• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

What Would Motivate You To Purchase Handheld Consoles?

lindbergh

Reaction score
With the rise of Smartphones and Tablets, where do we now place the handheld consoles? Smartphones and tablets are getting more and more powerful. Octa-core processors with 3 to 4 GB or ram are now the norm for Android devices with around 16 - 64 GB internal storage. These smartphones and tablets are now capable to run video games with console quality graphics without stuttering. Have a look at some of the awesome games on mobile:
modern-combat-5-blackout-image_004.jpg

4_asphalt_htreme.jpg

injustice-gods-among-us-012.jpg

Being mainly a communication device, you can easily connect to the internet and play with others around the world, making online play such a breeze. There's also a huge selection of games and a lot of them are even free to play. Aside from gaming, you can also do all sorts of things on your tablet or phone like read eBooks, take pictures, record videos and many more.

What would motivate you to purchase a handheld console when smartphones and tablets can churn out console quality graphics plus do other tasks?

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Personally, handheld consoles have much more potential in graphics. There is a bigger investment in game storyline and appearance, that is shown through the price that we pay to get the console and the game. If the apps industries could provide a game for mobile phones that showed exclusive content and amazing graphics, storyline, etc...handheld consoles would be surpassed. But at the current state i think is highly unlikely, also because of the battery consumption.

lindbergh

Reaction score
You have a point. Although smartphones and tablets have caught up, graphics wise, the handheld consoles still have the edge when it comes to raw power. I guess on a pure gaming standpoint, Handheld consoles have the edge. But then again, who can deny the fact that if you have a smartphone, you have access already to thousands and thousands of free games that you may not be able to play in one lifetime.

And, when it comes to battery consumption, isn't it that smartphones have the ability to last for a day on mild usage and for about 8 hours on extensive usage? What is the average battery life of handheld consoles?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Although smartphones and tablets have caught up, graphics wise, the handheld consoles still have the edge when it comes to raw power.
I don't know about that, I have a Samsung Galaxy S8+ and I have the Samsung USB-C to Hdmi adaptor and my S8+ renders games in 4k to my 49' UHD TV. Show me one handheld that can do 4k graphics.

@op, I don't have any reason to buy a handheld and I think the handhelds are going to be a thing of the past very soon.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I already have a handheld console - 3DS XL. What motivated me? the fact that it has plenty of Nintendo exclusive games... such as the Pokemon, Zelda and more. You can't compare handheld with a tablet or phone. The quality of games there is much worse than on the handheld console because the majority of them are free and cheaply made. There are also a ton of bugs. The controls on the handheld consoles feel much better and are optimized nicely.

I am pretty happy with my 3DS XL even after owning it for a few years. I love the games that it has.

konomi

Reaction score
That's interesting! I honestly never really thought about mobile devices being seen as competition for handheld devices, maybe because I don't do much mobile gaming. Personally, I prefer the controls of a handheld device -- I like pressing actual buttons instead of using a touchscreen. Also I like to have my phone as a separate device. I hate it when I'm playing a mobile game and I get interrupted with a text or notification. It certainly is convenient to be able to play games on a phone, since most people carry their phones with them all the time. I have a 3DS XL and I love it, but it is kind of heavy if I'm carrying it around all day!

overcast

Reaction score
I think cost is one factor that I moved away from the consoles. I can do everything I want in gaming with PC and some of the times I can make use of the mobile. I don't see handheld consoles would be changing that. In fact I'd say smartphones being good camera and the gaming device can do lot better on that point.