• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The Legend of Zelda

Ging_Freecss

Reaction score
This is a Zelda thread to discuss stuff about The Legend of Zelda :D

Guardian

Reaction score
I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time. Not a Nintendo guy anymore.

Knightmanx

Reaction score
Wow no one's talked about Zelda here since 2015? All right so how about a quick top 5
Twilight Princess HD
Ocarina of Time
Breath of the Wild
Link Between Worlds
Link's Awakening
no particular order

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Time for my confession! I never played a Zelda game since... well, I never played a Zelda game, period.
I know it's a terrible sin for a gamer, but I never had a Nintendo console, and I don't particularly like emulators so I never had the chance. I'm considering buying the Switch since it looks like something actually new, and since Breath of the Wild alone seems absolutely amazing.

gkillian

Reaction score
I've been very pleased with my Switch. I was a little worried about it being a Zelda machine - and make no mistake, Breath of the Wild is a killer app if you enjoy open world games at all (assuming you don't own a Wii U) - but it's also an excellent platform for indie games I would usually wait to buy on Steam. Splatoon and ARMS both seem to be excellent new Nintendo IPs, and the system is no doubt going to be a successor to all the excellent series that have been Nintendo handheld mainstays.

I think the library is still pretty slim unless you really want Binding of Isaac or Has Been Heroes on the go, but it's a serviceable investment (if you can find one).

I should also remark that, as good as Breath of the Wild is, it's pretty radically different from other Zelda games. It lacks much of the quintessential experience inherent to its predecessors. It's a black sheep, but a very good one.

GingerGoddess

Reaction score
I've been very pleased with my Switch. I was a little worried about it being a Zelda machine - and make no mistake, Breath of the Wild is a killer app if you enjoy open world games at all (assuming you don't own a Wii U) - but it's also an excellent platform for indie games I would usually wait to buy on Steam. Splatoon and ARMS both seem to be excellent new Nintendo IPs, and the system is no doubt going to be a successor to all the excellent series that have been Nintendo handheld mainstays.

I think the library is still pretty slim unless you really want Binding of Isaac or Has Been Heroes on the go, but it's a serviceable investment (if you can find one).

I should also remark that, as good as Breath of the Wild is, it's pretty radically different from other Zelda games. It lacks much of the quintessential experience inherent to its predecessors. It's a black sheep, but a very good one.
Playing Breath of the Wild on my Wii U, while enjoyable, has been a sort of a trial for me. The FPS sucks and it's constantly lagging during a boss battle. I can't wait until my husband and I can afford to splurge on the Switch.

I don't think it's too much different from the other Zelda games with the exception that you aren't really required to follow a set destination order to reach the end goal. Breath of the Wild is an amazing game though and I love the "freedom" it gives players.

overcast

Reaction score
I think the classic -"Breath of the Wild" was good and it used to be slow at the same time. Compared to the modern adaption where you can find the game having more speed. I'd say this game is worth going for collectibles. It's hard to catch up with Zelda and Final Fantasy Series.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I don't think it's too much different from the other Zelda games with the exception that you aren't really required to follow a set destination order to reach the end goal. Breath of the Wild is an amazing game though and I love the "freedom" it gives players.

As a long-time Zelda fan, I think this is huge. We've been surrounded my so many open world games lately that we've grown used to that sense of freedom: Zelda managed to convey that same feeling even with a linear structure. Zelda has always been about adventure and liberty, and opening to new horizons after all these years is revolutionary to old fans.
That's what sets the line between Zelda and other games to me. It's poetry, it speaks to your soul even with a mute protagonsit. It truly feels like a world to experience.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Time for my confession! I never played a Zelda game since... well, I never played a Zelda game, period.
I know it's a terrible sin for a gamer, but I never had a Nintendo console, and I don't particularly like emulators so I never had the chance. I'm considering buying the Switch since it looks like something actually new, and since Breath of the Wild alone seems absolutely amazing.
Oh my god. You, sir, have sinned for sure! I can't believe you have never tried any Zelda games, not even at your friends? You missed out on so much.

You really should either get a 3DS XL (they aren't that expensive anymore, maybe get a used one) or the Switch like you said. Make sure to play the old titles though. You have plenty of good Zelda games for 3DS like the Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, The Adventure of Link and more! The newest one is extremely good too but I guess it can be quite expensive if you buy the Switch and the Breath of the Wild. Up to you but definitely, try the games, I promise you will not regret it. Zelda franchise is one of the best ones out there.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
What did you guys think of Breath of the Wild? I heard it was a mix between the Zelda games and a bit of Skyrim, but still retained its childhood charms. I couldn't play it because it's an exclusive to Wii (I think) and I only have the PC. They ported an emulator for the Breath of Wild on the PC a few months back, but I heard it's not as good and it's been buggy as hell. So I guess I'll have to wait if they'll release a more stable version of the game.

WarVet

Reaction score

Same here buddy. I'm not a very big Zelda fan mostly because im not a very big Nintendo fan.I always preferred adult themes in games and Nintendo hardly provided that to its gamers. Now I'm not saying that I hate Zelda and that it is a terrible game. My point here is: Nintendo hasn't evolved like the other game developers have. Video games are no longer a child's thing and while I like the classics maybe it's time to upgrade their content.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
What did you guys think of Breath of the Wild? I heard it was a mix between the Zelda games and a bit of Skyrim, but still retained its childhood charms. I couldn't play it because it's an exclusive to Wii (I think) and I only have the PC. They ported an emulator for the Breath of Wild on the PC a few months back, but I heard it's not as good and it's been buggy as hell. So I guess I'll have to wait if they'll release a more stable version of the game.

Yeah, it's exclusive to Wii U and Switch. I heard they're working on a Wii U emulator, but it has insane hardware requirements to run.
The game itself is simply amazing. The "Skyrim" vibes are due to the introduction of RPG elements (wearable equipment, weapons with durability) and, most of all, the open-world setting. They're really a breath of fresh air (pun totally intended).
The Zelda universe has always had an incredible attention to details, they really make it feel alive. It has a kind of elegance I fail to find in any other game. The music is minimalistic, but it fits the atmosphere perfectly; the visuals are original and contribute to the fairy tale-ish look the entire game has. The gameplay is as fluid as any Nintendo game's.

Seriously, if you ever manage to get your hands on a Wii U or a Switch, please buy this game.

Last edited:

appleandcinnamon

Reaction score
Apparently Nintendo has deviated from The Legend of Zelda's original selling point -- maps/worlds with loads of easter eggs and therefore high explore value. I used to walk in circles around fields in the Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask just to look for surprises. Twilight Princess had huge expanses and gigantic maps but they were hollow and lacked substance. There was nothing to discover in them.