• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

GoG

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
There are a lot of topics about Steam, but not a single one about GoG (formerly known as Good old Games).
This site is fantastic: it started out as a store to buy really old games, like you can imagine from the name, and all of them were (and still are) compatible with the most recent Windows system, without the need for complexes shenanigans.
Now it became a proper online store with even recent releases, and the best part is that all of their games are DRM-free. You just need to download the game installer, and you can play when you want, where you want, without being connected to Internet. And a lot of game have also free extra and goodies like wallpaper, manuals, etc...
I don't have as many games as Steam on this one (btw some Steam games can be activated on GoG too, with Connect) but it's my second favorite source where to buy games!

Do you use it? Do you like it?

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
I think that there is no hype about GOG because so many people have games on Steam. And a lot of people including myself want to keep all our games with Steam. I mean it's bad enough that I have to use Origin little alone another third part launcher. If I could I would have every game I own on Steam.

valy

Reaction score
I never used GOG, and I don't think I have ever heard of it. I do have a STEAM account and a lot of games that I have bought from there. I am satisfied by Steam because I know it's safe and I won't buy a game with viruses. The prices differ on GOG from Steam? I mean games are cheaper there?

fishmonk

Reaction score
I never used GOG because I am more familiar to Steam due to recommendations from friends. I am satisfied with Steam so far and feel that it's tedious to get games from multiple platforms.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I think that there is no hype about GOG because so many people have games on Steam. And a lot of people including myself want to keep all our games with Steam. I mean it's bad enough that I have to use Origin little alone another third part launcher. If I could I would have every game I own on Steam.
Those are my exact thoughts! I have heard about GoG but I didn't use it personally. I just don't see why when we already have such a gaming platform that covers EVERYTHING - Steam. Let's face it, beating Steam is almost impossible at this point because they already have acquired such a large portion of the market and users. Sure, GoG might be a good alternative but sadly it won't be as popular till Steam is around.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
I really like the website's concept. The bad thing about some companies is that they keep pushing their own launchers (Origin, Uplay, etc) to play their games, so you end up installing 3-4 of them just to play a couple of games. Steam is good enough and it actually provides useful features, so I still prefer it over DRM-free games, but not being forced to download other software is nice. Well, they have released GoG Galaxy, but I believe you can uninstall it after installing the games, right...?

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I really like the website's concept. The bad thing about some companies is that they keep pushing their own launchers (Origin, Uplay, etc) to play their games, so you end up installing 3-4 of them just to play a couple of games. Steam is good enough and it actually provides useful features, so I still prefer it over DRM-free games, but not being forced to download other software is nice. Well, they have released GoG Galaxy, but I believe you can uninstall it after installing the games, right...?

GoG Galaxy is completely optional, you can still download the games from their site without having to install it. Personally I have tried it, and while the download are a bit faster I don't want another client installed on my PC... it would be just too confusing, with Steam, Uplay, Origin... I'll keep the DRM free games.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
GoG Galaxy is completely optional, you can still download the games from their site without having to install it. Personally I have tried it, and while the download are a bit faster I don't want another client installed on my PC... it would be just too confusing, with Steam, Uplay, Origin... I'll keep the DRM free games.
Yeah, me too. The great thing about Steam is that you can add external titles to the library and access them from it, retaining access to features like Steam Overlay (pretty useful to look stuff online without alt-tabbing your way out, in case the game doesn't handle it well). I do it mostly to keep all games in a single, neat list though.

Tania997

Reaction score
I'm hearing about it for the first time, I used to think only steam and origins were there. I don't think I'll ever use it because of the features steam offers you, and I like keeping all of my games in one place. Already hate origin for not allowing me to do this, I wouldn't really care about a third client.

Haristar

Reaction score
GOG is something new to me and I have never heard of it. I play games in steam and may be I will give a try to this. Steam is so far excellent in fulfilling my online gaming experience but there is nothing wrong in trying something new. Thanks for sharing. :)