• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

STEAM

Smokey

Reaction score
Okay so everyone knows about STEAM right? What are your thoughts on it? Personally, it's where I get about 85% of my games, or if I buy downloads from Amazon they generally go through STEAM which is nice as well. Do you use STEAM for your PC gaming? :)

overcast

Reaction score
STEAM is standard now after 4 years since you posted. As you can see there are lot of games out there who launch through steam. Some of the games open their discount version through them. It has gone from platform to authority in such case. You can see that in cases where PC gaming goes they are also covering the console market too.

Tronikart

Reaction score
Steam is certainly the standard now, no matter how hard other platforms try to fit in, theres no way they will dethrone steam any time soon, they have set the bar way too high, they have the bast majority of games and along with the sales, they will be the top platform for a while, the only way people switch to other platforms is to play specific games they want to play, not because of the platform being better.

Sino989

Reaction score
I think steam is pretty much the way to go these days. You don't see a lot of people who use their pc for gaming now use steam. It's the standard like everyone has said :)

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I've been using Steam for 9 years now to get my PC games. 9 years ago I would have been a freshman in high school, and I purchased the Orange Box so I could play Garry's Mod. That as the initial reason I got Steam and I guess the rest is history. I like how Valve does such a good job at engaging the community on Steam and getting us to participate in their seasonal sales.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
8 year user here, started to use Steam mostly for the Orange Box and then I never stopped.
Sale after sale, game after game, my library became huge and now I have over 1500 games, most of them I will probably never play (and I have games on GoG, Origin and Uplay too... too many).
So, yes... I do love Steam, there are many many many games good and news and is really useful in interface, for the fact that you can play anywhere... and I don't have much room anymore for physical copies of games, so that's a big plus! After all, there's no way I would have room for 1500 games and more.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I can't even recall how long I have been using Steam. I think almost every single game that I have, with the rare exceptions is connected through Steam. I either buy my PC games at their sales and discounts or I get the games key from a different site then redeem the code on Steam.

They are just absolutely amazing. Not only for gaming but I also enjoy chatting with my gaming buddies on it. I just like the whole library concept - seeing every game that you have and simply pressing play to launch it. Best gaming platform/software by far.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I have always been using Steam to purchase my PC games. I like that you are allowed to test out certain games before committing to a purchase. The Steam interface is also user-friendly. The fact that there is a family sharing option is also excellent so that we can share our library of games with other people. Steam is a safe and reliable platform for me to purchase games.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Steam's the only place I get games. Some sites give freebies like Steam keys for games, but in the end I would always play the games there anyway. The sales are fun and the discounts would really help if you get buyer's remorse a lot when getting games. The refund feature also helps ease the purchasing, since if you really don't like it, you'll be able to just refund the game for full price no problem at all.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, Smokey, yes Steam is my favorite program and what I like the most is that when I buy a game from Steam I feel secure because it will not have a virus. My friends take their games from Google search and they got a lot of viruses on their PC.
I use Steam a lot and I have stored there most of my games, my library is full now!

Empire

Reaction score
stream is apart of our life, lol it's one of the biggest platform and network for gaming. End of the day there aren't many and if you want to able to game then steam is the best option other then orgin.

One day the disc versions won't be around anymore since the online world of download content is growing

overcast

Reaction score
I think these days it's hard to find good games outside steam. I have seen almost every indie studio and the known popular studio is making use of the steam. So that's one more thing good about the steam. I have used the steam on many ways, be it PC or the console games. I think it'd be harder to find games without steam.

Denis_P

Reaction score
Well, my thoughts are that things pretty much don't get better than Steam. If you're a PC gamer it is pretty much the way to go. Not only is it the most convenient way to buy and manage your games, but the seasonal sales they have are absolutely ridiculous. You can get deals that would not be possible anywhere else.

That being said, I didn't always feel this way. I grew up a traditional gamer. You put in the disc, you play the game. So one day I went out and got a copy of Counter-Strike: Source. When I was notified upon installation that I would have to install and run the game through Steam, I was skeptical. "What is this Steam junk? I don't want this!"

Boy was I wrong.

fishmonk

Reaction score
Yeah. I used to think of Steam as unnecessary but in recent years I have spent a lot in getting games or in-game purchases using steam.

fireball916

Reaction score
Steam is essential for PC gaming nowadays. It helps organize all the games you own, it provides a marketplace of games with a store page to look at details of a game and reviews. Then there's all the sales that blow everything else out of the water. Steam is basically essential to the PC gaming community.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Steam is where most of my games are from and it hasn't failed me so far. They have a wide collection of games from whatever genres you may think of. If the genre is not listed, it's probably going to be anytime soon. Steam is just an awesome platform.

Deathisue

Reaction score
Steam always going to be the place where a bought my games, a great plataform with a lot of content, good offers, skins, competitive games, and the populars steam sales, for is the best of all plataform and is essential if you play on pc the truth, that is all of i can say of steam.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I use Steam for gaming and I only buy games from Amazon if they are Steam enabled. I like all of my games in one place. The only downside to this is if your Steam account gets hacked and banned your out of luck. Because Steam does not reverse bans no matter what. They say your responsible for your own account security.

m33kuh

Reaction score
I use Steam for gaming and I only buy games from Amazon if they are Steam enabled. I like all of my games in one place. The only downside to this is if your Steam account gets hacked and banned your out of luck. Because Steam does not reverse bans no matter what. They say your responsible for your own account security.
Yeah. I've heard a lot about this from some of my friends. They tend to play on computer shops and little did they know, the computer that they are using has a keylogger. And poof, either hacked or banned. Some of them don't even have mobile authenticators which are really stupid not to have.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I personally think Steam revolutionized the online market of games. The security provided by their services, the wide selection of top-notch games, the amazing sales made throughout the year, the community, all incredible things to praise. One thing that I don't enjoy much is Steam being associated with games like CS Go because it is so much more than shooting games, but that is just my modest opinion.