• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The Modern Controller

GameCube

Reaction score
The original Nintendo had what I would say was the first modern controller. Note, at the time, the other systems Atari or Apple used weird controllers that were nothing like what we see today. For instance, the Atari one was gripped with your hand.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I would honestly say it was the SNES. Virtually every controller that has come since has been an iteration of that. There were controller like the one on the NES that predate that system considerably, though they weren't well know. It was the first which really took ergonomics into consideration, had the 4 now-standard face buttons, and the shoulder switches. It's a masterpiece, really. I think other companies did better with the scheme than Nintendo did, which is a shame, but still; it was the SNES controller which really still informs all controller designt o this day.https://www.gamerebels.com/members/

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Meh, I really don't see the big deal with these different companies trying to create their own spin on the controller. It just makes transitioning from one console to the other since the X button can be in any of the 4 right side buttons. It's confusing, and they should just create a universally approved controller design with the same button assignment, and they can focus their efforts on something bigger... like the actual games themselves.