• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Is Destiny worth getting?

Bremaine

Reaction score
I was able to get in on the beta to Destiny before it came out last month, but I have yet to play the actual game. I've been hearing a lot of good and bad about the game, so reactions seem to be mixed. I was wondering if the game is worth getting or not? I like FPSs in an open world like Destiny is and from what I played in the beta I had an enjoyable time, but how is the replay-ability factor? I worry that I will waste money on a game that I might not play for too long.

Any info would rock!

Avex

Founding Member
Reaction score
I've played it for a total of roughly 18 hours just from visiting friends as I do not own the game yet. As soon as I have money to spare, I'll be getting it without a doubt, it's brilliant and has great game mechanics. This isn't that much information really but it's worth the money believe me.

Ridge

Reaction score
I've put in around 50 hours so far...

I think Destiny is definitely worth buying. It gets repetitive, but all MMOs do. It just feels so good to play, the shooting feels great and all the stuff to do can keep you amused for a very long time.

Squigly

Reaction score
As a Bungie fanboy, I am inclined to say: YES

Replayability wise its kinda like Diablo 3 and Borderlands, if you want that epic loot drop you gotta grind for it and get lucky? Such games are always best played with friends, pester a group of chumps to buy the game and do raids and level up together with you. Peer pressure ftw

If you're bored you can always go PvP in Crucible, which makes for a nice break from the grind.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
Just purchased it on my one last night. (OT, Damn games are getting expensive)
Played it for a few hours when my brother in law brought it over. It was alright. The real gaming is about to begin though. Will let you know what I think of it :)

Deedubs

Reaction score
I've played 50+ hours, it's quite short and I finished it in 12 hours though it was a fun 12 hours. Also if you don't like hard levelling up systems then you may not enjoy it because after level 20 you have to collect armour that gives you 'light' and you need a specific amount to level up (caps at 30 so far). Still I recommend you buy it, it's great fun with friends.

Nate5

Reaction score
I keep hearing about the lackluster experience and bugs that are in the game, hence why I'm a bit wary about whether I should buy the game or not. However, it's good to see the opinions of the other side! Unfortunately, my friends are just as wary as me and have not yet bought the game either, so I can't try it out. I think I'll wait a bit longer. Thanks for all these replies, they really help me make my decision!

Atlas_Hope

Reaction score
I'd say if you have a group of friends to play with then it's definitely worth it. Otherwise I think if you have any interest in the game, it's best to get it whilst the multiplayer community is still bustling than wait ti it's really cheap, yet no one's playing it anymore. It definitely does not feel like Halo, which in my opinion is what makes me like the game.

BluBird

Reaction score
I would say that it is worth buying, but only if you're okay with essentially a Halo MMO in it's early stages. Just like in most shortly post launch there's not a lot of content yet so you need to grind to get the good stuff, and the story is obviously left full of holes to be filled in later. The core gameplay, though, is extremely solid and fun. Plus, the setting and storyline that do exist are actually pretty good if not entirely original.

All that said, if what you're looking for is a particularly social game, I wouldn't necessarily say that Destiny fits the bill mainly because of the restrictions Bungie has placed on chat with those you don't know. It's pretty tough to say just how willing the players would be to communicate until those restrictions get relaxed/removed.

Darius

Reaction score
I would say that it is worth buying, but only if you're okay with essentially a Halo MMO in it's early stages. Just like in most shortly post launch there's not a lot of content yet so you need to grind to get the good stuff, and the story is obviously left full of holes to be filled in later. The core gameplay, though, is extremely solid and fun. Plus, the setting and storyline that do exist are actually pretty good if not entirely original.

All that said, if what you're looking for is a particularly social game, I wouldn't necessarily say that Destiny fits the bill mainly because of the restrictions Bungie has placed on chat with those you don't know. It's pretty tough to say just how willing the players would be to communicate until those restrictions get relaxed/removed.
So what you're saying is wait a while until Destiny gets some good updates before getting it? Because I was considering getting the game aswell until I read this post. The beta was pretty promising. Now, I'm not so sure about it.

Davidwhs

Reaction score
I honestly say yes, Destiny is worth getting. I've spent a good amount of time playing it. But, this is my opinion. Everyone has their tastes in games. (notice my Avatar picture)

globulon

Reaction score
I was one of those skeptics that kept hearing about the repetitiveness, bugs, and lack of any clear story line. It's stopped me from buying it, but after hearing from you guys, I'm re-considering. If a big part of it is about grinding for the best loot, that's something I definitely enjoy. :)

RobertNick

Reaction score
Get it. Its an extraordinary game. You dont need to purchase the DLC (despite the fact that you can't do a percentage of the strikes on the off chance that you dont). Being under leveled truly isn't an issue. I've been a level 10 who did hits with level 30s and it truly wasn't a major ordeal. In the event that you need to do PVP, you'll need to at any rate be a level 20 however. I took a stab at doing it when I was a level 8 and got butchered again and again and haven't done PVP since.

All things considered however, Destiny is an incredible game. It would be decent if story mode were longer and a portion of the plunder drops are unreasonable and irritating (despite the fact that apparently arbitrary) yet its an incredible, fun game. Destiny isn't immaculate, no game ever is however for me, it would get my vote in favor of game of the year.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
I think you get your money's worth. It eventually gets tiresome. Once you get to the end its lacking on content. Overall, though, it's a really good game.

Shimus

Reaction score
I have three max level 32 light and a grimoire of almost 2800. It gets tiresome; even repetitive waiting for the new DLCs to keep me interested (no endgame, really - a couple of raids, back into PVP). While you're levelling up, experiencing everything, learning where things are - the game is a very fun MMOFPS. Because I said this; MMOFPS generally are just Lobby Based Host Sessions, but this one is hosted via servers and has plenty to do. If you don't mind the wait for DLC Destiny is definitely worth it - just don't expect a lot after you cap out.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
That's where I'm at right now. When I decided to take a break from it I had everything you can get. The only thing I did was help people with their weeklys and nightfalls, and occasionally take someone through the hard Crota raid. When the C comes out I plan on buying it and seeing if they added enough to make it fun again. If not, I'm probably done for a while. Up until now, though, I really did get my money's worth out of it.

Smokey

Reaction score
With the expansions, I'd say yes. I want to play it more but I have little time to dedicate to one game right now. That said, I have been away from it for awhile so it will be nice to get back into it. I would recommend it, especially now that you can snag it for $40 or even less nowadays. :) I would say it's definitely a good buy, especially if you liked games like Halo and Planetside.

Shimus

Reaction score
It's a very decently designed MMO *Yes, MMO* FPS. IT's not a lobby based system unless you're launching into the various elements of the game. Plenty of PVE, Plenty of PVP, Daily missions, weekly resets to make it feel truly MMO. The only problem is the way they chopped up the game to release the DLC, because some stories make absolutely no sense and they introduce too many enemies way too fast and try to make you understand their storylines with little to no backstory, unless you log on to Bungie.Net and read the grimoire cards (which actually tell the lore of the game). With the lore (if it was included inside the game) it could have been a masterpiece, but people won't log out to read them unless they are hardcore fans like myself.

That being said the lack of content makes me play it rarely - I'll cap out my Nightfalls/Weeklies/I'll use Zur for Exotics still on Friday/Do the Raids for Lockout timers/ and cap Vanguard/PVP Marks on each of my three guys. This usually takes up for 4 of the 7 days in the week, so it's easy to enjoy it spurts or whenever you want. Casual Hardcore player lol.

damowhite666

Reaction score
Yes definitely worth purchasing especially now that the cost of the game has dropped dramatically, I do get the whole "Halo" kind of feel from the game but that's not a bad thing I don't think, I'm currently playing as a hunter at level 21 I've heard from my friends that once you get to a certain level you start to level up differently not sure if they were actually telling the truth. Anyway yes definitely purchase the game you'll spend many many hours on the game and it's huge amounts of fun!

Martin

Reaction score
I am really unsure if it is worth a buy myself, I heard good things about the mechanics and people seem to be going back so it must be doing something right. I just feel that getting into the game from a new level right now would make me unable to compete against everyone else who will have very upgraded players. I have heard of people trying to get into it but getting missions destroyed by high ranking players taking all the kills instead.