• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Horror Game Project: One Night

Would you play this?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
Here something to catch your eyes on the quality we are going for in our game. These are all screenshots from in game.
teaser.png
teaser2.png
teaser3.png
OneNight.png

So me and another friend are currently developing a horror game using the Unreal Engine 4 and are planning to release it as an indie game on steam. Once we get a playable demo going we will be distributing the game via dropBox for people to test and review and are planning to hit up small (1k) to decent size (10k+) YouTubers to get the game publicized.

We are going for the level of detail such as this game:

The basic premise we are going for is a cop being called to the scene of domestic abuse and possible murder. The house is a bit run down and the electricity seems to be faulty. During the whole time the player is to investigate the scene and figure out what happened while keeping their wits.

I would like to also add that all the models and assets we are using is completely free as we are working and a very tight budget and are expecting this game to take about two months or more to get up and running with a demo by the 1 month mark.

==============================================

And here is the list of stuff that has been finished:

Progress Report 0.1

- Sprinting Mechanic with stamina system: No stamina = no running obviously

- Crank Flashlight: Flashlight slowly loses battery power and brightness until it dies (while on) the player can crank the flashlight (hitting r) until its fully charged or at a level the player is comfortable with.

- HUD: a working HUD that shows your stamina and battery power, as well as context messages for when approaching doors.

Progress Report 0.2

- Sound: We finally got some basic sounds implemented into the system, yay! So far there are foot steps, door opening and closing, flashlight on/off, and panting for being out of stamina

- Map Development: Terrain! Lovely grass textured terrain for you to walk around in before you enter the mansion. Also the entire first floor has been mapped out and the basement is currently in the works.

PRE ALPHA UPDATE VIDEO

Progress Report 0.3

-Door Lock system added: Some doors will be locked by default and their corresponding key will be located somewhere in another area of the mansion. Once the key is picked up, you head to the corresponding door(s) and interact with it and it will unlock, giving you access to whatever might be behind it.

-Journals: Because while you are walking around the mansion, most people love finding lore/stories within the game. So I've added just that. There will be books laying about the mansion that you can read.

-Flashlight: Changed from crank mechanic to batteries. Flashlight now lasts longer, but requires batteries to be powered, so make sure you keep an eye out for them while playing.

- More sounds: Along with the mention new features above they also have their sounds too. Opening/closing a journal. Attempting to open a door to find out its locked. Unlocking said locked door. And many more sounds, that you will have to wait to play the game to find out about.

- Map Development: The Foyer has been textured and add some props to make it look pretty. Also currently working on giving each room its own floor tile, as currently all of the 1st floor is just one massive plate.

Progress Report 0.4

- Pause Menu: You can now pause your game for when you shit yourself and need a break. Currently you can Pause/Quit/Resume/or open Options. Options currently contains two subcategories: Sound and Display. Sound is for in game sound such as sfx (footsteps) voice (for voice audio) and master (everything). Display currently only changes the window size of the game from windowed 720/1080/1920 and a 4th option for fullscreen which sets the game window to the size of your monitor.

-Level Development:
All of the first floor has been textured, couple rooms have been furnished.
Second floor has been completely mapped and textured, no furnishings yet besides railings and beams in some areas.
Third floor/attic is to be worked on next.
Basement is getting no love and isnt mapped yet or textured.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mazu

HL2 Super Admin
Reaction score
Sign me up for alpha testing <3

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
Like I said, our alpha will be done through having people play a demo via dropbox, so once that is up I will post a link either here or as a separate thread.

Zen

Reaction score
Sounds like an amazing game to play. I would love to play it, if I get really scared I will give you my rating on the horror of the game.
Wish you luck on making a scary game :D

Zesty Zebra

HL2 Community Manager
Reaction score
High definition models are nothing towards creating horror. Look at SCP CB, for example, it's got a shit set of models but it's hands-down one of the scariest games I've played. It's all in the atmosphere.

Watch that, he goes into detail about what makes it scary. Take note from it.

Zen

Reaction score
Plot Idea: A murder has been reported from a mansion in Yellow Oak Street. You are a cop who is investigating the crime scene, once entering the area. You see 4 cops that are dead across the grass with blood all over them, while it is raining. You enter inside the building as you see blood everywhere with chairs flipped over and find a survivor. He says what he has seen before a door creaks and a monster comes outside of it, and jumps you are blinded as you are in a mysterious room. You are gagged as well, and you must escape before he comes back, and in the main whole game you are trying to escape the mansion running into survivors and poltergeists, and jumpscares.

Plot Idea 2: You are investigating a crime scene in an house that involved a woman being raped and murdered as you enter inside of the building. The chandelier above you begins to shake as a light comes on to see a woman in a white dress with blood all over her face, then the light fades and she walks away into the darkness. You begin to investigate only using your eyes before you pick up a flashlight from the kitchen, when you turn around 2 pans fall to the ground as you are jump scared. Before you pass out and you are kidnapped, you can see where you are being dragged to before you are brought down to a elevator to a torture chamber of some sort. You are tied up and your mission is to get your hands untied and try to investigate this creepy mansion. After trying to try to escape through the door it is locked, and the glass, well you can't see anything in the dark outside and when you try to escape through the glass, you are jump scared by a monster and you run back inside the mansion. You are basically forced to investigate this murder scene.

Most of these plot ideas involve poltergeist and moving objects, more plot ideas will come to yours truly - Zen

Trisha Demilion™

Reaction score
Plot Idea: A murder has been reported from a mansion in Yellow Oak Street. You are a cop who is investigating the crime scene, once entering the area. You see 4 cops that are dead across the grass with blood all over them, while it is raining. You enter inside the building as you see blood everywhere with chairs flipped over and find a survivor. He says what he has seen before a door creaks and a monster comes outside of it, and jumps you are blinded as you are in a mysterious room. You are gagged as well, and you must escape before he comes back, and in the main whole game you are trying to escape the mansion running into survivors and poltergeists, and jumpscares.

Plot Idea 2: You are investigating a crime scene in an house that involved a woman being raped and murdered as you enter inside of the building. The chandelier above you begins to shake as a light comes on to see a woman in a white dress with blood all over her face, then the light fades and she walks away into the darkness. You begin to investigate only using your eyes before you pick up a flashlight from the kitchen, when you turn around 2 pans fall to the ground as you are jump scared. Before you pass out and you are kidnapped, you can see where you are being dragged to before you are brought down to a elevator to a torture chamber of some sort. You are tied up and your mission is to get your hands untied and try to investigate this creepy mansion. After trying to try to escape through the door it is locked, and the glass, well you can't see anything in the dark outside and when you try to escape through the glass, you are jump scared by a monster and you run back inside the mansion. You are basically forced to investigate this murder scene.

Most of these plot ideas involve poltergeist and moving objects, more plot ideas will come to yours truly - Zen

Too much blood. It'd remove the immersion unless you do the amount right, but covering the walls in blood, floor in blood, ceiling in - you guessed it, blood, it'd kind of ruin it. So try to spread it more, don't just coat everything in the GLORIOUS BLOOOOD.

Zen

Reaction score
Too much blood. It'd remove the immersion unless you do the amount right, but covering the walls in blood, floor in blood, ceiling in - you guessed it, blood, it'd kind of ruin it. So try to spread it more, don't just coat everything in the GLORIOUS BLOOOOD.
It would not ruin it well, I am sort of getting the plot of Evil Within and changing it up a bit.

Plot Idea Number 3: You are heading to an abandoned asylum to look up files of your brother Grant Aym. You head to the asylum itself and are greeted by 2 detectives that are helping you out (you are a cop) once you enter the asylum first, the doors lock and you cannot leave. You must work your ways through the darkest rooms with faulty electricity to try and find files of your brother, with survivors who still live in this asylum that are crazy.

This plot idea was basically sort of an outlast plot but changed up a bit.

Zen

Reaction score
New Plot Idea: You are sent to a mansion to investigate a 911 call that was received from a women. The call distinctly said "My husband is trying to murder me! Please help! *Static*". Tomorrow after the call, a newspaper column came out of a husband who murdered his wife and 2 children with a cleaver. After that, the police chief orders you to investigate the murder scene to find out what was the plot behind this, the police chief also warned that the electricity is faulty so he gives you a flashlight. You are on your way to the mansion in the middle of the night, you walk inside the mansion to be shown by a chandelier above you with the lights on moving left and right. On the wall to the left it says "You should not have come here" and when you look at the wall directly, the door closes shut and the painting above the door falls to the ground. Lightning hits near the mansion and lights it up a tiny bit, where you can see on the wall "Father, are you home?". You head to the hallway as you look up to your left to see a TV and once you walk past it the flat screen TV says "You should not have come here" as a mans voice said and a image appears with a man in a dress torn up and some blood on it. Then once you look back into the hall way a man stands right in front of you that chokes you and knocks you out basically like this:
0:25
You are knocked out and dragged over to a different room, and the whole plot is to escape from this hell forsaken house as there are ghosts that possess you and poltergeists happening with moving chairs and dressers.

It's basically the plot of silent hill but changed up

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
Im liking your ideas zen, ill share them with maaximus, i just got back from my easter vacation

Commissar Jorkul

WH Server Moderator
Reaction score
This reminds me of the old Condemned games. Very cool idea! And I know multi-player kills part of the scare but...maybe include a mode where one player is the killer, still hiding in wait while the cop investigates? Maybe he's unable to physically touch the cop while he's in the house until a certain event happens, but he's able to set traps and activate them from a "panic room?" idk, just spit balling here. Good luck, I like what I see!

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
This reminds me of the old Condemned games. Very cool idea! And I know multi-player kills part of the scare but...maybe include a mode where one player is the killer, still hiding in wait while the cop investigates? Maybe he's unable to physically touch the cop while he's in the house until a certain event happens, but he's able to set traps and activate them from a "panic room?" idk, just spit balling here. Good luck, I like what I see!

we can probably add that in after we launch it steam as a free update, mostly because we would need the money from the initial sales in order to put up servers or just have it as player hosted off of their own IP

Zen

Reaction score
You should make a game close to Layers Of Fear. That fucking game was amazing

Zen

Reaction score
Best Plot Idea I have received:
You are a reporter investigator, in which an anonymous donor has donated to you to head to Mount Uther. The main door is locked and nobody is around, so you must find a way to get into the mansion/castle itself. Once inside there is a story in here and you need to solve it, you don't fight. You must find the stories of this forsaken asylum.

Setting: The Uther's Asylum

Zen

Reaction score
New Plot Idea:

You are a reporter in need of some kind of truth behind the notorious Mount Usher, in which an asylum that has been out of action for years, has just got in action, a reporter friend of yours has reported that the asylum is destroyed but the asylum itself is still in-tact, after you sent him out to investigate more, you never heard from him again. You drive your car all the way to here to investigate the story of this asylum and what is in here. You must first find a way inside the asylum after, finding a fence that has some of its wires sheared off, you enter inside the asylum, you find an entrance into the asylum itself. In this whole asylum you are greeted by survivors who are murderers, sociopaths and more. You must find the story of this asylum and what exactly happen to it, you must find the truth. Remember this, you do not fight, you are a reporter.

It has sort of an outlast theme into it

Plot Idea Number Two:

You are a cop, you have received a call about some kind of an asylum that has been murdering other patients and etc. You are sent out there to investigate the crime scene, after noticing that the asylum is massive, you must find the truth to this asylum. You enter the asylum before the doors are locked, you head to the security room and look at the cameras for some kind of an explanation for this. Before you witness some kind of a patient, or some thing that turned off the power. You must find your way to solve this crime scene while keeping your wits. After a patient scares you, you pass out, you are in a bathroom where your weapons have been stripped, and the lights are off. You see some kind of camera that has infrared light which means basically, night vision. You must solve this crime scene in this massive asylum with your night vision camera.

Last edited by a moderator:

Osiris Lord Of Memes

Reaction score
You are pitching out more ideas for games then plots atm, but that will help us with development, we might be a horror game studio at this rate

Zen

Reaction score
New Plot Idea:

Alex Mayfield is a worker for the Comfed Organization, that was a massive asylum that worked on sociopaths, murderers, and patients. After working on his first day, he was brain washed and started a new life, as a family man. Before he began to remember things, the patients, the torture from them. He heads over to the massive asylum that seemed nobody was around so he entered in, little does he know that there are patients that still live in here, the fact that Comfed was destroyed from patients breaking free and eating their bodies. But he must find the answers of what they did here.

Zen

Reaction score
To get a true look at horror, some of the games you should check out that are pretty scary that can add a lot of inspiration into your development.

Outlast
Layers Of Fear
Dead Space 2-3
Five Nights at Freddy's
Amnesia (Amnesia is a big one)
Silent Hill
Until Dawn

Those are the major games that have serious horror scares in them, it could rise your game in development of fear