• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

RPG maker MV

PingPongCall

Reaction score
Does anyone here use the new version of RPG maker? If you do, what do you think of it? I'm personally having a lot of trouble using it. The scripts and add-ons are pretty difficult to use this time around. By that i mean difficult to implement more so than actually use in the game once you have.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
What version of RPG maker do you mean? I have RPG maker VX ACE.
So far the only problems I've had are that I can't seem to make the character & item lists customisation window fit my screen. It doesn't respond to changing the screen specs either. It's really frustrating, I can't seem to by pass this.

But yes, the spripts are a little clumsy to really coordinate, and since I'm trying to make a riddle-solver RPG it's not making it very easy for me to make chained events across different maps.

Referal

Reaction score
I heard of it never used I will try it soon is there any other makers out there

Atropia

Reaction score
I used to have an old version of RPG Maker, however, I was never patient enough to figure the ins and outs of the program.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I've used almost all the recent RPG Maker versions: XP, VX Ace and most recently the new MV. I use them for fun and small games to share with friends, without any goal of selling anything (I'm not that good, and besides there are too much rpg maker games out there, on Steam and everywhere else). I like to experiment and try everything with new programs and software, so when I tried it for the first time it didn't took long before I was able to do most basic stuff (dialogues, small quests, opening chests...).
I think that with a good team (people good in graphic, music making, mapping, etc) it can give us really beautiful games (just the first example that comes to my mind: To the Moon is amazing, and it was made with RPG maker!).

overcast

Reaction score
Do you guys know any free one?
I'd say you can use the Unity 2D in that case. There is also Torque 3D which does allow you to browse the options for free. And they have open source license which makes it easy for you to distribute game. And there are no license type of costings. So that's one more good thing that you can get out of that. I'd choose that option as it's free. Find it through google - "torque 3D".

Robbie626

Reaction score
Do you guys know any free one?
There are a lite version of RPG Maker (I do not recall the exact version). However it is extremely limited that you rather purchase one. They usually have great sales occasionally which is the best time to buy one. I got a RPG Maker for $10 Instead of $25.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
Does anyone here use the new version of RPG maker? If you do, what do you think of it? I'm personally having a lot of trouble using it. The scripts and add-ons are pretty difficult to use this time around. By that i mean difficult to implement more so than actually use in the game once you have.

I found it to be a pretty cynical update. In general, RPG maker is a toy. It does have a lot of potential for someone who can code. I think it uses python but I don't remember for sure. The thing is that if you can code you're much better off using Unity or even Unreal if you're willing to accept their ludicrous pricing policy. Those are industry standard, fully functional engines. RPG maker just cannot deliver a true, rich development platform if you cannot code.