• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Side quests

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Do you do a lot of side quests when you play? Or do you prefer to stick to story quests and grind the rest of the way?

In my experience, some games you HAVE to do the side quests. For instance, in WoW, all I did was side quests because there wasn't really a unified story to follow. In SWTOR I did a lot of side quests too, but a lot of the time I would stick to the story and grind Flashpoints(dungeons) to take care of any XP discrepencies

Martin

Reaction score
I'll often do a couple but never really do too many - no matter what the game is. Mainly because they tend to be pretty boring and just fetch quests which I don't really want to do unless there is an interesting story attached.

Testament

Reaction score
If we're talking about MMOs, aren't side-quests actually essential for leveling up or getting good gear? I do it a lot for DCUO and it seems to be the only decent way, outside of grinding, to keep going.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
If we're talking about MMOs, aren't side-quests actually essential for leveling up or getting good gear? I do it a lot for DCUO and it seems to be the only decent way, outside of grinding, to keep going.
Not really. In my experience there's only a few that offer really essential upgrades, and in SWTOR a lot of the time the upgrades are for companions if anything lol

Guardian

Reaction score
There's usually some perks to doing so, even if they're small. I will usually do a few. Depends on how enjoyable and difficult they are.

huggy212

Reaction score
I often do side and main quest at the same time. Most of the side quest are related to main quest if you got the timing correctly. Usually side quest are found on the same map with your main quest whether it is killing mobs or talking to npcs. By doing this im always hitting 2 birds in 1 stone and im saving most of my time by not walking back and forth for doing just 1 quest only. Some of them even have same objective like kill 20 bugs and there is available side quest which is collect 5 skins ( drop of bugs). Goodluck grinding :)

arachnophobik

Reaction score
When it comes to MMOs, I always do the side quests first. This is because I want all the XP I can get as soon as possible, usually when trying to grind to endgame. The story quests are definitely way more fun for me though, if weren't for the XP I would have never done side quests. Most side quests in an average MMO are dull and barely worth paying a lot of attention to anyways.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I love doing sidequests! A good game will always have plenty of them on top of the main story otherwise you could quite easily get bored or run out of things to do.

My favorite thing to do is a mixture of both. For example; I do a bit of the main story up to a certain area and when I discover the side quests within that area, I do all of them. Every single one so I get all of the gear and experience for my character. Then when I'm done with those, I continue the main story until the next area and repeat the process.

Sidequests are a good thing to break a bit off from the main story and have an opportunity to focus on something else. New characters, new stories, and new adventures.

WarVet

Reaction score
I love side quests. It seems I enjoy the game for longer if I finish all the side quests. I felt like that on Shadow of Mordor. So many quests and I worked hard to finish them all. However, i have to say some side quests are just pointless. Like gathering collectibles and doing other miscellaneous things that add nothing to the overall progress of the game. Those quests I hate.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I always try and do as many side quests as possible. My first real experience with side quests was in Oblivion. I did as many side quests as possible along the way before finishing the main story line. I like to have the option of deviating from the main story to take part in smaller quests that a lot of times can be interesting and give good items or rewards. I did the same thing with Fallout 3, and now with Borderlands 2, which gives you the side quests periodically along the main quest line. Each new set of side quests I get, I complete them before continuing the main story line.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I do some side quests once in a while, if I think that I am progressing too fast the story of the game. I even developed a habit that I should complete every side quest available before continuing to the next main quest but after play Skyrim, playing too much side quests made me feel tedious. I now only play side quests for the experience in order to be able to take on the next main quest because some quests are hard to finish and would require a higher level to endure.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I never do side quests anymore I prefer to do the main quest. The only way I will do a side quest is if it's for something that I need. Other then that the main quest in most games gives you enough experience to level to the max level with out doing any side quests. :smiley:

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I'd only do side quests if it were possible. Well, maybe not just them, but I love getting lost in a game's universe to explore it and see how NPCs are living, what they need and what they're doing. Side quests give you way more freedom than you could ever possibly get in the main storyline, even in terms of difficulty and rewards.
The only ones I tend to avoid, if possible, are the "Collect X number of Y item". Most of them are just annoying and repetitive, I've rarely found any of this kind to be entertaining.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I enjoy to play side quests, but I never skip the main story. I usually leave it after I complete the main story, in order to understand better some aspects of the story, unlocking abilities, or even just expanding the life time of the gameplay from that game. This happens often when a game is amazing and nostalgia strikes me ahah

sephyr

Reaction score
For FFXIV, you literally run out of quests to do. I like quests as a whole and ffxiv has so much of it. However, the fact that you can level any or all jobs/classes in one character makes quests (main or side) just enough for one or two of those jobs. Then you need to find other means of leveling. Fun though. ;)

Reaction score
As much as possible I only go through the main quests. I try to progress through the game as fast as possible because it opens more opportunities for the growth of the character. You get more options to improve your equipment and skills as you approach the end game.

pierrepotro

Reaction score
The hallmark for me of a great game is how immersive the side quests can be apart from the main plot. I really like it when I can delay my main quests because I really enjoy getting sidetracked with the other quests.

Referal

Reaction score
If you mean by side quest like Mission instead of training or story mode then yes I prefer side quest as mostly games nowadays have mission then Side quest i like to get to the main event then complete the story mode once i understand the game I will try to finish the story mode as I have then understood the game and learned a lot from it game wise as well.