• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

PS3 How much longer?

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
How long do you think they'll wait before they start to phase the PS3 out? They have already shut down servers for several games. It's just a matter of time before they start getting rid of the others. At least, that's what I believe.

ProNine

Reaction score
I'd say 6 months from now. Sony would want to give the PS4 some time to settle before shutting down the PS3 servers and such.

Smokey

Reaction score
Next year will be the last year of the console's 'supported lifespan'. Each Sony console has had a 10 year life-span, the exception being the Playstation 2 which stopped production in 2013. This was because of how successful the PS2 was. It is the most successful console of all time, but that is the only exception, the rest is a 10 year cycle. So production/support will end in 2016. :)

Ridge

Reaction score
I'm surprised they still support it as much as theh do really.... Another year at most.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
I really like free to play. I already have to pay for the system, pay for the game, and pay for my Internet. Having to pay to play it online is just too much. I guess getting rid of the PS3 is going to make so no one has a choice.

Ridge

Reaction score
I really like free to play. I already have to pay for the system, pay for the game, and pay for my Internet. Having to pay to play it online is just too much. I guess getting rid of the PS3 is going to make so no one has a choice.

It's not like you also get hundreds of dollars of free games with PS+ or anything...

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
It's not like you also get hundreds of dollars of free games with PS+ or anything...
I get hundreds of dollars worth of free games with ps+ on my ps3... And still get free to play.

ProNine

Reaction score
Yeah, PS+ does offer good quality games. You are always saving money through using that service.
Off topic though, we should stay on topic.

Shimus

Reaction score
Next year will be the last year of the console's 'supported lifespan'. Each Sony console has had a 10 year life-span, the exception being the Playstation 2 which stopped production in 2013. This was because of how successful the PS2 was. It is the most successful console of all time, but that is the only exception, the rest is a 10 year cycle. So production/support will end in 2016. :)

This entirely. You can't expect them to not phase it out. Most consoles are a 10-to-15 year cycle (anywhere in between) before they can support for their previous versions. This is no different with Microsoft as well (look all the windows versions they've 'phased' out) so just prepare for it.

Ridge

Reaction score
I get hundreds of dollars worth of free games with ps+ on my ps3... And still get free to play.

So you had PS+ for your PS3 then? So what's the issue? You're paying for the service anyways, now it just does one more thing for you.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
Actually, I was led to believe it was on top of that. It's basically an added perk to the ps+? Better than I thought it would be. I still really love my ps3. If they are going to phase it out so soon, they should come down on the price of the ps4. I say that because that's a lot of money for someone like me..lol

Last edited:

lgdg090596

Reaction score
I would say in a year or two. However, it could last much longer.

pwarbi

Reaction score
I think the end of the PS3 will be the end of this year. As the year goes on, less and less titles will be appearing I would imagine, that's probably not due entirely to the fact the PS3 as reached its limit, because I'm not sure game developers ever really got the best out of the console. I think it's more to do with the fact that most companies now will be investing all their time in Next Gen gaming and concentrating on the future.

That will only apply to new games though, I think updates and patches etc will still be available for a couple more years yet, so the games you play now on PS3 won't necessarily become obsolete over night.

RUTHLESS

Reaction score
I'm going to have to start stocking up on some new games, then. I want to play my ps3 as Lon as possible! Lol

pwarbi

Reaction score
You not thought about upgrading to the PS4 then yet @RUTHLESS

It took me a while to decide what to do if I'm honest, I loved my trusty little PS3 but I have to say I'm pleased I did now.

joshposh

Reaction score
The latest figure that are released every so often do tell that PS3 and XBOX 360 are still being bought and sold around the world. With the newer consoles out the prices have dropped considerably for the early models. By that news alone, that should tell the powers that be to continue support of their older technology. But I do understand that they are pushing the new and more expensive tech. They make money off of people wanting the latest technology. They are banking on it.

damowhite666

Reaction score
Good question... I would like to know the answer to this as I still use my PS3 fairly often I don't think Sony are going to drop support for the console just yet as it's still being sold I mean didn't they stop PSP online support not so long ago? The PSP was released ages ago so I imagine it's going to be at least a few years before that happens... I guess we'll have to see :)

Martin

Reaction score
I would say support and development from the industry as a whole will stop before we get into 2017 I would say, developers will start to get more of a grip of the PS4 development and therefore be able to produce better games and therefore want to leave the PS3 behind.

Michael

Reaction score
I'll give the PS3 a few months before they officially stop selling them. I like the next gens and companies have stopped developing for Xbox 360 because of harddrive limitations. I'm saving up to buy a Xbox one though.

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
I doubt it's getting shut down at all.

Reason being, PS NOW. The PS Now games use the same servers as the PS3 games. And at the very least they'll need those to keep games populated.

Sure, some individual games got shutdown. But that happened with the 360 and Wii too. In fact, even the 360 online won't get shutdown. The Wii was the only one to just shut everything down. But then again, they didn't have much of an online network to begin with.

This isn't like the switch from the PS2 to PS3 or Xb to Xb 360. The PS3 and 360 are totally entwined in their respective networks.

Now, in terms of actually MAKING games, sure that may stop. But the ecosystem itself won't because of their PS Now ambitions.