• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

The "how Did I Beat This As A Kid" Moment.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
We were kids once (sadly?). And many of us, as kids, played a lot of games that stood still in our memories and formed our childhood. As adults, some of us played again those games and... woah woah woah! "Was this really that hard? And I managed to beat it when I was a young dumb kid?". It happened a lot to me, with games that are usually regarded as pretty hard like the first Crash Bandicoot, or the first Oddworld game.
Maybe in my memories the difficulty of the games was erased, maybe getting older made me a worse gamer... but still, I feel many of the old games were pretty hard for young kids.
Did you ever thought this? For which game? And why do you think they seems harder now?

Siberian

Reaction score
I have gotten this thought. Especially for the Lion King platformer game. I beat it legit which is surprising to me. The reason it's so hard is because there are patterns you need to memorize to pass a certain level and it goes on for about three minutes. Also, it's nearly impossible to get through a level without taking damage no matter what the level is. The combat was hard as hell because it was all timing your swipe with when they lunged at you or walked close enough. I'm surprised I beat it when I was younger. I tried beating it again a few months ago and rage quit it was so hard to me. All my rage only came from the fact that I've beaten it before.

@Xilkozuf, that Crash Bandicoot game is also hard as hell. I've played that a few years back as well and could not beat it if a gun was pointed to my head.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I never played that game but I knowbthe feeling of asking myself on how did I finished a game. It was in a Rockman series... It was also a hard as hell game but this one time I killed the boss. It Felt so good.

ballyhara

Reaction score
Don't get me started with Crash Bandicoot, I am a full grown up and still needed extra help with that one. Usually my cousins help me when I'm stuck on some level or feature, this one got my nerves. I have to be honest, sometimes I check on YouTubers or forums like this to get some hints and tricks, not with every game but some hard ones.

Pixie06

Reaction score
It happened with me too when I tried to play Commando before. I previously completed all the levels and when I tried to play the games years later I found it to be really difficult. Maybe with age I am losing my skills. LOL. I think I got used to play other types of game and that's the reason which can explain that.

Muaaz

Reaction score
One game that I completed as a kid was Pokemon Fire red and leaf green which I completed in about 3 months. It was quite hard to beat Mewtwo and all the game members. As well as becoming Pokemon master also felt good like having Dragonite, Mewtwo, Charizard, Blastoise, Bayleaf and Gangar as your six Pokemon gave me a sense of accomplishment.

WarVet

Reaction score
Dino crisis 1! I remember replaying it a couple years ago and thinking: "Damn these puzzles are so complicated how did I beat them as a kid?" Then I figured having lots of free time on your hands lead to things like this.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I have a lot of those. I used to be like a machine at the original Mario Kart and now for some reason I can't even remember how to handle the drift mechanic with any real dexterity. I also used to handily beat Little Nemo when I was younger. The later levels int hat game are brutal, which is irrelevant now since I can't even get to them.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I don't know about as a kid, but I often wonder how in the world I beat the original Half Life when I was in my 20's. I have tried to beat it a few years ago and I was like OMG this is really hard LOL.

P.S. I do know that when you're young your skills are precise and quick and the older you get the sloppier and slower your skills get LOL.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I have gotten this thought. Especially for the Lion King platformer game. I beat it legit which is surprising to me. The reason it's so hard is because there are patterns you need to memorize to pass a certain level and it goes on for about three minutes. .

I'm 100% sure you are talking about the level with the monkeys (in short, the one based on "I just can't wait to be king song"). That level is indeed infamous hard, even the developers of the game admitted they couldn't beat it! Also, speaking about Disney games, Aladdin was also pretty hard...

Siberian

Reaction score
I'm 100% sure you are talking about the level with the monkeys (in short, the one based on "I just can't wait to be king song"). That level is indeed infamous hard, even the developers of the game admitted they couldn't beat it! Also, speaking about Disney games, Aladdin was also pretty hard...
That is the level I am talking about. Aladdin was extremely hard! Man... Back in our day, huh? Hahaha

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I beat 7 vs 1 Brutal enemies in Red Alert 2 as a kid. So proud of that since they really grinded all the way through. Imagine having to defend against multiple teams' Kirov airships, while your entrance gets bombarded by random tanks that just never end. It was fun though, but I tried it again a few months ago (I found a working copy of RA2 for Windows 10) and I did it a lot easier this time around.

Heatman

Reaction score
We were kids once (sadly?). And many of us, as kids, played a lot of games that stood still in our memories and formed our childhood. As adults, some of us played again those games and... woah woah woah! "Was this really that hard? And I managed to beat it when I was a young dumb kid?". It happened a lot to me, with games that are usually regarded as pretty hard like the first Crash Bandicoot, or the first Oddworld game.
Maybe in my memories the difficulty of the games was erased, maybe getting older made me a worse gamer... but still, I feel many of the old games were pretty hard for young kids.
Did you ever thought this? For which game? And why do you think they seems harder now?

I can agree that playing those games when little seems to very hard, take for instance one particular game I used to play as a kid known as "Contra".

This game was really difficult for me to complete back then, I don't even think I was able to finish all the mission in it 100%, it got to a moment that I grew tired of playing it again.

I still believe that should I happen to go back back to replay the game, I would still find it very difficult to complete still since I'm sure lack of interest and involvement with other games would hamper my progress in the game.

Asadullah

Reaction score
hahaha. This makes me remember of my childhood gaming. There was a game ( action game ) which i always used to play it was commonly know here as " Mustafa " - Basically, it was the name of the hero in the game [ saviour ? ] - While its full name is " Cadillac and Dinosaurs Mustaph ". I was attentive to action games since very beginning as they are daring, the loud voice makes us more energatic and the winning oh yea that feeling... It was really hard for me to even kill one single enemy in that game. But i kept continue playing it. Firstly, i always died in the first level. not even reaching in its half. Just in the very beginning, i was dead. But i didn't give up and played that game on daily basis. After some hurdles and difficulties, i managed to become a good player of that game. After that i used to end that game in just a single life. Even when i play that game now, its very easy for me to finish that game - in 3, 4 lifes -. But i still enjoy playing that game.

GameCube

Reaction score
The original Mario games seemed much harder as a kid and it's sort of a big let down. I mean, if it's easier, then it isn't as fun. Therefore, in that case, it could be said some of those games are - for kids, or at least mostly for kids.

Anyway, one game I found massively difficult as a kid was Pitfall Harry on Atari. But I'm not really sure if it would be easy now.

Referal

Reaction score
I play A Lot games and remember a few when I was kid that I beat I basically won a level now looking back at and playing it again I wonder how on Earth did I pass this level and it was hard level