• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Planning to upgrade to the New 3DS?

athena02

Reaction score
Are any of the 3DS owners on here planning to upgrade to the New 3DS?

I have to admit that at first I wasn't exactly happy about my recently purchased 3DS being made obsolete in regards to the New 3DS exclusives. But I've decided to be positive about it, and consider it as a whole new handheld. If anything, it was my fault for jumping on the 3DS bandwagon so late.

blackcanary

Reaction score
I've personally owned my 3DS for years now, it's one of the original ones and I got it a few months after it came out which much have been I guess about 4 years ago?

I'm not planning on upgrading just yet although it would be nice to get a XL 3DS, the screen on the normal version can be quite small. I personally don't see any huge reason to upgrade just yet, there's no exclusive titles for it and I can play the same games on my current 3DS so why should I get a new console?

I think many people are going to hold off too unless they really want a new DS, otherwise I assume that until the new gen of Pokémon requires people to upgrade there's not really much reason too. It's strange that there hasn't been a whole lot of news about it, I follow quite a few Nintendo youtubers and no one really made much of a fuss when it was released.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
I wasn't particularly wanting to. I don't know if I'll have a choice, though. When I go look for DS games 90% are for the 3DS. Unless I want to play the same games o Ed and over again, the upgrade is inevitable.

gadin210

Reaction score
Yes, I am currently saving up for 2 of them. One for me, and one for my girlfriend. We have been craving one for a good while.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get one eventually, but on my handhelds I don't want 3D. I have enough trouble seeing the small screen as it os

rockandgreen

Reaction score
I don't see a point in upgrading the 3DS, it's becoming a rapidly outdated console. Might as well get a new console altogether rather than maintaining a dying one.

yaorice

Reaction score
I don't see a point in upgrading the 3DS, it's becoming a rapidly outdated console. Might as well get a new console altogether rather than maintaining a dying one.

That's interesting, actually, what are you comparing it to? Because at least for me, there are plenty of 3DS titles coming out currently that are quite interesting, and promises of more in the next few years. I feel like the portability factor is definitely something that the Switch is trying to contend with, but to me it kind of felt like the 3DS might stick around for a bit longer. All that said, I'm still pissed about the new 3DS and new 3DS exclusive games...

Eggy216

Reaction score
For me at least, I think there's no point in upgrading to the New 3DS unless something happens to my original 3DS (which I got the day the system was released). I just don't like upgrading my consoles when it looks like Nintendo is likely to make a switch (heh) to a new version of the console at any time. The 3DS has had a long life cycle, and I'm guessing they'll be cutting down or cutting off support for it sooner rather than later.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Rapidly outdated? How exactly? It is constantly getting new updates and they're still very much developing new titles and exclusive games for the 3DS. I don't think that it is outdated or dying.

Regardless, this thread is a bit old :) I didn't upgrade my 3DS because the first one that I bought was around 2 years ago and it was the 3DS XL. I can't say how the previous version was but I absolutely love my 3DS. It is the best handheld console that I have tried out. It has so many amazing titles, such as reworked Zelda games, Mario's, Pokemon and more. For me, it was worth the money. I still very much enjoy laying in my bed and playing it. It fits really well in my hands and the screen is the perfect size.

Isn't 3DS still far more popular than the Switch? in terms of sales?

rockandgreen

Reaction score
To be honest all Nintendo sales are declining in recent years compared to when they originally started out. But hey, if you are into a certain type of game or console then buy it/stay with it or even upgrade it. Nothing stopping you.

fireball916

Reaction score
I don't have any 3DS consoles but I might get the new 2DS XL eventually. I've been wanting to get back into Pokemon, Animal Crossing and other Nintendo DS games but I don't want pay over $100 for a handheld. I didn't like the old 2DS because I didn't like how it was like a tablet and wasn't able to be closed. But the new 2DS XL can and with a starting price of $130 I can see a price drop or sale putting it right into my price range.

I don't see how the 3DS is a dying console. Didn't they just recently update the 3DS XL again?

LydiaHilda

Reaction score
I get annoyed with companies making their own products obsolete to try and force the consumer to buy more stuff. Not cool. The 3DS I've been using is just fine, and I use it pretty much exactly the way I used my old 2DS. The 3D feels like taking an eye test or, like those optical illusion books where you have to half-cross your eyes to see a hidden image. I'm kind of over the DS system, and just waiting to get my hands on a Switch.

Eggy216

Reaction score
To be honest all Nintendo sales are declining in recent years compared to when they originally started out. But hey, if you are into a certain type of game or console then buy it/stay with it or even upgrade it. Nothing stopping you.
Is this a trend across all consoles, though? I wonder if gaming sales in general are down with the advent of PC and mobile gaming carving out their own very strong sections of the markets. At least Nintendo's jump into the mobile market should help them a lot moving forward.

rockandgreen

Reaction score
Is this a trend across all consoles, though? I wonder if gaming sales in general are down with the advent of PC and mobile gaming carving out their own very strong sections of the markets. At least Nintendo's jump into the mobile market should help them a lot moving forward.

Portability and convenience make phone app games a dominant market that has superseded the success of gaming consoles in recent years. PC Games and communities are only still alive today due to the strenuous demand on graphics and processing power some top end games require. The midway - gaming consoles - are declining because they are losing their relevance in this ever changing world. You are right in saying Nintendo moving to the mobile market will help them financially.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I don't think there are enough reasons to justify this upgrade to me. I don't use the 3D feature anyway, so no point in doing that just for the improved effect. The only two New 3DS-exclusive games (the retail ones, at least) are Xenoblade Chronicles and the soon-to-be-published Fire Emblem Warriors, but I'm not willing to spend 100+$ just to play them. There are some other eShop titles which can only be played on New 3DS, like The Binding of Isaac, but I've heard it hasn't received much support by the developers (and, furthermore, that game has been released even on toasters, come on); SNES games are attractive, I'll admit it, but you can easily run SNES emulators on 2DS/O3DS with no lag. Not enough games make use of the C-stick either.
So... yeah, I'm gonna stick to my O3DS.

JaiGuru

Reaction score
I only do this if my old one breaks. Generally I am not a fan of buying the next "slimmed down" version because I think it sets a bad industry precedent. Companies should not feel it's okay to have consumers buying the same device twice. We really don't want the smart-phone market mentality to become standard int he world of handheld games.

SeanP

Reaction score
"Iterative" versions of handhelds are hard to sell to me. Because I already own a 3DS, I can't wrap my head around buying another one with only marginal differences. I am an early adopter of the Switch, and when the newer and smaller version of the Switch inevitably releases, I will have no interest. I think the most appropriate market for these new releases is for those who don't yet own the console.

The New 3DS is weird to me. It's a small hardware update, but as far as I can tell, Nintendo never really did anything with the increased power. I know that many games ran better on the new system, but was there any New 3DS exclusive game besides the Xenoblade port? These "half-step" upgrades are going to be a weird change in gaming, and we might see console gaming become more like PC gaming, with spec requirements and periodically required upgrades.