• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you ever had a hard drive fail?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
Gaming PC's get a ton of use and wear and tear and parts fail. I still remember to this day when I had my first hard drive fail. It was early 2000's and It was a Dell PC with a geforce 3 graphics card. And the hard drive was small and I would buy new games and have to remove old games to install new games. And one day I woke up and turned the PC on and nothing happend.

That was my first experience of computer parts breaking. I took it to the computer store and they said the hard drive failed. I wasn't too happy about it because in those days your game saves saved on the computer. So I lost all my progress in every game that I was playing. :emoji-rage: Have you ever had a hard drive fail?

Pixie06

Reaction score
I had it for about three times and I recently had it with my latest PC. I feel sad because I lost many of the items that I had on my PC and could never recover them. I had about 150 mini games on my first PC and when my hard drive crashed I could no longer recover those games.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I've never had one fail before, guess it's just my luck. But I switch out my hard drives every year or so when I see better ones on the market so that's probably why.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
Yeah, it happened on one of my old laptops, and that's the source of all my concerns about PC gaming. It broke out of nowhere after 3-4 years, it just refused to boot. I did lose some data, but I was young, so no work files or anything.
It did make me more cautious with backups and whatnot, and I always make sure to copy all important files on cloud storage, so there was an upside to it.

DenisHero

Reaction score
No,I have never had a hard drive fail.Got problems with the video card-at some point,the screen was freezing or game were lagging.
Depends on each computer about how resistant are the components.While some hard-drives crash after few years or less,other hard-drives may live long life:).
I wish everyone a healthy computer with no repairs!

kgord

Reaction score
I have but not while playing games. Having a compute hard drive fail is one of the worst things that can happen to you actually. Especially if you have unwisely not decided to back up your information, your game or whatever you were working on. I would suggest doing this always.

mcbryan

Reaction score
I definitely experienced a hard fail. Its the time where in my group mates are working with some projects and thesis. The power keep turn and off and my computer keep playing a weird sound inside my CPU. When the power comes back to normal voltage and I turn on my PC boom! hard drive can't read anymore. All my files including our thesis report were gone and it's like going crazy. That's the time I realize how back up file is important.

fishmonk

Reaction score
I have never had a hard drive failure. My previous laptops usually had good hard drives but the motherboard will fry and overheat at some point in time after 2 years.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I have never had a hard drive failure. My previous laptops usually had good hard drives but the motherboard will fry and overheat at some point in time after 2 years.
Damn, just two years? It looks like an awfully short lifetime for a laptop, even moreso with a motherboard failure involved. Were they new or second-hand? Plus, I know some laptops have overheating issues (mine does), but I didn't think they could go as far as frying unreplaceable components. It really makes me concerned about my own laptop, lol

Inqogn1to

Reaction score
I had a hard drive failure last summer. Sucked because I could not play any of my games for a couple of weeks or so. You just reminded me I should probably upgrade on that department soon.

overcast

Reaction score
I remember my 6 year old PC had drive fail. Mostly due to the fluctuation issues that may happened in my city. And we had many such drive fails. Some even had TV not booting up etc. So there are some of those days when it happened. I managed to run Linux on those drives but it eventually failed for me. So not using it anymore.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Not with the new gen of hard drives. I've never had a problem like that since I bought brand new gaming rig back in 2013 I believe. But before that, back when I was just a student, I had to make due with a crappy second hand PC and it broke a lot. What most those sellers don't say to you is that those PCs are cheap because they only last a few months at a time. After that, parts start breaking and you'll have to either buy another cheap part to replace it, or get a brand new PC altogether. It sucked, but hey, money talks.

kgord

Reaction score
I feel really fortunate that I have backup devices now, because if my laptop were to fail now, I would be very unhappy. I can even use my Kindle as laptop in a pinch so besides my two back up laptops I have that. The one I am on now is my favorite, but it has battery issues. It will likely fail as some point.

thart

Reaction score
I had a drive go wonky on me a few years ago, back before i started taking regular backups. Luckily i was able to save my files, but I've been backing things up ever since.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I've had it happen only once in all these years so I am pretty happy. I still remember it though. It was around 10 years ago or more and the hard drive just completely died out... I also took it to the store because it was still under warranty and they said that they can't recover anything. I was so MAD. Since I am dumb, I never saved any of the files, games, or school work onto an external disk or USB key. I lost a huge amount of data... still up to this day, I get annoyed when I think about it. At least it taught me the lessons of making backup copies once a week :)

konomi

Reaction score
I've had a few hard drives die over the years, and it's SO upsetting every single time. Nowadays I backup larger files to external hard drives, and I keep all my important text files synced to Dropbox. It sucks losing all my music, videos, etc., but the truly irreplaceable things are usually things like text files, cause they're things I've written myself. (Nothing too exciting -- just a daily to do list, a spreadsheet keeping track of how much I've exercised, etc. Things that aren't super important, but are impossible to replace).

Lately I've been worried about losing my Steam game saves. It seems like you can't just easily back them up all at once?? Do you have to go into each game and copy/back them up separately? That seems like a pain :persevere:

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
It wasn't exactly a hard drive fail - I think, maybe it was, but some time ago my old PC suddenly didn't want to turn on. It showed the Windows logo screen, and then shut up.
After some help and researches, we discovered that the Windows folder (literally C./Windows) was completely gone. That was just it. I have no idea what happened or why, might be a virus or might be who know what...