• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Skyrim: Hearthfire DLC Inspired By Minecraft, Is 'Complex And Rigorous'

Scion

Reaction score
340784.jpg

Bethesda might be struggling to get Dawnguard onto PS3, but that doesn't stop the Skyrim developer from talking about Hearthfire a bit more.

Over on the official Elder Scrolls blog, Bethesda has posted a dev diary talking about the new Skyrim: Hearthfire DLC.

Despite worries from fans the Hearthfire would be mostly throwaway content, the dev diary reveals the next Skyrim DLC will in fact have "more features than you could possibly expect."

Wisnewski, an environmental artist on Skyrim, is one of the developers working on the DLC, and described the content "as a small idea to expand on the crafting element of the game because alchemy, smithing and enchanting were things I was interested in when we were playtesting the game."

But most interesting is the content's inspiration to Minecraft, which comes from Bruce Nesmith, lead producer on Skyrim's Hearthfire DLC. In the dev diary Nesmith detailed his initial thoughts on what Hearthfire should be, "being a fan of Minecraft, I asked, ‘Why can't I build things in our game?'"

We've already seen a lot of the content that will be headed to Skyrim with Hearthfire's announcement trailer, but the dev diary still dropped a few nuggets of info, such as the new wine cellar that will be one of many possible additions to your home.

The dev diary finishes by describing the "scope" of Hearthfire, with level designer Steve Cornett saying "It's one thing to say you're going to add these things, and it's another to see a small team build something that's so complex and rigorous and have all those pieces."

You can read the rest of the dev diary over on the official Elder Scrolls blog.

Skyrim: Hearthfire is due to launch this week on Xbox Live.

Source

Motion

Reaction score
Sounds good, only thing they need to add to Skyrim is Multiplayer, then Skyrim would be awesome!

Scion

Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately I think if anything that will be in The Elder Srolls VI

mtwiscool

Reaction score
the way this would be done is if a modder made a online mode
they may be alrady a mod for that