• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Why buy new when used is available?

GameCube

Reaction score
There might be people into high-class stuff who only want new - as in new clothes, new games etc.. However, the quality of a mint condition used game might be as high as for the opposite. In that case, why throw money away?

Salamander Man 2

Reaction score
I agree with you in this statement in which why buy a new game for 60 dollars when someone already returned it and it dropped down to like 30-40 dollars since it's used.

Not Sag

CW Super Admin
Reaction score
I guess some people just prefer the new fresh mint condition games rather than used. I can say that I'd actually rather buy new over used but I can see your point and do agree.

Mace

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The same reason people prefer fresh new memes over old used ones

JaiGuru

Reaction score
My experiences have been pretty poor when it comes to buying used games in the post-cartridge world. Usually "used" means "we broke it, but maybe not enough for Store X to notice so we'll resell it to them and make it someone else's problem.". I've bought consoles with jacked up disk trays and plugs, disks that had minute scratches in them that were just bad enough you didn't think they'd be a problem until you hit a certain spot in the game and it crashes. And the problem is that sites like E-bay and Gamestop have essentially standardized the prices of used games to be as high as humanly possible. I can take a risk on a used game...or just pay 5-10 dollars more to get something with an actual warrantee that likely didn't drop in someone's toilet or get thrown around by their kid. It's just not worth the hassle.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I do not always buy new games. Most of the times I wait for the sales to buy the games. I also buy second hand games from my friends every now and then. Some new games can be really expensive to buy.

gelotologist

Reaction score
I think the reason why they buy new ones rather than used is the feeling of being assured of something. assurance that the item they both wouldn't get them into trouble or would caused a problem. For me, I would buy new too instead of used ones, it's because people are people, scammers are everywhere and I also did have an experienced being scammed when I did buy a controller for my PS3 then suddenly he changed the controller to a fake one. That's why it's up to the person if he would take risk or not.

valy

Reaction score
This kind of people who always want new things in all domains are people who have a lot of money and they can afford such a behavior. We the usual people who live from a small salary we use the old games or wait for discounts or vouchers, and in some cases, we wait until the game will be available for free!

GameCube

Reaction score
I think wanting the best stuff can be good and bad. I mean, I like the best stuff sometimes. For instance, I am willing to pay more for premium forum software. However, though, there are cases where I would prefer to buy lesser stuff, like a used vehicle, (maybe even one from the 90s). It's because I don't value transportation as much as web development.

Anyway, though, I am against elitist snobs. For instance, in a lot of ways, MyBB is as good as XenForo and I don't diss free forum software owners.

Carol Fulcher

Reaction score
There might be people into high-class stuff who only want new - as in new clothes, new games etc.. However, the quality of a mint condition used game might be as high as for the opposite. In that case, why throw money away?
Agree with you!