• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What's your take on Dragon Age : Inquisition?

shinigami145

Reaction score
After an onslaught disappointing AAA PC ports, the only one I have yet play is DA:I.

I've heard about a fair few bugs and how the game is generally more inclined to suit a controller over k/m, but I've also heard that Bioware has been actively trying to fix as many things as possible.

This, and the terrible Denuvo DRM protection system makes me wonder if I should really bother getting the game or not.

How does the game fare against DA:O, in terms of story immersion, character development and quality of side quests? I loved every minute of Origins, would really like to see Inquisition come close to the quality of Origins.

Most of the reviews online seem to be giving me mixed signals so, fingers crossed!

MrHurricane

Reaction score
Inquisition is much more open-world, which means that many of its content is exploration, closing rifts (think killing dragons in Skyrim, or closing Oblivion gates in Oblivion, that sort of repetitive thing). Out of my 63 or so hours of playthrough, the actual story quests took a maximum of 8-10 or so I think, it is so short.
I found most of the companions interesting, but you have to talk to them between missions in Skyhold to know them better. Their first companion mission is always a "collect X of Y" type crap, which gives + influence for them, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting along with them well. I think this may be a replacement for the gift system in DA:O.
The story was quite interesting and had many choices, but it was too short ,and the ending battle was quite boring and unsatisfying, un-epic even.
Side quests are mostly like the Board sides in DA:O, with some short dialogues added to them.

shinigami145

Reaction score
I see. Thanks for your insight on this. I didn't really want to buy the game up until now, because I'm not a huge supporter of EA. But I figured that since I've stuck around for this long, and put in atleast 250+ hours in to the series, I might as well play it; good or bad.

From what you're telling me, it sort of sounds like a much improved DA:2, which should be quite nice as long as they get it right (which they didn't really do with DA:2, it was mediocre at best)

Anyhow, I look forward to the game, and I'll tell you what I think after I clock some game time in.

MrHurricane

Reaction score
Yes, it is much like a very improved DA 2, even most of the combat system is from that game. Sadly the tactics menu has been dumbed down considerably, only choices are whether to use this spell, not use it, or favor it over all others, and several settings such as hwo many potions to keep and how much stamina/mana to preserve.
The variety of the zones is amazing, and all of them look great, so this is a huge imrpvement over DA2.
Overall, the game sits somewhere half-way between DA2 and Origins.

shinigami145

Reaction score
Haha, I see. Well whatever the case may be, there's no denying it has been made in favor of consoles and hence the tactical controls are probably exactly like that, and there isn't much we can do about it. It's sad that every studio seems to be giving in, to produce half-baked games for the "next-gen" consoles, and ruining it for the PC players.

DA:2 was a 7, DA:0 was a 9.5, so DA:I is around 8.25. Got it, that sounds pretty good.

pcgamer

Reaction score
I had my doubts about this game before I got my hands on it. But Dragon Age Inquisition has instilled my faith on EA. They definitely deserve another chance.

Dragon Age Inquisition is an amazing game with tons of quests to do, characters to interact with and places to explore. Yes, the DRM is a pain, but the game is well worth it.

Pudge

Reaction score
I bought it recently and I have to say I am actually pretty disappointed with it. I loved the original Dragon Age because of its story driven side quests and the plot, but so far I've only encountered boring fetch quests that I would have expected in an MMO rather than a pure single player game.
Also, the controls are so terrible on PC that it makes the game unenjoyable. I had a better experiece with my broken PS3 controller with a missing button.

The combat is pretty fun though.

Last edited:

blackcanary

Reaction score
I'm quite enjoying the game! I've played some of Origins as well although I haven't finished it completely and have yet to play DA:2. The world is huge and there is a ton of places to explore, it looks really great as well. The k/m controls really aren't the greatest at all and do take quite a bit of adjusting too, it did get a bit better when I got more used to it but I think Origins controls were easier to use. I do quite enjoy the combat although I essentially never use the tactical combat, there's really no need too and I haven't found it to be very useful.

There's an insane number of quests, I don't think you'd ever run out of things to do although a lot of them are just simple fetch quests or finding some landmarks or hidden items. I had some bugs initially with installing the game, I had to reinstall and search through a huge number of threads to try get the game to work, however the issues seem to have worked themselves out.

I say if you're a DA fan it's definitely worth a shot.

ProNine

Reaction score
I agree, the story line itself felt quite short. What was really interesting was all the exploration featured in the game. Unlike Skyrim, you do not simply kill dragons all day. The controllers in my opinion are great and the game runs smoothly.

empress

Reaction score
I have yet to play it because I don't have the right specs - my system is in serious need of an upgrade and I don't have the money to do so. T_T The DRM aspect is a definite downside, but I still want to get my paws on it at some point.

But I've watched somebody do a Lets Play and it seems pretty awesome. I like how it's more open world and they seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with DA 2, and the story seems quite good. But then, I am a BioWare fangirl and I love pretty much all of their games.

lgdg090596

Reaction score
I haven't tried it, yet. Might get it in the following months.

Patrick

Reaction score
Although I own all of the DA games, DA:I was the first I've actually taken time to play. It's taken some time getting used to the style (combat feels like an MMO), but I do enjoy playing it from time to time. I'd say it was worth the money.

Martin

Reaction score
I am definitely going to get it, watched a fair bit of gameplay and it looks like something I would enjoy to play to be honest. Obviously has its flaws but I am not someone who expects a game to be perfect.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Recently bought it after a friend who has dedicated 300+ hours highly recommended it. So far I am only a couple hours in, but I am really loving the combat, and the story isn't too bad either!