• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Generic Keyboards or Mechanical Keyboards

kenoobie

Reaction score
As stated in the title? are you still using generic keyboards or prefer Mechanical keyboards and cannot live without it. Ever since I used a mechanical Keyboard I never went back. There is something oddly satisfying with hearing loud clicks whenever you tap a key.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
Just generic stuff for me. I think the mouse > keyboard. A bad mouse will ruin your gaming experience, while keyboards are all the same in my opinion regardless of brand of quality. The only difference with these keyboards is that they would degrade at a different rate depending on quality and price; but even then, the generic cheap ones can still last a few years before you have to change them.

TheArticulate

Reaction score
I'm in a similar boat at OursIstheFury. I find I invest a little more money in a good mouse than I do a keyboard. I have a pretty generic keyboard, but I wouldn't be opposed to someday getting a mechanical keyboard. I worked in the gaming department at Best Buy for the good part of a year, so I became pretty well acquainted with the mechanical keyboards they carried, all of which were really nice! I'm not huge about the whole "click-clacky" sound some Razer keyboards give off, but Logitech makes some that are quiet. I have friend who plays online with me, and it's ridiculous how loud his keyboard is when he types. I can hear it through his microphone, which gets distracting at times.

SpitfireMase

Reaction score
The tactile feel of a Mechanical Keyboard is the best, and you can have that feeling without the excessive clicky-ness if you buy some O-rings to accompany the keyboard. I don't have a problem with membrane keyboards, I'm using one now, but I prefer mechanical ones.

Mechanical keyboards do tend to be picked up on mic if you don't have o-rings, so I wouldn't join any games with an open mic with an excessively loud keyboard.

NotCasual

Reaction score
I had been using a free HP keyboard for a while when I found out about mechanical keyboards, so I checked them out and fell in love with the clicky sound of the blue switches... It was like a drug to me, and I didn't even have the keyboard yet. So, I ordered it, plugged it in, and... Well, it was way too loud. I could imagine if I had friends over they'd get very pissed over the noise. It's not a problem when you're wearing headphones or even earphones, but when you take them off it's definitely quite loud. Wish I got the red switches.

The feedback of the keys (the main selling point) is quite nice, and I expected an immense difference. However, when I went back to my old HP keyboard it actually didn't feel as bad as I thought it would after going mechanical.
Although this keyboard does remain a questionable purchase, I ultimately do 'need' it for my competitive gaming needs.

Denis_P

Reaction score
At the moment I have a generic keyboard - - about as generic as it gets since it's my laptop keyboard, not even an external one. I do have a fairly good mouse though, a Logitech G700s. I can't imagine going back to using a regular old mouse anymore.

However, my cousin recently got a really expensive mechanical keyboard from Razer and I have to say that I am a little bit envious. The sound it makes when typing is so satisfying, it feels really great to type compared to a regular keyboard as well, and not to mention the really cool LED lighting. I feel like I'm probably going to have to get one soon.

MLF

Reaction score
Big fan of mechanical keyboards myself. My current is a basic Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. Believe I picked it up off of Amazon for like $60 last year.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
It's just generic keyboards for me, I tend to put my money on the mouse and games instead. But I wouldn't mind having a mechanical keyboard, my friend has one and it felt amazing using them, very comfortable. I wouldn't buy it unless I had a lot fo extra money though, I get what I need using the generic keyboard anyways so I don't think I'll ever need a mechanical one unless it gives me special powers lmao.

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I could never stand a mechanical keyboard. Any generic keyboard will do just fine for me. Well any, as long as they don't have those extra buttons on the left side such as calculator and that junk. I like my ctrl to be the last button on bottom left part of the keyboard :)

astroroid10293

Reaction score
I do agree with a lot of people, that the clicking sound of the mechanical keyboard is very satisfying, but I think that a generic keyboard would be enough for me. I'd spend more money towards a good mouse and some better games rather than the keyboard. The mouse is important towards your gameplay experience, which is why I'd prefer to use a generic keyboard.

But, if I did have some extra cash, I'd get myself a mechanical keyboard for sure. :wink:

MLF

Reaction score
What's funny is back in the day, mechanical keyboards WERE the generic keyboards. My very first PCs all had old IBM mechs. It was until PCs became really mass produced and you got today's cheap and flimsy boards that the mechs became niche.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I just use one of the Logitech's generic keyboards. It isn't a bad one though. I have been using it for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. You guys mentioned how good it sounds when typing on a mechanical keyboard - my keyboard sort of makes the same typing noise. I don't know why but it does :) and I agree that it is satisfying.

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard before because the ones that we have here are really expensive - probably ten times the price of the generic ones.

Neiltarquin

Reaction score
Generic keyboard for me because its practical. A good brand of a mouse is better.

nickdamon

Reaction score
I tried my first mechanical keyboard at Best Buy. From then on, I really realllllly wanted one. Finally I treated myself to a nice cherry mx brown tkl led keyboard and I love it so much. Paired with a Logitech G600 mouse... everything looks and feels really good. I'm more than happy with my mechanical keyboard. It feels awesome, the sound is minimal, and it's overall a very satisfying piece of hardware to use. I don't think I want to go back to a regular keyboard after using one.

SashaS

Reaction score
I'd say if you have the money, you might as well. Even more mainstream mechanical keyboards like Razer's offerings provide a lot more functionality and comfort while also being very aesthetically pleasing. That is if you're into the loud, angular design language that gaming peripherals usually follow these days. I prefer the more minimal design of Apple and Microsoft's keyboards, but they're not nearly as fast or comfortable, that I admit. The satisfying "click" you get from a mechanical keyboard, paired with the massive list of aftermarket parts and customizability in general is a big selling point. It really comes down to what you plan on using the keyboard for and your budget. A simple $10 HP keyboard will suffice for your low budget gamer, but give him a $300 Ducky Shine or something and he will realize what he's been missing out on.

castills

Reaction score
I just use one of the Logitech's generic keyboards. It isn't a bad one though. I have been using it for a couple of years now and I absolutely love it. You guys mentioned how good it sounds when typing on a mechanical keyboard - my keyboard sort of makes the same typing noise. I don't know why but it does :) and I agree that it is satisfying.

I have never owned a mechanical keyboard before because the ones that we have here are really expensive - probably ten times the price of the generic ones.

Same, I'm just a simple cheap gamer. I have a Logitech mouse and keyboard that use the same USB dongle-all I need to game and work. I invest my money in the games themselves.

I don't notice the sound when trying to cap the objective in games, but no complaints. I'd say the Backspace button gives the most satisfying sound to me.

m33kuh

Reaction score
Definitely mech for me, since we are in a gaming forum and talking about games. I tried to use generic keyboard before and it was fine at first, but depending on the game that you are playing, it will surely matter. The response time for me is a huge factor. I understand those who say that they can play with generics but I suggest you guys try mechanical keyboard and see the difference. But if you only play minecraft and some go kart then I guess?

There is a saying, "once you go mech, you can't come beck". :D

Makef0rt

Reaction score
I do agree with a lot of people, that the clicking sound of the mechanical keyboard is very satisfying, but I think that a generic keyboard would be enough for me. I'd spend more money towards a good mouse and some better games rather than the keyboard. The mouse is important towards your gameplay experience, which is why I'd prefer to use a generic keyboard.

But, if I did have some extra cash, I'd get myself a mechanical keyboard for sure. :wink:

Actually, to me, the sound is annoying like hell. When I used to play daily with my friends over TS, 2 of them had mechanical keyboards. Jeez, the thing was louder than the dude talking over the headset at times.

dero56

Reaction score
For the best feel and sound, blue switch mechanical keyboards are the best but they come at a price being 10x more than a generic keyboard. Both get the job done but if you have the extra cash and game a lot with your keyboard, investing in a quality mechanical keyboards is worth it to improve your gaming experience.

m33kuh

Reaction score
For the best feel and sound, blue switch mechanical keyboards are the best but they come at a price being 10x more than a generic keyboard. Both get the job done but if you have the extra cash and game a lot with your keyboard, investing in a quality mechanical keyboards is worth it to improve your gaming experience.
Are you talking about cherry mx switches?