• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Haven't played diablo 3 yet because of bad reviews from old gamers, should i try it?

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I absolutely loved Diablo 2. It was my childhood game, and I have played all the characters with more than one playthrough. The thing is though, when D3 was released, there have been lots of complaints from D2 players, as it strayed away from what D2 made a success. They said it ruined the game franchise for them, and I really didn't want to happen to me. That's why I haven't played it. But maybe, I'm just biased. I don't like change, and a sequel with major changes is an eye sore for me. What do you guys think?

Juno

Reaction score
I avoided D3 for the same reasons.
My college years were cushioned by D2 (with the LOD expansion) and Unreal Tournament.

Me and a group of geeky friends would spend hours playing that game and even more time at college talking about it.
The amount of grinding we did for runes and gems was incredible ans the excitement of getting a decent drop was unbeatable.
We had our group and would keep playing through the harder and harder play throughs.

It did go stale in the end once we had our strategies and good gear/abilities.

I just don't have that group of friends anymore to get into D3.
Can you even do play over LAN on D3?
Can't be doing playing that sort of game with complete strangers

rz3300

Reaction score
Well I know from my own experience that I have enjoyed several games that were not necessarily hits when it comes to the ratings and reviews, and so you never really know until you play it for yourself whether or not you will like it. Especially if it is a game that you know and that you have trusted in the past, I would say that giving it a chance is warranted...you could say that they have earned it for you to give it a chance. I guess it is just a personal choice that you will have to make...but I say go for it.

JoshSucksAtGames

Reaction score
I played a lot of D2 in my teen years and I have to say that I quite enjoy Diablo 3. It's different in a lot of ways, but it still scratches the ARPG itch. Sadly, you pretty much have to buy the Reaper of Souls expansion these days. You miss out on a lot if you don't have it.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I'd say try Path of Exile instead. It's almost exactly like a Diablo game, even has good graphics, but it still has it's own thing that separates it from being a complete Diablo 3 ripoff. Diablo 3's pvp is not my cup of tea, it's quite too overpowered for me, not to mention extremely fast paced. Path of Exile is pretty good, it has a HUGE skill tree where you're pretty much better off making your own builds instead of following someone else's because the tree is so huge. If you're a pvp player however, I might as well mention that the Path of Exile is pretty dead when it comes to PvP.

Midgarosormr

Reaction score
Diablo III has become more grounded and has improved immensely over the last few years, but it wasn't enough to save the game.

It's said that the upcoming DLC of the Necromancer is actually assets salvaged from one, perhaps two other expansions that were in development (there is concept art of the Amazons and their home floating around, too).

I think Blizzard is going to release this pay-for DLC, then skip to Diablo IV.