• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Have you ever bought old consoles years after release?

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I'm a huge retrogaming fan, so emulators have been my best friends for basically forever, but obviously that's not the same thing as playing on the real thing. Plus, snagging old relics for good prices is such a nice feeling to get, and playing on the original device makes you feel more motivated to play than using a program with thousands of ROMs just at your fingertips. And, after all, they do have their own appeal (just look at how quickly the NES and SNES Mini went sold out).

So, have you ever decided to buy an old, used console even after a decade from its release?

Gladdy

Reaction score
No, I have been using emulators just like you. I currently have two different ones on my computer - one for NES and one for SNES. Both have literally every ROM ever released so it's really amazing. Plus they work like a charm - it's easy to set your keyboard or the gamepad to fit the controls.

I did consider buying a real old console but the main reason that I haven't is because the only way to do it, is by buying the used one. I can't say that I'd trust a random stranger on selling me a working SNES. He can say that it works and then when I plug it in, it would crash after ten minutes. I just feel like it's risky unless it would be brand new.

valy

Reaction score
To be honest, I gave up on consoles, and I prefer to play online games on my PC using the keyboard or my mouse. It is much easier for me and to answer you, I don't buy the old consoles years after it was released.

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
For really old console that are hard to find, no, I'm too one of those who uses emulator.
But other consoles... yes, I had my first PS1 when the PS2 came out, and I had the PS2 when its life was almost over and the PS3 was just around the corner.
After that, no more consoles for me.

WarVet

Reaction score
For really old console that are hard to find, no, I'm too one of those who uses emulator.
But other consoles... yes, I had my first PS1 when the PS2 came out, and I had the PS2 when its life was almost over and the PS3 was just around the corner.
I had the same experience with my PS3. There are many advantadges to waiting out. Lower prices, better knowledge about which games are good ans which aren't, better knowledge about console issues and so on.

konomi

Reaction score
I don't have it anymore, but I bought a SNES long after it was released, but I never really played it that much. I can appreciate the aesthetic of owning old consoles and having them displayed nicely, but I think that as far as playing goes, emulators are way more convenient. Plus, old games can be really expensive!

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
I haven't done that yet. I bought consoles years after they've been released just because I know I could get the gane cheaper that way. But buying old platform like SNES or NES not yet. Given a chance to buy one, I will definitely get one. It would definitely bring memories back....

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I wanted to do the same thing with a PS3, but I ultimately gave up for a reason or another. I still have it floating in my mind, though, I missed out on so many of their exclusives. It's easy to find them used for about 100~$ with a couple of games around, but I'm still waiting on the perfect deal for that.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
We bought an Xbox 360 way long after its actual release date. I do not mind if we do not have the Xbox One since I researched that there are a lot of fun local multiplayer games on Xbox 360 such as Minecraft and Castle Crashers. It was worth the because of the availability of different games.

WarVet

Reaction score
While I have never done it I will most likely do it with the PS4 or even PS5 haha. Nowadays Im just not that much into spending money on games since other priorities have taken place. If it takes too long we can always download an emulator too hahah

Fuzyon

Reaction score
Except for the first Nintendo console I haven't bought old consoles. I bought the PS1 and PS2 in the year they were released and from then on I got into PC gaming and started building PCs on my own. It's not the worst idea to buy consoles years after if you think you can still enjoy yourself.