• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Nintendo (NX)

Hugop

Reaction score
Nintendo is going to release his new console with the codename "NX".
No one knows what it stands for, it can be a smartphone or a new console.

Some theories:
-Some speculate the N is Nintendo and the X is a cross, meaning Fusion. This ties it into a "leaked" list of specs for 2 unannounced consoles under the name "Nintendo Fusion". This "leak" was buzzing around forums for a time.
-Nintendo X as in cross between all six hardware phone/tables/pc/console/handheld and NX(this might turn out to be the Fusion)
-NX just stands for "Next Generation"
-NX=Cross platform=mobile

As further evidence that Nintendo is not abandoning the console business, Iwata announced that "As proof that Nintendo maintains strong enthusiasm for the dedicated game system business, let me confirm that Nintendo is currently developing a dedicated game platform with a brand-new concept under the development codename 'NX.'" Later in his remarks, he again referred to NX as "It is too early to elaborate on the details of this project, but we hope to share more information with you next year."

Some links:

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/nintendo-nx-release-date-news-and-rumors-1289401
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/you-can-pre-order-a-nintendo-nx-right-now-but-please-don-t-1288722
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/consoles/the-nx-is-nintendo-s-next-gen-console-and-it-may-be-revealed-next-year-1288500
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/nintendo-partners-with-dena-to-develop-mobile-phone-games/

Zahreah

Reaction score
I don't think i'll ever buy into a Nintendo console until the games they produce remotely interest me.

Guardian

Reaction score
While I share the sentiments of Voi, I do have to say that I am glad Nintendo is staying in the market. While I most likely won't buy their product (due to game selection that I care nothing for), they do hold a niche in the market that does satisfy some gamers. Additionally, the more choice for gamers is always a good thing, and the little things they do can help keep Microsoft and Sony from being too complacent.

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
A new console already? After the Wii U kinda flopped I didn't think they would release a new console that fast.

Hugop

Reaction score
Toxique said:
A new console already? After the Wii U kinda flopped I didn't think they would release a new console that fast.
Well, they are not releasing it, just working on it and sharing everyone the projects name :D

Ging_Freecss

Reaction score
I wonder what it could be, there were rumours that it ran on android soft ware but that was shot down pretty quickly by Nintendo. Either way I can't wait till they unveil it :D

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
This new system is going to be caught between a rock and a hard place, wit fail written all over it. Nintendo really shot themselves on this one.

First off, the 100 million people that bought the original Wii weren't happy when Nintendo turned off the Wii's online two months before the Wii U's release. And that's part of the reason so many of them didn't purchase the Wii U aside from the controller. So if they just cut support for the Wii U just as the NX comes, what do you think that will do to consumer confidence.

If they come out when the next PS and Xbox systems come out, they will more than likely get crushed again since they make a point to NOT build their machines to compete. That will once again stiffle any third party efforts.

If I were them, I wouldn't be sure what to do at this point.

niightwind

Reaction score
Hmm... I'm a bit torn on this one. I do have plenty of Nintendo games that I am fond of, definitely. In fact some of the games I've enjoyed the most have been for the DS/3DS systems. But Nintendo's Wii U was really such a disappointment to me, and none of the games that came out for it were all that great aside from the new Mario Kart. Nintendo is going to really have to step up its game if this turns out to be a new console of some sort.

At this point, I think the project could go in any direction, really. I have no idea what Nintendo has up its sleeves, but I do hope for the sake of the company that whatever the NX turns out to be is more successful then their previous attempt. Good luck, Nintendo!

ProNine

Reaction score
I have a little theory that the Nintendo will be a console. This is solely based on the naming and remote facts. Both competing companies, Microsoft and its xBox and Sony and its PS series, both share the X button. D:
Then again, Nintendo can always stick to the original X,Y,B,A.

Patrick

Reaction score
I have a theory; the "X" bit probably referring to the roman numeral for 10. This would be their 10th console.

First off, the 100 million people that bought the original Wii weren't happy when Nintendo turned off the Wii's online two months before the Wii U's release. And that's part of the reason so many of them didn't purchase the Wii U aside from the controller. So if they just cut support for the Wii U just as the NX comes, what do you think that will do to consumer confidence.

You're telling me all 101 million people who bought the Wii were all hard core online players. And they all got salty when Nintendo halted the original Wii's online service after 8 years. Because of that, they refused to buy the Wii-U?
Nah, not buying that. People were generally not interested in the Wii-U because it wasn't innovative. It's design wasn't appealing to the audience it was aimed at. Not only that, but it's price is far too high for what they're advertising. Add the fact that there are not (and probably won't be for some time) any appealing titles and you've got yourself a potential flop. Third-party producers have noticed this, and how most every other Third-party title before them has been doing horrible in sales. That's why people don't buy the Wii-U.

If they come out when the next PS and Xbox systems come out, they will more than likely get crushed again since they make a point to NOT build their machines to compete. That will once again stiffle any third party efforts.

The Nintendo consoles have ALL been underpowered. Every single one of them have been weaker than their competitors. The reason for such is because Nintendo doesn't need to build some incredible powerhouse to be successful. The Wii was, by all means, a successful console. Over 8 years it sold more than both the PS3 and the Xbox 360. During the first half of 2007 it sold more than the two of them combined. As I've said in a previous thread, Nintendo chooses to be modest with their hardware because it's not necessary for them to invest a lot for them to be successful.

To address the potential success (or failure), I'll always have faith in Nintendo as a company, but if the company decides to dish out something even remotely similar to the Wii-U then they're doomed to fail once more.

AWBrawler

Reaction score
I think everybody has gone into NX overload, and they're looking at it all wrong. Yes the Wii U is not dominating like the Wii did, but it is still profitable, and Nintendo is in no dire need to replace it. Keep in mind they also have the 3DS, and they are actually leading this generation in most game systems sold. (nearly 65 million between 3DS and Wii U) I think we will maybe see the portable version at e3 2016 but i don't see NX releasing in 2016, especially with Zelda U, Starfox, Pokken, Genei ibon roku #fe, lost reavers, and a possible pikmin4 still coming to Wii U.

paigeswan

Reaction score
I have not used a Nintendo product in forever! The last time I used one was my Nintendo DS from about 7 years ago. I kind of miss it. Those were very popular then and people still use variations of them. Nintendo definitely has potential for some cool new devices. It will be cool to see what they come up with over the next few years.

Kaitara

Reaction score
I'm reading that the NX might be a tablet, which is very interesting considering Nintendo's history with handhelds (hint: it's very good). If they completely back out of the home console market - which seems like it's on the way out anyhow - I wouldn't be very surprised. The Wii U did not do very well for many reasons. Nintendo might be better off focusing on the handheld/mobile games market.

Anyway, I can't really see them making the same mistakes they did with the Wii U. Nintendo is a company that learns from its mistakes. We know Nintendo's aptitude for innovation, so I hope whatever they pull out this time is something completely new and different that people end up really loving.