Black Ops 2, it still felt rather overkill. Campaign is becoming worse with each release, and online isn't improving at all.
I guess it all just comes down to preferences and personal taste with games, especially the Call of Duty series, there's so many mixed reviews on it.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
There are a lot of negatives in that steam review thread.

To be honest, I have been saying this for years. I feel as if the CoD series are not really bringing anything new to the table. I feel as if it is the same game just sort of "re skinned" and re packaged.

The new one that will be coming out, "Advanced Warfare" seems to be the only CoD game in the last 8 years to bring something new. Even still, it seems to be their response from the highly successful Titanfall game.

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I lost interest in the CoD franchise when Ghost's hit the store. I quite liked Black Ops II. Honestly, the best war game i've played is either Arma II or Battlefield. I feel they are quite realistic.

Squigly

Reaction score
So, as someone who plays CS:GO for the competitive ladder, and is looking to another PC multiplayer FPS for more casual play, would ARMA, Battlefield or Company of Heroes be the best?

I am not too interested in single-player campaigns, or futuristic shooters like Warframe. That was something I didn't particularly like about Ghosts I suppose - the Extinction gamemode and all those alien robots >.>

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want a more realistic game, ARMA would most likely be your most preferable option. Battlefield isn't too far behind however.

Extinction was horrible, I loved Zombies in the WaW/Black Ops series and would have loved something more like that. Ghosts had a weird concept about it with that to be honest.

Reactions: COD

lorcan

Reaction score
After awhile the Call of duty was getting very repetitive, it was the same platform same graphics. However I think they are getting better with the missions, they have some story line to it which I find good.

ReaperTV

Reaction score
There's quite a few reasons to hate ghosts.

1. I.E.D's. They require a very small amount of skill to use and encourage camping. Somebody can use extra lethal and have two of them. Then walk into a building with one window and door. Put an ied at the door and watch the window. Then sit there and wait. This hurts the teams objective play(especially in Domination). Also its just very annoying.

2. Terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE map design. Most maps are completely one sided where the other team has a huge advantage. Plus the way the maps are designed, like warhawk. If one team gets the b flag in warhawk they almost always win the game because its way to difficult to get it.

3. Spawn system. Although they did fix it(at the end of the games life cycle) it was really bad for the most part and still messes up.

4. Terrible gun balancing. LMG without recoil that kills in 3 shots. Only 2 good subs.

5. Assault perks are terrible.

6. 24 gigs to install with less than average par graphics. Even on PC (ultra) the graphics are bad.

7. Speaking of PC, its unplayable.

8. No dedicated servers. Most of the game you lag.

Deedubs

Reaction score
The game is alright, though that is pushing it. Extinction is the only thing I play now because of the horrible online matchup system that almost reminds me of the mw3 matchmaking. Guns like the honey badger just make the game impossible to play because of the built in silencer. But to say something good about the game, xbox 360 has good servers and so does ps3, COD has never really been PC friendly

Dadas

Reaction score
It's just a terrible game in my opinion. The spawn system is garbage. Extinction is boring. The gun balancing is pretty terrible. It's extremely laggy. Yeah just terrible. All though I did like the campaign.

Pudge

Reaction score
Sure, it's not exactly the most innovative series, but Pokemon isn't either. You see no one complaining about how there's not enough innovation there.

It gets hate because it's the most popular FPS, and people love to hate popular things. I understand that CoD is more beginner friendly than other FPS games, and hardcore FPS players don't like that.

COD

Reaction score
I found it to be pretty boring, but I thought that Black OPs 2 was even worse. I was looking forward to playing both of them and went out and got them both at the same time. I finished the campaign in Ghosts, but got so bored with Black Ops2, that I didn't even bother to finish it after the first few levels.

COD

Reaction score
If you want a more realistic game, ARMA would most likely be your most preferable option. Battlefield isn't too far behind however.

Extinction was horrible, I loved Zombies in the WaW/Black Ops series and would have loved something more like that. Ghosts had a weird concept about it with that to be honest.
I'm getting tired of COD and am planning to buy some of the Battlefield games when I get some extra cash. I agree about Ghosts, the survival game was weird, but I did get addicted to it for a few days, and then I grew tired of it rather quickly after that.

sapett

Reaction score
I feel a lot of the backlash the game received is a result of the campaign/story line. I think people are not as impressed with the futuristic scenarios in the game. The content is new, but all the original mechanics have remained from previous Call of Duty games. It is sort of predictable, which I believe is disappointing for a lot of people.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
I honestly disagree with a lot of people here, and can account for the negativity that you see by agreeing with a small point mentioned above.

I love CoD. I know it's a reskin, and I don't care. I would play it all day because my friends play it. I just stopped buying call of duty when I switched to PC

That is because one of my friends made the jump and bought advanced warfare right as it came out, and basically wasted 60 buvns. As of yet there haven't been many successful pc ports for the cod series, therefore leading to MANY negative reviews.

I wish there was a solid port in the upcoming one, but I doubt it. They make waaaay too much money off of consoles to care about pc

PackmanHD

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of most Call of Duty games, but Ghosts really isn't for me. I'd say I definitely consider it to be the worst CoD game of the last 5 years, but I do have my reasons for that.

The first thing I heavily disliked in the game was what could only be described as a bland colour selection for the maps. I feel like every online map was dominated by these light blue/grey colours, and it really made the multiplayer experience one of the least memorable ones in the CoD franchise.

Also I couldn't even finish the campaign, and the extinction mode to me was just a poor replacement for zombies to me. I really hope the next game by Infinity Ward isn't Ghosts 2, but who knows, maybe they could smash it out of the park!

bleblanc10

Reaction score
I never understood all the hate. The online was about par for the course with CoD games and I actually really liked the story mode.

AWPEK

Reaction score
In my perspective, I think the reason Call of Duty: Ghost gets so much hate is, because of the removal of some the classical things that we would often see in the Call of Duty franchise. For example, in most of the common Call of Duty games, we could do trick shots with sniper rifles, use UAV to spot our enemies, and use guns that we favor. However in Call of Duty Ghost, you have to use your understanding of the map to locate your enemies (no UAVs), most of the classical guns were removed with some new ones, and the sniper rifle had an increase in its first person view in the scope which makes it extremely difficult to do quick shots or even trick shots. If those various things were removed or changed then I believe Call of Duty Ghost could have been a huge success.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I've only played it once and that was on PC when it was free for a weekend on Steam. I had so many texture errors and they looked awful. That's why I never played it again.

Bear

Reaction score
I don't consider Ghosts to be a bad game. I think that the only reason it really got hate is because Black Ops 2 was such a great game and Ghosts didn't live up to expectations. I like Ghost's multiplayer but the campaign wasn't the best. I don't even play Call Of Duty anymore, I'm more into tactical shooters now but that's the way I remember Ghost's being.