• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

PS4 Shadow of the Colossus

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Since E3 2017, I'm enamoring this amazing rework game. It all started some years ago on PS2, where the first game was released and become a huge phenomenon of sales and fans. Everyone was excited when the first remastered version was released for PS3, but now, Sony is stepping up their game, with amazing graphics. The main change according to the developers is the gameplay which will be a bit modernized.
What are your thoughts? Will you buy the new game? I sure will ;)

lindbergh

Reaction score
Nah. I loved Shadow off the Colossus on the PS2 but I don't see the need to purchase a remake on t the PS4. Heck, I didn't even get the remake on the PS3 because I knew that it wouldn't be worth the purchase. Same gameplay with slightly upgraded graphics? Meh.

Have the developers ran out of ideas that they just opt to dish out a second remake of the game? Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

If you happened to live under a rock and have not played SotC ever, then would the PS 4 remake be worth it?.? In a way,, yes.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Nah. I loved Shadow off the Colossus on the PS2 but I don't see the need to purchase a remake on t the PS4. Heck, I didn't even get the remake on the PS3 because I knew that it wouldn't be worth the purchase. Same gameplay with slightly upgraded graphics? Meh.

Have the developers ran out of ideas that they just opt to dish out a second remake of the game? Personally, I think it's a waste of money.

If you happened to live under a rock and have not played SotC ever, then would the PS 4 remake be worth it?.? In a way,, yes.
If sure have a point. I'm just a big fan of the game, and i think they might introduce new elements to the game since the game trailer isn't the final product. The game will just be released into 2018, and people usually give some thoughts about the game. Let's hope they hear us out and the final product will be amazing :)

WarVet

Reaction score
It was indeed one of my favorite games from PS2! I spent some many hours on it that after FFXII it was probably the ps2 game I most played. Still, i had no idea it was being remastered. I appreciate this remaster trend that has been going on lately. Always good to play classics and even better to play them with better graphics.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I will definitely buy the game once it's released. Why not? It will bring back so many good memories... just for that, it's worth it. I just truly hope that they won't stick some extremely expensive price on it since it's very hyped. People were really excited once it got announced at E3.

I can't wait till they tease us with more. I want to see the gameplay changes that you mentioned. Hopefully, it won't differ too much to the point where it would ruin the game but I have good faith :)

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
It was indeed one of my favorite games from PS2! I spent some many hours on it that after FFXII it was probably the ps2 game I most played. Still, i had no idea it was being remastered. I appreciate this remaster trend that has been going on lately. Always good to play classics and even better to play them with better graphics.
I'm 100% with you. I'm a very nostalgic gamer, when i watch some game i loved to play as a child being remastered, it's music to my ears ahah

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I will definitely buy the game once it's released. Why not? It will bring back so many good memories... just for that, it's worth it. I just truly hope that they won't stick some extremely expensive price on it since it's very hyped. People were really excited once it got announced at E3.

I can't wait till they tease us with more. I want to see the gameplay changes that you mentioned. Hopefully, it won't differ too much to the point where it would ruin the game but I have good faith :)
I feel some people are still skeptical of the final result and before some more details getting released. I just hope they don't input some elements in the game that will destroy the original game.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
Why are they doing this? Why they want me to buy a PS4?!
There are a few new games that are pretty nice, but between the Crash Bandicoot trilogy and this remaster of my favorite PS2 game ever I think I'll need to have a PS4 as soon as possible! I really hope they bring it the cut colossi, maybe as a bonus... it would be nice to fight them!

WarVet

Reaction score
I'm 100% with you. I'm a very nostalgic gamer, when i watch some game i loved to play as a child being remastered, it's music to my ears ahah

I wonder if you are familiar with Full Throttle then? It has just been remastered. It is a biker adventure released in 1995 and it was the first PC game that I played (I got a free copy with my Windows 98) I will limit myself to say that this game is the reason why I got into motorcycles haha. Very nice.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I wonder if you are familiar with Full Throttle then? It has just been remastered. It is a biker adventure released in 1995 and it was the first PC game that I played (I got a free copy with my Windows 98) I will limit myself to say that this game is the reason why I got into motorcycles haha. Very nice.

I always hear good things about Full Throttle, and this remaster might be my chance to play it! Even if I suck at adventure games, of course...
How would you rate it in terms of difficulty? And plots, characters... tell me why should I play it.

WarVet

Reaction score
I always hear good things about Full Throttle, and this remaster might be my chance to play it! Even if I suck at adventure games, of course...
How would you rate it in terms of difficulty? And plots, characters... tell me why should I play it.

Well, it's not difficulty. It's point and clicks. The only difficulty you could have is not knowing what to do next because old games were hard by nature. Still, if you check online you're sure to find help. Also, they implemented a feature in the remake that highlights all objects that you can interact with so this makes the game considerably easier. As to why you should play it well if you like bikes, tough main characters with witty remarks and some mild violence you'll love it.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Well, it's not difficulty. It's point and clicks. The only difficulty you could have is not knowing what to do next because old games were hard by nature. Still, if you check online you're sure to find help. Also, they implemented a feature in the remake that highlights all objects that you can interact with so this makes the game considerably easier. As to why you should play it well if you like bikes, tough main characters with witty remarks and some mild violence you'll love it.
I feel the same, old games were much harder than games nowadays. The only exception to this is the Dark Souls' games, these are amazingly difficult games.

WarVet

Reaction score
I feel the same, old games were much harder than games nowadays. The only exception to this is the Dark Souls' games, these are amazingly difficult games.

I agree. In fact, i like old games for this very reason. Back then the technology wouldn't allow for fancy graphics and game plays so the developers would focus on story and on keeping gamers entertained. And one-way they found to do that is by making games hard. Gotta love old stuff haha.

SeanP

Reaction score
Many have complained that a PS4 version of SOTC is coming so recently after the PS3 remaster. I get that sentiment to an extent - developers should be innovating and making new games, right?

At the same time, because this game is a genuine "remake" rather than a "remaster," I'm significantly more excited. I think the difference between those two is rarely emphasized enough. Remasters are just "shined up textures" and upscaled graphics, while remakes are complete reconstruction of a game's engine. Crash Bandicoot's Nsane trilogy is a recent example of a remake, and the game has experienced huge success since its release.

I love SOTC, so I will definitely pick this up eventually, sooner rather than later if the game makes changes besides graphics. Weren't their originally more colossi? I'd love to see some of them added in; the price-of-entry would be much more justified if so.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
Many have complained that a PS4 version of SOTC is coming so recently after the PS3 remaster. I get that sentiment to an extent - developers should be innovating and making new games, right?

At the same time, because this game is a genuine "remake" rather than a "remaster," I'm significantly more excited. I think the difference between those two is rarely emphasized enough. Remasters are just "shined up textures" and upscaled graphics, while remakes are complete reconstruction of a game's engine. Crash Bandicoot's Nsane trilogy is a recent example of a remake, and the game has experienced huge success since its release.

I love SOTC, so I will definitely pick this up eventually, sooner rather than later if the game makes changes besides graphics. Weren't their originally more colossi? I'd love to see some of them added in; the price-of-entry would be much more justified if so.
I hope they make the game a bit more challenging than the first game, with more colossi and harder but beautiful mechanics. Many people get that sentiment, yeah, but they forget that this game wasn't played by many new and young gamers. More than a remake, I think it is an opportunity! :D

Xilkozuf

Reaction score

I think the better idea would be adding more support to backwards compatibility. Of course it's hard and for developers and publisher is more profitable to just re-release a game with improved graphic, but I remember that when the PS2 came out you could play all PS1 games on it, with even better performances.
Now I would be fine with remaster and remakes if they add something consistent to the game, to justify the purchase. In this case, as I already said, I hope in the cut colossi... but I wouldn't take my hopes too high.

Tania997

Reaction score
I'll buy it. I also don't like the idea of another remaster, but I've never played this game on the ps2 or ps3. Everyone tells me it's a masterpiece and I'm really missing out by not playing this game. I don't even know what it is about though, is it really so good? What roles do the colossi play?

MICHAEEMEKA

Reaction score
shadow of colossus was really cool on ps2 i played it over and over even i prefer it better than god of war i learnt that the game is now on on ps4 with improved graphics but i dont have any cash with to purchase it can any member please send the gameplay on ps4 to alspot25@yahoo.com i would be glad to watch