• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The Oldest Pc Game You've Ever Played?

Scholarkin

Reaction score
PC Games have been with us for years. Some people started playing games in their infancy where others started late in their lives.
The question now is, which is the oldest game you've ever laid hand on?
I don't know about mine but I guess super Mario or mortal Kombat are the oldest games I ever played.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
My first PC was pretty crappy. It barely had enough space for Windows XP I couldn't even get any games placed. It had 2 GB hard drive which sucked hard. I remember trying to balance basic programs like antivirus and MS Office. Looking back now with my 2TB hard drive, my first one was incredibly on the low end. I had to borrow emulator games from a classmate since those games were pretty small in size. Games from the 90s and 80s. Like Newspaper Boy or Excite Bike. Really pixel and blocky games that were on Sega drives and whatnot. It wasn't great but it had to do.

Aubrey Cana Laine

Reaction score
Definitely The Sims 1! It was my first PC game ever, and I loved it so much that I tried the other Sims (like Sims City and Sims Safari). I can still remember how addicted I was to it back then. I guess I still am, because I am currently playing all the expansion packs of The Sims 3!

Gladdy

Reaction score
I honestly got no idea... there were many ancient old computer games that I played as a kid... the ones that I remember the most are: Sims 1, Black and White, Theme Hospital, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Doom, Pinball, Age of Empires. I still definitely missed a bunch that I will end up remembering later.

Anybody here remembers Theme Hospital? haha, I loved that game so much. A friend of mine cracked it (back then that was a ''huge'' skill) and I couldn't stop playing it. I was glued to my screen... constantly trying to advance to the next level while expanding the hospital and taking care of the patients. I think I still have the CD somewhere on my shelves. A really good hospital game simulator.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I think one of the first computers I got my hands on still had Windows 95, and I wasn't allowed to install nor buy any games at first because my parents didn't want me to slow it down. All I could do was play the default games. So...yeah, the first PC game I ever played was 3D Pinball. I learned how to play Solitaire and Spider very soon, too. Surprisingly, I loved them.
As for true PC games, though, I think the first one I played besides them was Wipeout. It's a racing game similar to F-Zero and it's absolutely nuts. I still wonder how I managed to go on playing card games when there were such beauties out there.

Frank

Reaction score
Does Zork count? If so, than that. I didn't play it when it came out, obviously, and I didn't personally play it as I couldn't read nor write (let alone type on a keyboard at the time), but I was a pretty good assistant to my uncle who was (and still is) a major tech nerd.

First I played on my own would have to be something like Wolfenstein or Doom. I was pretty into shooters at that age and I suppose I still am.

Jameson

Reaction score
My first PC game that I played was Road Rush. I was so addicted to that game that I used to go to a cyber cafe everyday after school just to play it.

Westbay

Reaction score
Hitman agent 47, I haven't played any game then outside a console game so my friend got a computer game then it was action there was shooting and all so we were all so happy to watch him play it with his keyboard and mouse you know when I think about it now that game was really slow compared to now but it was everything then that's the oldest PC game have played so far. It was a good game though no doubt it thrilled us back then.

yaorice

Reaction score
Wow, this question really took me back. I definitely started on the Reader Rabbits when I was little, and then played some Command & Conquer Generals with my dad, which I consider to be my first real PC game...also Speedy Eggbert, which I'm pretty sure I absolutely loved. Looking back now, that game looks so goofy.

JoeMilford

Reaction score
The oldest PC game I've ever played was Civilization IV, I think? I know that isn't that old, but I didn't play much on PC's until this game, which I think I played on an old IMAC. I remember loving that game, and the appeal of it does not really revolve around too many bells or whistles, so the format really didn't matter as much as the strategy of play.

ZXD22

Reaction score
Oldest PC game I have ever played was Doom. Was an instant hit when it came out but that was like back in 1993 and even before that!

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Wow this takes me way back. I played the original Oregon Trail on a Apple 2c computer in grade school. Even though it was a learning game all of us kids went crazy to play it. And the teacher only let us play it if we were getting good grades in her class. Needless to say I loved the game so much that I got a A in her class. :smiley:

fishmonk

Reaction score
I think the oldest game I played was Solitaire on Windows 3.1. I also played a ton other games on this OS. It's really crazy how far we have come compared to those days.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I remember the oldest game I have played on PC was Mobsters: Organized Crime which was released in 1998 and Sanity: Aiken's Artifact which was released in 2000. Both games were lent by my uncle since he was a fan of playing video games too. Mobsters is a game about recruiting gangsters and assigning them tasks like intimidating businesses to force them to pay you for protection and sabotaging enemy territory. The graphics aren't that great but the simulation makes the game interesting since you don't know how the task will be played out.
Sanity: Aiken's Artifact is a game that focuses on having psychological powers. The main character of the game will learn new skills, and these skills also have differing elements. I remember there was a side effect to using too much skills though, as the character will drain his hp slowly instead if he continues to use his spell without remaining mana points.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Our family had a Commodore 64 back in the day and it came with a mountain of games. I couldn't tell you which is the oldest for certain. We had Apocalypse, which is a helicopter rescue game where you fly underground to save soldiers trapped behind enemy lines. There was Rat Race where you control a rat who is racing other rats to a piece of cheese while avoiding cats. Wizards of Wor was a cool space fantasy shooter in a maze. Ghosts and Goblins I'm sure you know. We had the old Ghostbusters game. Reader Rabbit was an educational title I spent a lot of time with. Pipeline was a funny little game where you play as plumbers trying to fix a broken waterway while various enemies, including lobsters for some reason, try to attack you.

There were others but those are some of the most memorable ones.

olaryeankarh

Reaction score
The oldest PC games I played are VCop2 and Super Mario. They came pre-installed with my Windows XP of 512MB RAM (lol). I enjoyed every bit of these games as they were light-weight and very easy to understand yet, difficult to play when you get to certain stages. I miss those days anyway. Graphics and sophistication have taken over now.

airfightermax

Reaction score
Remember that 3D pinball game that comes with Windows XP? I think that's the first ever PC game that I played. It looked so good back then I thought to myself this pinball game would replace physical pinball games on arcades.

I was that amazed by it's graphics back then.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
The oldest PC game I've ever played was probably Diablo. I played it on my uncle's PC before I even knew PCs had games, it was the only game he had at the time. It was such a good game at the time, and it really scared me as a kid. The feeling of being alone in a really big dungeon full of corpses that suddenly rise up from catacombs, it was so immersive for me at the time and kept me from playing the more "hellish" stages of the game.

SirJoe

Reaction score
The first game I played is still around today and is still to a certain point popular, tetris. It was at a friends place and his dad had bought him a console a few days before. The console wasn't new and not exactly up to date but it was better then nothing.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Mmmmh judging by my GoG library, I can assume the oldest game I played is Alone in the Dark - I haven't played it when it came out, I was 3 years old at the time. Not my favorite game, not my favorite series, but I can understand the appeal it have on its fans. But I don't know if it have aged pretty good... it looks very very old. I mean, I know IT'S old, but there are older games that aged better.