• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How to Downgrade to Custom Firmware (iOS)

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
So this is a simple tutorial I have decided to write myself, I will also add the links to any required downloads below.

This Tutorial, will show you how to downgrade to previous versions of iOS on iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. (Not sure if it works on A5 and A6 devices yet)

I recommend you have or download the following:

-Your device
-Tiny Umbrella
-iTunes
-iFaith
-Downloaded IPSW for the version you want to DOWNGRADE TO (Must have blobs saved)

So lets begin!

The first thing you want to do is to make sure you have all of the downloaded programs ready, iTunes, Tiny Umbrella and iFaith.

Now you want to check which SHSH Blobs have been saved on your device (these are what you need to downgrade) . Plug your Device into the computer and load up Tiny Umbrella. Click on your device in the top left hand corner and click on the 'Advanced' tab. Make sure 'Save ALL Available SHSH' is checked and also make sure that you have the 'Save SHSH Directory' set to a path of your choice. e.g. your documents.

Now at the top left, above your device it should say 'Show ALL SHSHs', click on that and then press the 'General'. It should now list your Saved SHSHs and should look like this: http://gyazo.com/1bd98015edaef4835e35c75c8c5c13a3

It should say 'iPod4G (4.2.1)' or something similar depending on what SHSH blobs are saved and what device you are using. If there are none, I don't know what to do next, if you PM me I will try and help you out. If there are some or one there, remember what the numbers are inside the brackets, for example one of mine says '(4.2.1)' this is an older iOS version which has been saved so I will downgrade to this.

Now you can exit Tiny Umbrella and go to Google. Type in the numbers and then IPSW download. (Example: '4.2.1 IPSW Download'). Find the download for your device and wait until it is completed. Now open up iFaith. You should be prompted with a menu screen, click 'OK' and then click 'Build *Signed* IPSW w/ Blobs
'. Press 'Browse for SHSH Blobs Cache' and find where you saved your Blobs with Tiny Umbrella. Click on the Version you want to downgrade to and you have the download to and press Next. Now, it should ask you to find the IPSW file or Download it for me. You should have downloaded it already so go ahead and find it. If not then ask for it to download it for you. Now it should show a 'Credits and Thanks' page, in the bottom right hand corner, press 'Build IPSW'.

Now, it is bulding the signed IPSW (Basically, editing it to allow iTunes to do a Custom IPSW Restore). This should take a little while but once it is done, it should tell you to enter PWNED DFU Mode, don't worry, it will tell you exactly how to do it. I will also guide you.

1) Power off your device. (Hold the Power button, and drag the red slider across)
2) it will give you a 5 second timer.
3) Once the timer is up, hold both Power AND Home button together for the 10 seconds.
4) Once the 10 seconds is up, release the Power Button and continue to Hold the Home button until iFaith tells you your device is in PWNED DFU Mode.

Now your Custom IPSW should be saved to your Desktop, large filename, something like this: http://gyazo.com/7f2975d964ed9d4553b0103b1c47d54d

Now iTunes should pop up and say they found a device in recovery mode, this device must be restored... This is great, if nothing pops up, manually open up iTunes and then it should say. BUT instead of clicking Restore, you will want to hold down 'SHIFT' and Restore for Windows and for MAC I believe it is ALT and Restore. Now a folder will open asking you for a IPSW, now find the Signed IPSW that iFaith created on your desktop and click okay, your device should now restore and should be fine! Now you should be able to do what ever you want and even Jailbreak your device.

Enjoy!

(Please do not steal this tutorial, I just spent ages writing this out for all of you from scratch so I can give you an in-depth guide on how to Downgrade)

Created from SCRATCH by ConnorUK.

If you believe I have missed out anything important, please PM me and I will edit.

Thanks!

Toxique

MOTM
Reaction score
That tutorial is great Connor, great to see you put so much time and effort into this tutorial. :D

Atom

Reaction score
Done this plenty of times. It's just too easy! :D I'm an apple noob. :p

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! It looks like a very difficult thing to do, but if you follow this correctly, you could *easily* downgrade within 15 minutes. :)