• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Influence Of Video Games On Children

lindbergh

Reaction score
In the past, people have been blasting video games, saying that they didn't set a good example for children. Violent games like Mortal Kombat received a lot of hate from non video game playing adults.

But look at how the games have evolved. Now, video games have become very realistic. There's blood and sex and gore all over. Game developers have more freedom now, more than ever before. They are allowed to make games that they want. To combat this, video games receive different ratings. There are those that are applicable for kids, those for teens, and those games that are only for mature people.

Still, despite these ratings, there are some kids who still are able to play mature games. What do you think is the influence of video games to kids? Do they have a huge impact on how kids will act in real life?

Heatman

Reaction score
In the past, people have been blasting video games, saying that they didn't set a good example for children. Violent games like Mortal Kombat received a lot of hate from non video game playing adults.

But look at how the games have evolved. Now, video games have become very realistic. There's blood and sex and gore all over. Game developers have more freedom now, more than ever before. They are allowed to make games that they want. To combat this, video games receive different ratings. There are those that are applicable for kids, those for teens, and those games that are only for mature people.

Still, despite these ratings, there are some kids who still are able to play mature games. What do you think is the influence of video games to kids? Do they have a huge impact on how kids will act in real life?

I think that as much as games have been a good impact to kids, it has also been a bad influence on them as well. My reason for saying this is most games tends to be educative, and instructive. It has a nice way to making such children sharp in thinking and relating to things. Take for instance Chess game and detective games, they normally have good influence on kids playing them. It makes them to reason tactically in order to be able to win such game which also affects their general thinking.

But there are some games that doesn't have any good impact on these children, it only serves as a source of leisure to such kids and which practically takes almost all their time thereby making them completely lazy kids.

Gray

Gray
Retired Staff
Reaction score
TBH, I've been playing games such as GTA and other violent games since I was a child and they've had no impact on me what so ever, I know murder is wrong, I know doing drugs is bad, gambling too much is bad, I was always told this stuff by my parents, plus whenever I played certain games I would always have my brother with me, reminding me of the bad things...

The fact is, if a parent thinks certain video games are bad, then why buy it for you kid? If the game clearly says "M for Mature" then why would you buy it for your kid to play? It's simple logic a lot of people should know, and it's stupid how parents will place blame on games even though it's there choice on how they want to parent there own children.

Matt6868

Premium Member
Premium
Reaction score
Games that have violence are important.

BMT1014

Reaction score
It depends on what kind of games. I let my kids play Minecraft it's like a puzzle where in fact it is a good exercise for the brain. I do not allow my 7 years son to play GTA or any war games. I learned my lesson well to my first son when I let him play all the games he wants and he becomes violent in school. His teacher told me to let him stop playing brutal games. It has a negative effect on the behavior of the children. Games are like songs, once you played it, definitely it will store in your brain.

augusta

Reaction score
Well,for me before I allow kids to play any game on my mobile or PC I must have watched or played the game from the beginning to the end to certify it fit for children or else no playing by any kid.

yes,if a video game is always showing violent or indecency the kids can copy these habits which would not augur well with the children

GameCube

Reaction score
I don't think games which teach the ghetto life and stealing are appropriate. In that case, I wouldn't buy my nephew Grand Theft Auto. However, though, army games, as long as, generally speaking, the kid is playing as a "good guy" are fine.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I think people make too much of a big deal about gaming and their influence on the younger audience. Most of the time it's the parents who are responsible for the actions of their kids, but they would rather blame something else rather than admit the fact that they failed in some aspects as a parent.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I don't really think that video games give any sort of influences to children, regardless of the genre that they play. All of my friends and I have been playing video games, most of those being violent ones since we were about 8 or 9, I think it depends on your upbringing, mental state and other factors. I don't think a game itself can have an influence on somebody's mind unless they suffer from some sort of mental disability or have been brought up in certain ways that would allow games to actually have an influence on their decisions in life. I do think though that children should only have access to such games if they are mature enough to view the content in them. I wouldn't have any issues letting my children play games such as Grand Theft Auto for example, so long as I believe they are mature enough to play them.

Some video games however can have a positive influence on children. I read somewhere a while ago that Minecraft and other similar games have actually helped children become more creative etc.

Not Sag

CW Super Admin
Reaction score
I think that it's all non sense when people say video games influence children. Games actually can help develop a child's way of learning and creativity. Although there are games like CS:GO which just makes everyone angry, which can have an influence. And I guess with games like GTA, it kinda does promote hood gangs etc and maybe could influence young children.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I think video games have a huge influence on children. And that's why I get so mad when I see parents buying young children M rated games. When you give a 7~12 a M rated game your training them to kill without a conscience. And when the child does something bad then its the game makers fault and not the parent and it infuriates me when people blame the game companies.

GameCube

Reaction score
I think people make too much of a big deal about gaming and their influence on the younger audience. Most of the time it's the parents who are responsible for the actions of their kids, but they would rather blame something else rather than admit the fact that they failed in some aspects as a parent.

Some have said the same thing about parents who send their kids to a private and/or military school. Well, I mean, didn't they threaten either Bill or Ted with that (Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure)? However, it seemed his dad was a good one, but maybe he was too strict - causing a rebel backlash.

Referal

Reaction score
I swear I wrote a similar article to yours but about my point It really depends How much they spend time Playing games But you gotta consider different factors such as movies and TV shows and friends that influence them so yes.