• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

How often do you buy new games?

amitkokiladitya

Reaction score
There are many who prefer to play games that are free to download. Investing money in buying games is not what they opt for, either by choice or because of limited funds.

I buy new games very occasionally and that too when they are available on discounts. Otherwise I always download the free ones and play. What is your preference?

BethSztruhar

Reaction score
Really often, so there's a lot I didn't played already. I usually buy games on sale, even if I don't really need them. If I need a game, I don't wait for the sale - I just buy it immediately or pre-order it.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I think we have fairly similar preferences. I really, really hate buying brand new games that cost crazy amounts of money (the ones in the range of $60-70). Sometimes, but very rarely, I do buy them but only if I have been waiting for that game title for over a year and I am too excited to wait.

Otherwise, 90% of the time, I simply wait for discounts or sales. The Steam sales are a good source of great games at low prices and they hold them a few times per year. Then you also have the constant sales on PSN store and more. I even buy used games for my PS4 to save money. I think I usually buy one new game per month (sometimes not even that).

You could say I am frugal but not to extreme measures :D

WarVet

Reaction score
I have to say very rarely these days. As you grow up your money spending priorities are switched, unfortunately. It seems when you're younger you don't have the money to buy the stuff you want and when you're old you do have the money but it's needed elsewhere. If I see a good sale however or if it's a friend's birthday then I will consider buying something. Freebies are always welcome :D

thart

Reaction score
The same thing for me too.. i almost download games and it's rarely when i buy one

Koyomi Araragi

Reaction score
I tend to grab a lot of games through sections of Reddit and the like devoted to free game codes/game deals on Steam or Humble Bundle. Just bought some games in the Steam summer sale, which is rare for me, but I had a little spare in PayPal.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Now, never... I depend on free games. My wife will kill me if she caught me spending for games.

CBL28

Reaction score
There used to be a time I would buy a game every few months. Now, I really haven't bought any new games in a long time. The economy where I live in isn't in the best condition, so it'd be hard for me to actually spend money on games. That's why I mostly stick to free games.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I would only buy games if there is a sale on a title that I like and the discount is more than 50%. But I dont really buy games that often. maybe 3 - 4 games a year. There are a lot of free to play games out there and have been playing a couple of them for more than a year.

Ferns

Reaction score
I buy 3 to 4 titles a year, but ever since going to work I can afford to buy a few more. I would only buy games that I carefully researched beforehand or those I've had a taste of to avoid disappointment and a waste of money.

Pixie06

Reaction score
If it is a game whose release I have been waiting for that I will usually save and then buy the game. In fact I have a friend who usually sell the games which he has already played at discounted prices and I usually buy them. I also play free games but however I found that the games that I buy are far more interesting.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I buy games during the sales. It's I think 3 times a year on Steam, so I have to save up and get the games from those because I'd feel more comfortable if the game is at least 60% off. Money spent on games always makes me feel guilty, so I have to get as much discount as I could get so the guilt is minimal and I can still play games :)

Denis_P

Reaction score
Not often at all really. Well actually, a more accurate statement would just about as often as there is a Steam sale! If I'm being completely honest, I'm a very cynical person when it comes to my views of video game quality these days. Maybe it's just me but I feel like it used to be that we'd get one good game after another, games that were genuinely entertaining and would keep my attention. On the other hand, these days it's rare for me to play a game that grabs my attention for longer than two hours. Because of this I find it hard to ever justify paying a full $60 for the experience.

overcast

Reaction score
These days my purchase patterns are totally off. I don't wish to purchase more games. I just want to finish what I have in stock and then give them away. Once I go through that then surely I'd be looking forward to another set of games which I can play with others. I am guessing that I would be buying much steam games in near future.

valy

Reaction score
Hi, I buy games from discounts just like you! Most of the time I prefer to download free games, or play the old ones I have, and this takes time until i finish all i have in my Pc or STEAM account, but when I get bored of what I have, I buy new ones, from discounts or not.... I need to refresh the playlist!

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I only buy new games every once in a while. Generally when Steam is running one of their ubiquitous sales, too. I would say maybe two or three times a year I'll snag a new game or two. Just the other day I grabbed a few games from Steam's summer sale since they were discounted. I just can't justify spending money on games more frequently than that, as I don't have the time to dedicate to them.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I used to mass buy games during sales, too (Steam sales, I'm looking at you), or purchase bundles, but I realized it was getting out of hand: my backlog is huge nowadays and I've barely got any time to play them.
Now I only buy a couple or three games a year (rarely full price, anyway) and focus on those, and then I try to whittle down my list of unplayed Steam games day by day. That's gonna take time, though.

SashaS

Reaction score
I make sure to only buy games that I know are going to be good and will provide at least 100 hours of gameplay. Reading reviews, watching videos on YouTube and getting a general idea of what the game is like and what you can do in it is pretty beneficial here. So I'd say usually I only buy a game once I've gotten tired of my other games, which isn't very often. I'd say my purchases are generally a few months apart.

That said, it wasn't always like this. I used to mindlessly buy every title with little knowledge on the premise of the game other than the screenshots and description on Steam. It goes without saying that it didn't take too long for me to realize that wasn't the way you should deal with games, unless you're rich of course.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I generally watch a lot of reviews on YouTube before I buy a certain game, this is because I want to get my money's worth. So you could probably tell that I don't buy often. I usually only buy during steam sales except for this summer sale since I need to save my money for a new phone. I guess I'll have to wait a couple of months for the next sale :/

StolenKid

Reaction score
I usually buy games pretty often, not like I have a time for buying games, I just look reviews and gameplay and then if I have the time to buy it, I buy it.