• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Renting games before buying?

Hidden308

Reaction score
How many of you do this? Rent the game first then buy it?

For me myself it determines what game it really is. Example would be Assassin Creed 3. I would buy it without a doubt but if it was a game like Call of Duty (After they ruined the game in my opinion from Black Ops and so on..) I would probably rent it first before buying it. :p

Demon_skeith

Reaction score
I use to back many years ago when I had tons of time and little money. But I don't anymore thanks to the internet and I know what to get.

pandaa

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever rented a game before. :eek:
Same here... LOL. It's gotten so expensive to rent anymore, plus most places will give you back a decent amount of money. I just don't see a point in it, personally.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Same here... LOL. It's gotten so expensive to rent anymore, plus most places will give you back a decent amount of money. I just don't see a point in it, personally.

My local renting store it isn't that expensive. It only cost like $5.00-$6.00 for 5 days. (It is between that I just forgot the exact) So it's pretty much paying $1 per day it isn't that expensive. :p

22_22

Reaction score
My local renting store it isn't that expensive. It only cost like $5.00-$6.00 for 5 days. (It is between that I just forgot the exact) So it's pretty much paying $1 per day it isn't that expensive. :p

It's alright if you complete a game in that time, I guess. :p

lunarsilkdragon

Reaction score
Renting games before buying shouldn't even be a thing. Why can't developers just make a goddamn demo?

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
It makes sense to rent a copy and then buy it to finish the game, that way you wouldn't be disappointed 10 minutes after the unpackaging. It's a tactic that saves people from a lot of senseless expenses and shopping frustration.

But I suppose a different way to go about it would be to try a demo first. Many games on Steam give you that option, and I think it's for the best, especially for games with an unusuall gameplay. For example, a demo of No Man's Sky would have cleared a lot of things out for people (but of course they didn't do that because they'd choke on their false advertisement even before they sold any copies). I remember several years back, PS2 games gave away demos very frequently to advertise their games, (not sure if they still do that with the later Sony console games) and I used to rely on those demos to buy games. The playthrough I needed in order to decide whether or not to buy the game, was just as little time as I needed to spend on a rented game to make up my mind.

Hoppit

Reaction score
Back in the days of the original Playstation (glory days), I used to rent games for £1 a night from our local games store, who had every new title pretty much. Often, to get my moneys worth, I would complete the game within one or two days and in so doing save myself a fortune. Nowadays I still rent games but they tend to have a lot more content than they used to so if it seems like that extra content is worth paying for then yes, I will go out and buy the title. Either that or download the Demo online or something.

dap1900

Reaction score
I personally have never heard about renting games before. If this thing exists, it's going to be something like, an assuring of games' guality. I think you can assure yourself as easily as watching gameplay videos in Youtube. Watching in Youtube is more convenient than renting games, in my opinion.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Renting actually exists in most of the good game selling shops. A lot of people don't rent to try the game but to play it through. If you rent certain linear games that aren't too long you can play through them in few days 100% and save some money.

I rented back in the PS2 days when I couldn't afford all the games I wanted so I took like 2-3 for few weeks and played through them then just returned them.

I can't say that I've rented any recently so I don't know how worth it is. I try not to buy short games or ones that I will finish in under 5 hours of in-game time because if you consider that majority cost above 50 euros it's a waste. I like buying multiplayer games or games that I know will take me weeks to finish - like Horizon Zero Dawn or FF XV.

It also depends on the actual renting prices vs full game price.

Corzhens

Reaction score
My nephew is not a game addict but he is up to date when it comes to games. I remember that I first heard DOTA from him when I was ignorant of the meaning which he told me. Anyway, my nephew would go to a cyber shop to test the games before buying. Some cyber shops that specialize in games are the most popular cyber shops mainly because most of the customers are game players. I think that is a good idea to try the game first before buying. And going to the cyber shop is almost the same as renting the software.

Sino989

Reaction score
I would highly suggest renting a game before buying. Yeah, it's spending more money but trust me you don't want to buy a game you end up not liking. For example, I bought Far Primal just based of off trailer and it turned out I do not like the game at all.

StolenKid

Reaction score
Hmmm, Isn't this why reviews are a thing? I mean, whenever I want to know about a game, I check the reviews and then if they say the game is really good, I go and buy it, if they say it's bad, I won't buy it.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I watch YouTube clips on sample gameplay and all that. I check system requirements to see if my PC can handle it. I don't want my PC's specs to be the reason I couldn't enjoy a game. Then, when all these check out, I wait for a Steam sale and get it. Then I play. If it's not to my liking, I can always get a refund, and I'll be free to look for another game that I might enjoy. It's that simple.

zackd

Reaction score
I'm usually a fan of this. I rarely buy new games and when I do I rent first.

Denis_P

Reaction score
My days of renting games are long gone, as I think the last time I rented a game was probably 15 years ago while my local video rental store was still open. However, my alternative to this has been Let's Play channels on YouTube. Instead of watching gameplay videos dished out by developers to make the game look polished as possible, I just watch regular people play them in a normal setting. This gives me an idea of what sort of gameplay and experience I can expect. If I like it, I buy the game. If I have my doubts, I wait until there is a price drop. If it looks dull, no deal.