• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Remembering the Dreamcast

lindbergh

Reaction score
Sega was one of the giants in the console manufacturing business. It battled toe to toe with Nintendo for years. But when Sony entered the scene, Sega was pushed aside like a rag doll. Sega's last attempt to stay relevant in the console industry was the Dreamcast.

Uae2-fxsenvm0307150.jpg

Probably named Dreamcast because Sega maybe wanted to keep their dream alive. The console was a monster. It was a 132bit system, capable of internet connectivity to allow gamers to play online. The system was also able to woo a lot of third party developers at first.

The Dreamcast had an impressive library of games given its limited life. It had Shenmue, Resident Evil Code Veronica, a perfect port of Marvel vs Capcom, Soul Calibur, Phantasy Star, Virtua Fighter... It was awesome.

Then came the PS2 and the GameCube and the Xbox and Sega found itself in the middle of a war that it could never win. Who had a Dreamcast console? Do you have fond memories of it?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I remember the Dreamcast, I was envious of all of my friends who had one. And I didn't have much money back then. And I had to save like crazy to get one and by the time I saved up enough money to buy one. The PS2 was out and the Dreamcast was on the way out and I ended up buying a PS2 instead.

lindbergh

Reaction score
I also didn't have a DreamCast but I had a friend who had one. We would always frequent my friend's house to play PowerStone, Soul Calibur, and Virtua Fighter. I too was envious of my friend but at least he was kind enough to allow us to play at their house all the time. I'm glad that I didn't dish out cash to purchase a DreamCast because it had a very limited life (I ended up purchasing a PS2 Slim instead) but I am a bit sad that such a great console was not properly supported by third party developers and even Sega itself. If Sega did strive hard to make the DreamCast work, I can't help but wonder what the console war would look like now...