• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Which MOBA game do you like the best?

Which MOBA title do you prefer?

• LoL

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Dota2

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • HoN

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Smite

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

Nate5

Reaction score
Ever since Dota was developed, it has taken the eSports world by storm, and now it garners millions of players and millions of viewers every day. It has become a super popular genre. However, there are many different titles in this genre, such as League of Legends, Dota2, Heroes of Newerth, and Smite, each with its own special tweaks, mechanics, and character lore. Which one is your favourite? What draws your appeal to it? What makes it better than the other games in the MOBA genre?

Miles Hansen

Reaction score
I play LOL the most, but when it comes to gameplay I actually prefer Smite to be honest. I suck so bad, but it's really fun, especially with friends. I feel like with Dota and to some extend LOL I get bored withing just a couple of hours of play, but with smite I can sometimes play for up towards 4 or 5 hours in a row without going completely insane. I'm much better at LOL though, it's kind of sad

huckfinn

Reaction score
I voted for Dota 2, but have to admit that it's mainly because it's the one I just happened to end up playing. In the past I played a lot of Dota Allstars, the Warcraft III custom game that both Dota 2 and League of Legends are based on, but I quit playing long before League of Legends came around so I never really got into that. Then when Dota 2 was released I was curious to see how it compared to the original and how much had changed since I stopped playing Dota Allstars, so I gave it a try and got hooked on it again. I do prefer the visual style of Dota 2 and the fact that every hero is unlocked right from the get-go, and the fact that more of my friends play Dota 2 definitely helps as well.

It does seem that League of Legends is a lot more accessible for newer players - if I had to recommend one to someone who's never played MOBAs before, I would probably recommend LoL over Dota 2. I have yet to try Smite, but it does look like a lot of fun - it also seems like quite an original approach to the genre. I'll have to give it a shot.

On a side note, has anyone tried Vainglory, the MOBA for iPad? Even though it looks interesting, I have to say I'm not convinced that the genre is very well-suited for touch devices. I'd be interested in hearing in what people think though!

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
The only MOBA games I've played are LoL & Dota, I did not like LoL one bit and found it quite boring. I found Dota quite fun to play and could play for a solid 5 hour period, although it does become boring after a while. Anyways, Dota's my favourite.

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
Dota 2 is my favorite MOBA, started playing last year and it's now my most played video game ever haha, blame my friends for getting me into it. I have some interest in trying League, although a few things like the art style, move speed and the way a lot of skills use the radial dial put me off. Smite looks pretty cool mainly for the uniqueness of having a third person perspective spin on what MOBA players have come to know.

Jack

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've played Dota 2, and that's the only one. And to be honest, I hate MOBA game's. I really do. They bore me.

primaLucid

Reaction score
Hands down, League of Legends is my favorite MOBA. To be honest, I was doubtful about trying League. I thought it looked something like World of Warcraft, since I didn't know what a MOBA was back then. I thought it would be some nerdy lore and just fighting people. Sure, there's a bit of both in League, but I was completely wrong about my expectations of the game. I was quickly drawn into the game, and quickly became addicted. Although it took me to get into it, I have been a daily player since early 2013, and I still enjoy League. I've tried Dota, but it's not the same. I love League for its simplicity and gameplay.

Epicfied

Reaction score
I would have to say as of right now League of Legends is my favorite MOBA. Part of this is probably due to the fact that it was my first MOBA and this is a game I made many connects and great friends in. One of my good friends (met in LoL) has talked me into trying a few different MOBAs, especially recently. I never got into Dota or Dota 2, I'm not exactly sure why. I hated Smite.
Within the last couple months, I've tried Strife, Dawn Gate, and TOME (maybe one or two more I can't think of). I might mix a couple of these up because I didn't play them a lot but I think Strife was alright. Dawn Gate was enjoyable. I really like TOME... I played towards the end of the beta, just keep in mind they're all really simplified Leagues, it seems. TOME still needs to work on some queuing issues. I always go back to League though when it comes to MOBAs.

Side note: I was a Season 1 League player and I've stuck with it since. Sadly, I didn't play in the beta.

Pudge

Reaction score
I voted Dota, been playing it for a long time now (8 years or so). I just like the way it plays. I also feel that the hero abilites and items are a lot more interesting in Dota than in other MOBAs. For example, you can buy an item which lets you blink (essentially a flash in LoL) every few seconds. Also, the roles and the metagame are not as defined as in LoL, which results in a lot of interesting item and strategy choices in regular matchmaking.

I do play LoL a bit too though, especially when my friends are online.

xpictoc

Reaction score
It seems I'm the only with a preference for HoN so far. I've been playing it for several years with a few friends and we all feel like it has the highest "skill cap" of the different MOBA games. Amazing players can really make a difference (and not just with carries) with some of the more difficult but rewarding heroes. One example is Silhouette, with her ultimate that disjoints and spawn an illusion, leaving her with the option to farm two different lanes as she can swap with her illusion every few seconds. I've seen good Silhouette players absolutely demolish entire teams even without the best items. The community is bad, but that's a given in any MOBA game, right?

zanderlex

Reaction score
My favorite MOBA is Smite. I have played Dota2 and LoL before and could never get the hang of them. Not only did I like playing Smite, but I was also good at it as well.

Bradley

Reaction score
League of Legends.
I've played it for a little while now and I think it's amazing.
I'm not the best player, but I do enjoy it.

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
I don't really like mobas but I enjoy Dota

RivaCom

Reaction score
Not HotS? Maybe I only like HOTS because there isn't as much detail to do with it. As I'm already got that covered with MMO's. LoL never appealed to me.

Tweakdev

Reaction score
The only MOBAs I played were League of Legends and Smite.
1. League of Legends is only fun if you are playing with a group of friends, besides that there is always leechers, I know there are begineers in the game, I was also one before. The community is just way too bad and there is always immature players raging on against each others, not worth to play alone unless you don't care or you just want to waste time.

2. I am not really huge fun of MOBA games but this one if my favorite, I play it like once in a week, I am starting to dislike it a bit since when you play alone there is always stupid people, the community is slowly degrading to the League of Legends level. Besides that I love to play as Ymir or Ra.

rootle

Reaction score
I can't really answer this question because I've barely tried any apart from LoL. But to be completely honest I would probably like LoL the most simply because it is the one I started with. I tried playing a bit of DotA but I could not get into it. The art style, the characters and the other features just seemed so alien to me. I may have enjoyed the game more if I had tried it first but I'm the sort of guy who doesn't like too many changes I guess so I don't think I could transition from League to another MoBA. I'm opening to trying some others out though.

mkhl

Reaction score
No Dota 2 love? Dota 2 has the best graphics and has the most number of features. It includes lots of game modes and arcade games. You are guaranteed to almost never get bored with Dota 2.

lexcion

Reaction score
I've really only fully experienced League, clocking in about 2,000 hours but I haven't played any other MOBAs. Though I tried to play Dota, I found the gameplay fairly overwhelming but I've had a lot of fun watching the Dota 2 pro scene compared to League. Watching Dota 2 is just a lot more interesting and fast-paced than LoL.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
League of Legends is really the only MOBA that I play. It's the game my friends were into when we were in high school, so that's what I picked up. I still enjoying playing it occasionally with my housemate, but we aren't particularly competitive about it. We've reached mid-silver in rank, and that's really okay with us for the time being!

Gladdy

Reaction score
I've tried Dota 2 and League of Legends. I voted for League of Legends because it is far more enjoyable than Dota. Maybe it's because I first started with LoL - it was my first MOBA ever. Dota just feels so much harder to fully grasp and understand. It is really different and more complex than League. The items, the messengers, the upgrades, the jungle camps... everything is a notch harder. Even the last hitting is different.

I feel like League is just better to enjoy and faster to learn. It is also nicer to watch from a position of an observer. I really love watching some League matches and I can't say the same for Dota 2.