• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Which is your favourite RPG from the 16/24 bit generation?

fliktor7

Reaction score
Snes and sega megadrive brought us great games, and the role playing games weren't an exception. Maybe that kind of games made themselves more popular at the next generation, but there were great games before of that (Final Fantasy VI, Secret of Mana-evermore, Story of Thor, Terranigma...).
For me, the best of them was the game called Chrono Trigger, for the SNES. Which one is your favourite?

tournique

Reaction score
I remember spending evenings playing Chrono Trigger as well. It was a good run and it was a pretty cool game for it's period. I didn't play too much though, so I didn't try other games sadly.

globulon

Reaction score
In my opinion, Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger stand the test of time. The sprite-based graphics of those two games were beautiful. More importantly, they had awesome story lines, characters, and gameplay mechanics. I'd gladly play those two games over many current RPGs.

joshposh

Reaction score
I was a sega lover and I first fell in love with Phantasy Star 2 for the Genesis. It did come with a strategy book and guide you through most of the game. Thank god for that book. Without it there is not telling how long it would take to reach then, if that.

After that I got a copy of Shining in the Darkness also for the Genesis. That was a cool game. Not the traditional huge map game. But it did have comic book style of graphics with a deep story line, and most important factor of them all, it was fun to play.

Lots of other RPGs followed after that, but those two stick out the most and made an everlasting impression for all future RPG games.

Jojo83

Reaction score
I loved Chrono Trigger. I also played a japanese RPG for the SNES called: Magic Knight Rayearth. The game was from an anime series and it followed the plot of the anime. It was a great RPG.

Architect

Reaction score
Chrono Trigger is definitely up on my list. I'd say my favorite was FFIV and FFVI, the English release was FFII and FFIII. If you know who Kane and Cecil are as well as Terra and Locke, then you know which FF games I'm referring to :cool:

joshposh

Reaction score
Chrono Trigger is definitely up on my list. I'd say my favorite was FFIV and FFVI, the English release was FFII and FFIII. If you know who Kane and Cecil are as well as Terra and Locke, then you know which FF games I'm referring to :cool:

I heard good things about chrono trigger when it first came out. I was a sega fan and biased so I didn't get that interested in buying another platform. I' have to check that one out for sure.

Architect

Reaction score
I didn't end up getting a Sega until after my Super Nintendo, which both were hand-me downs from family but I have to say I loved the Sonic games and Sonic Spinball was probably my favorite among them. Then there was of course Battle Toads as well. I definitely felt Nintendo had the better games overall when it came down to RPGs though.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
Phantasy Star on the genesis. I don't mean just the first one, all of them were incredible for the time and I was happy to see them released on the PS3 in the genesis collection.

PingPongCall

Reaction score
(sorry for the double post)

I also loved Final Fantasy 2, even though I didn't play it until long after the Super Nintendo had passed on. I think the game cube was the current Nintendo console at the time. So I was pretty busy playing PSO, which I still play on occasion. Not the blue burst mod, I only play the original on the game cube.

Steamroller

Reaction score
Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest V. The first one is a game where everything that conveys is extraordinary: a masterpiece soundtrack, beautiful crafted landscapes, unfogettable characters, excellent turn based battle mechanics, no random encounters. Dragon Quest V is your typical japanese rpg with random enconunters and a by-turn combat based on wizardry saga. But DQ V has some highlights: Main character growth, monster recruitment and a epic well told story. You fight against evil since you are a child and lost everything because of it. You also become a slave, reach adulthood, marry and get children. All of this happen while you're in ur long fighting campaign. An interesting game.

Juno

Reaction score
Secret and Mana is one of my favourites.
Mainly because me and my best friend spent ages battling through that game.
We'd only play it together so for a few weekends it was like being on an adventure.
It was so exciting to keep powering up your weapons, exploring the world and just really being part of another world (we were 12/13).
Looking back on it now, there were games that did some bits better, but it's the association I have with Secret of Mana and the great fun I had that will always give it a special place in me :)

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I'm going to go on record as having said Final Fantasy VI is my favorite 16bit RPG, already.

But since that's been mentioned several times in this thread I thought I'd offer a close runner up; Terranigma. If you do not live in Japan or PAL regions this will be a hard game to get a hold of because it was not released in the US. And I simply cannot understand why! It is a masterpiece. It is the third of a line of games that are "spiritually" related, if not direct sequels; the other two being the primitive Soul Caliber, and the prequel to Terranigma called Illusion of Gaia.

There are fan made translation patches you can find with a google search which are easily applied to roms of the game, and that is a fine way to play it. But it's just a shame the title has never made its western debut, especially in the age of omnipresent virtual consoles.

I wont give away too many details for those of you who may be interested in playing the game, but it features a boy who does a bad thing which dooms him to wander through time, essentially acting as a safe guard for the progression of the Earth through various epochs. The characters are all wonderful, the story is that uniquely Japanese blend of touching and comical that only they do right, and the graphics are well above average for a Super Nintendo title.

If you're an RPG fan you do yourself a disservice by not looking this one up. It's an instant classic.