• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Minecraft becomes the first PC game to hit 20 million (!) sales

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
Thread Moved! Please post in appropriate section.
As seen on the now-updated Wikipedia page, which you can find here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games#List

This means that Minecraft is the first PC game to hit 20 million sales ever, surpassing the second title on that list, World of Warcraft, by no less than 6 million sales. I think that this number is absolutely mind blowing, and I don't think that Mojang had ever thought they would see so many sales back in 2009.

Guardian

Reaction score
Wow, that's surprising. Even given its popularity, I'm surprised it passed WoW so soon.

Ryu

Reaction score
Amazing. I need to get Minecraft sometime, see what all the hype is about.

I'm that out of it. :p

Martin

Reaction score
Crazy. Its expected to be 90 million with all the other platforms involved as well - for one game that is a huge number. It was a really good invention from Mojang and I am sure they are happy with how it turned out.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Wow, that's surprising. Even given its popularity, I'm surprised it passed WoW so soon.
I agree. Considering that Wow was over 14 million sold during Wrath of the Lich King expansion which we are now 3 ahead of. It was even at 12 million monthly subscribers there are still more than 2 million other people who have played and did not renew etc. Not to mention all the other accounts that people would buy beyond their original account. I myself have more than 1 account.

I'm just going to assume that this number has not been updated in a while.

This is a quote from 2012:
Last year, when there were 12 million players active, Blizzard said that more people had quit than were currently playing, which means as of now, it'll be about 25-30 million. Quite a lot, if you ask me! :p

So I'm still going to say Warcraft is way beyond minecraft

Guardian

Reaction score
. Not to mention all the other accounts that people would buy beyond their original account. I myself have more than 1 account.

I'm just going to assume that this number has not been updated in a while.

Now that you mention it, I've actually bought the game 3 different times in the past for just myself (thankfully the battle.net account came along and I stopped losing accounts :p ) and once more for my wife. That's 4 accounts between 2 people. Think of the millions, and how many times it has been bought as a gift and unused...

I think the WoW number is low too. With 12 million active subscribers, no way that ONLY 14 million bought the game. The number has to be at least double that.

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
That one's a bit excessive. :p

Not really. All platforms means that mobile counts too. The low price on that platform combined with the low price of admission for the hardware you play it on means that a lot of kids got it on mobile, even if it's a watered-down version. Also, the fact that Microsoft now owns it means that it will see a lot, and I mean a LOT of publicity.

Guardian

Reaction score
Not really. All platforms means that mobile counts too. The low price on that platform combined with the low price of admission for the hardware you play it on means that a lot of kids got it on mobile, even if it's a watered-down version. Also, the fact that Microsoft now owns it means that it will see a lot, and I mean a LOT of publicity.

Well, a lot of people that know about it have already moved on from the game. To increase it by THAT much, they need to add some pretty extensive features to the game.

Last edited:

GlacialDoom

Reaction score
Well, a lot of people that now about it have already moved on from the game. To increase it by THAT much, they need to add some pretty extensive features to the game.

I wouldn't say that a LOT of people have moved on. I definitely have, and so did all my friends, but children still play it, believe me. I have a 9-year-old niece who is absolutely obsessed with PewDiePie, Yogscast (bloody hell, those guys are still milking cash out of Minecraft!) and, of course, Minecraft.

I also volunteer at a poor children daycare, and a lot of them, and I mean A LOT own a smartphone with, you guessed it, Minecraft Pocket Edition installed.

Minecraft is still HUGE, and will be for a few years before it decides to die down quietly.