• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Microsoft points have now been discontinued!

H

Hoax

[align=center]Microsoft points have now been discontinued and instead local currency will be used

Mega info thread which explains whats happened​

What has changed?

As part of the recent Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points are being retired, and transactions on Xbox 360 are taking place using your local currency* instead of Microsoft Points, offering you a new, convenient way to purchase exciting Xbox content. This change allows you to use a single Microsoft account to purchase content from your Xbox 360, and apps from the Windows Phone Store for users with a Windows Phone 8!

How does this affect me?

You’ll use local currency or an Xbox Gift Card (denominated in your local currency), in addition to other current payment methods available in your region, to purchase your favorite content on your Xbox 360. The next time you initiate a purchase or redeem a Microsoft Points card or code on your console with your Microsoft account, we’ll add to your account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, and your Microsoft Points will be retired. The currency we add to your account at the time of the transition will expire on June 1, 2015. However, the currency you purchase and add to your account after the transition will not expire.

What if I have an Xbox Live Gold Family Pack?

When you or one of the secondary account holders in your Gold Family Pack next initiate a purchase or redeem a Points card or code, we'll add to that account an amount of money equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of that account's existing Microsoft Points. The Microsoft Points will be retired, and the currency will immediately be available for use, in addition to the other current payment methods available in your region. This transition may also take place at the same time your Gold Family Pack is converted to individual Xbox Live Gold memberships.

Is there anything I need to do?

Start buying something or redeeming a code after signing in on an Xbox console. For now, your billing account needs to be in a supported country, and you do need to use an Xbox 360 console, but we are working to make this available without a console. You’ll still be able to use payment options other than Microsoft Points, including credit cards.

How did Microsoft determine the amount of currency added to my Microsoft account?

To make this a seamless and positive experience for our customers, we have considered many factors to help ensure that the amount added to your Microsoft account is of equal or greater Marketplace value than your Microsoft Points. Marketplace value may not always be equivalent to retail price. Retail price is determined by the Retailer, whereas Marketplace value reflects the value of Points throughout Microsoft stores.

What happens to my Xbox Live Rewards?

Prior to the transition of your account, all your earned Pending Microsoft Points will be added to your account. When your account transitions, we’ll add to your account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of your Microsoft Points, inclusive of the value of your Rewards, and your Microsoft Points will be retired.

What happens to Microsoft Points Cards?

Xbox Gift Cards (denominated in your local currency) will be available for purchase in retail stores and through online retailers starting in late 2013. Microsoft Points Cards you purchase in retail stores will continue to be redeemable on your console and Xbox.com until further notice. Microsoft has no plans to discontinue acceptance of previously purchased Points cards and codes.

What if I still have codes and/or Microsoft Points Cards that I haven’t yet redeemed?

Go ahead and redeem them! Even after your account transitions, we’ll still accept purchased Microsoft Points Cards and codes until further notice, and we’ll add to your account an amount of local currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value of those points. When you next redeem a Points card or code, those Points will be retired, and your account will begin using your local currency instead. Microsoft Points cards and codes that you have purchased and choose to redeem after your account has transitioned will expire one year from the date the Points are redeemed. Applies to US/Canada only: we will not apply taxes when you spend the currency that we add to your account at the time you redeem your Microsoft Points Card or code.

Can I transfer currency from one Microsoft account to another?

No. Currency in your Microsoft account can’t be transferred to another Microsoft account. Xbox Gift Cards make great gifts and can be purchased in retail locations or through any of our online retailers’ websites beginning starting in late 2013.

Do I have to use the currency in my Microsoft account as my primary payment method?

No. Although your account is initially set up with the currency in your Microsoft account as your payment method, you can still directly purchase content from your Xbox 360 using any other current form of payment available in your region, including credit cards.

Can I split payment between my local currency and a credit card?

Yes, when your local currency balance is not sufficient to pay for the content, you can charge the remainder to your credit card.

Will I be taxed on the content that I buy on Xbox Marketplace?

We will not apply taxes when you purchase content using currency that we add to your account at the time of the transition. However, when you use currency that you add to your account after the transition (including from Xbox Gift Cards), all appropriate taxes will be applied to those purchases.

What happens to the value added tax (VAT) that I paid during my Microsoft Points purchase? Do I have to pay VAT twice?

No. For regions with VAT we will add currency equal to or greater than the Marketplace value (including VAT) of your Microsoft Points back into your Microsoft account at the time of transition; therefore you will only pay VAT once.

Why are some in-game Downloadable Content (DLC) Packs still priced in Microsoft Points?

The in-game prices you’ll initially see for some DLC Packs do not display in currency for in-game purchases. If you notice a DLC Pack is priced in Microsoft Points, please proceed with the purchase as usual by clicking the Download or Purchase button to see the purchase price in currency. When you confirm your purchase, the transaction will complete in currency.

Where can I use the currency in my Microsoft account?

The currency in your Microsoft account can be used to buy a variety of Xbox content from your Xbox 360, as well as apps from the Windows Phone Store for users with a Windows Phone 8.

Can I buy an Xbox Live Gold Membership with the currency in my Microsoft account?

The currency in your Microsoft account can’t be used to buy an Xbox Live Gold Membership at this time.

Can I buy music with the currency in my Microsoft account?

Beginning in late 2013 or in 2014 (dates vary by region), you will be able to use the currency in your Microsoft account for music purchases of individual tracks and Xbox Music Pass on Xbox One.

Can I still purchase movies, TV shows and music on Zune?

After the Fall 2013 release of the Xbox 360 update, Microsoft Points will be retired and the Zune PC software client will no longer support purchase or rental of music, TV, or movie content. However, you will still be able to stream unlimited music with your Xbox Music Pass and enjoy playback of other music, movies, and TV shows in your collection. For additional information on using Xbox Music and Xbox Video, please visit http://www.xbox.com/zune.

I’m on the original Zune Music Pass that allows me to keep 10 songs a month. Will I still be able to redeem my song credits in the Zune PC software?

Yes. There will be no impact to your legacy Zune Music Pass or your ability to redeem your 10 monthly song credits.

Can I use the currency in my Microsoft account to buy third-party subscriptions, such as Netflix, Vudu HD movies, HBO GO, or Hulu Plus?

No. Currency in your Microsoft account is not a payment option for third-party subscriptions, such as TV programs, movies, games, and app subscriptions. However, you can purchase such subscriptions using another form of payment, including credit cards.

How do I change my account location?

You can move your Microsoft account from the region it’s associated with now to any other region up to one time every three months. However, after your Microsoft account transitions, the currency in your account will not move with you, so be sure to spend your currency before you change your account location! For more information or to move your account, see Moving? Bring Xbox Live with you!

Can I redeem currency from a different region in my account?

No. You can only redeem currency from the region associated with your account.
[/align]

I do not take credit for the info here, just the time posting it :D

Pluto

Reaction score
Might want to change the color of the thread, can't really read the body text.

H

Hoax

Yes it is a work in progress, i hadn't finished editing it when you posted lol

Scion

Reaction score
Nice post, lots of great info here

H

Hoax

Thank you sir, i know its a lot to read that's why i split it up into spoilers makes it a little easier

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
Yeah the spoilers make it real easy to read, great post Hoax!

Neriou

Reaction score
Nice and organized post, and its always good to spread news!

robertson123

Reaction score
Thanks for the information i thought it had changed as when i was purchasing games you could not buy them with points

Minecraft2201

Reaction score
I'm actually kind of FOR the currency rather than Microsoft Points. Then you can actually see how much something costs. Yeah, you can estimate with points, but you won't really know. Good decision on Microsoft's behalf.

bleblanc10

Reaction score
I absolutely hate Microsoft points and think it is just a scam for them to try and make more money.