• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Ubuntu/linux gaming

Bremaine

Reaction score
For those who don't know what Ubuntu or Linux is, they're essentially operating systems like Windows. Linux is starting to get into the gaming market by allowing more and more games to work on PCs with the OS installed. I was wondering if anyone here plays on an Ubuntu or any other Linux distribution? I've tried, but my Ubuntu PC is a bit slow with only 4GB and I can only play Minecraft a little bit. Anyways, what are some good games that work on Ubuntu and Linux?

Lancer

Reaction score
I have ubuntu running right now to access the website. I like the TuxCart games which is a racing game where you can take characters from popular open source software and start racing. There's a lot of other games just from the repository for free. then, you can install wine to play Windows games.

techbeast34

Reaction score
I have ubuntu running right now to access the website. I like the TuxCart games which is a racing game where you can take characters from popular open source software and start racing. There's a lot of other games just from the repository for free. then, you can install wine to play Windows games.
Games on WINE is horrible, honestly. You've got so many games that will partially work, it's extremely annoying. I could get using Ubuntu for developing, and as an OS for power users, but if you're going to game, you've got to use a platform that's being developed for, not the one that's free. It might be good for gamers on a budget, but that's about it.

Lancer

Reaction score
I agree with you, TechBeast! By example, i could not play Need For Speed Most Wanted with wine, neither install Visual studio. But i don't think it is the system that is not made for gaming. I think instead that developers don't take the time to develop a linux version because the wider range of the market use other operating systems.

Like you said, for gamers on budget, linux is good. There's a lot of games for linux now! but if you want the best games that are not available on linux, you may install other system side to side with linux.