• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Gaming Screen Resolution

Hidden308

Reaction score
What screen resolution do you game at?

I play at 1650x1050. Pretty good resolution for great graphics.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
With flat panels you really only have one true resolution as the rest are emulated. It's best to set it at "native resolution". So saying I am stuck right now with 1366x768 until I get a new screen. I run two displays but only one flat panel, which is what I use for gaming, and keep system monitors for temperature and stuff on the secondary one.[DOUBLEPOST=1350845318,1349025848][/DOUBLEPOST]I got a new one, and it's native resolution is 1680x1050. Also got a new video card to run it, a GeForce 550 ti. Works great but that's the resolution I am at for now.

tehtros

Reaction score
I also am stuck on a laptop with 1366x768 until I can afford the desktop I'm trying to get. However, I like playing in windowed mode, so I often end up re-sizing the window to 1300x600. It provides a nice widescreen experience!

jayjacinto

Reaction score
I dont really know why, but I became comfortable with 1280. I just feel uneasy with any other res.

NecroWolf

Reaction score
HDMI supports all kinds of resolutions, though I was researching and it seems if you try to set it to something other than your native resolution (e.g. whatever your TV/monitor is) it likes to give you problems.

dagscot

Reaction score
I'm on 1366x768 which is fine for watching Netflix but it's not really that great for gaming. I'm saving up for a new laptop with at least an i5 processor and hopefully discrete graphics so I can play games at high resolution with a decent frame rate.

Nemanja

Reaction score
Best resolution would be either 1920x1080 or 2560x1440 for bigger monitors. However, as many other, I play on my laptop (15 inches) as well, so my resolution is 1366x768. For performance, even though i have i7 octa-core with a decent graphic card, i have to lower the resolution to 1280x768. It's very displeasing, as bigger resolution is generally much better.

Conclusion: 24 inch monitor with 2560x1440 resolution working at 144Hz.

Womack

Reaction score
i7 octa-core
Lol why do you need so many CPUs? You can get a hyper threaded quad core (so it has 8 logical processors) that runs 60-70% faster for a third of the price of the cheapest Intel octa-core.

I prefer gaming on 1080p because the market is so saturated with that resolution that you can get nice 21.5 inch or 24 inch monitors for around $100. My gpu can easily run at 1440p at 144hz(fps) but i just don't feel then need to drop $400 on a fancy monitor.

Nemanja

Reaction score
When i was looking to purchase, i wanted the most powerful CPU possible. This one was on sale for 30% so i got it instead of the one i originally wanted to. So far, i am not disappointed. It compiled programs in <2 seconds. :)

overcast

Reaction score
I have 15.6'' screen resolution with 1366x760px. It is not the highest one for my laptop but it's all that can be extended. I have an option to make it bigger or smaller. But this one seems to be optimized with Intel true colors. So it seems to be properly tweaked. I guess for games it can be proper resolution for sure.

Gladdy

Reaction score
I play my games at 1920 x 1080. I always use this resolution, even when I'm out of games for general computer use. I honestly think that majority use the same one since I assume we all switched up our computers (unless you are still playing on a bit older ones or a laptop).

The only time that I do decrease the resolution is if I'm playing a very graphics and CPU demanding game that my computer might have problems handling. Then I turn resolution to something smaller like 1680x1050 or sometimes even 1440 x 900. That doesn't happen too often though, thank god.

ShoryukenPizza

Reaction score
I play my games at 1920 x 1080. I always use this resolution, even when I'm out of games for general computer use. I honestly think that majority use the same one since I assume we all switched up our computers (unless you are still playing on a bit older ones or a laptop).

The only time that I do decrease the resolution is if I'm playing a very graphics and CPU demanding game that my computer might have problems handling. Then I turn resolution to something smaller like 1680x1050 or sometimes even 1440 x 900. That doesn't happen too often though, thank god.

I typically play games at 1920x1080 too! My laptop can barely handle it for King of the Kill, which I run at 1024x768. I've read that 1024x768 is the god resolution for gaming anyway so I suggest everyone go back to the old-school 1024x768! KOTK is very CPU intensive and the developers really try to market the game without any optimization so players have to rely on modifying graphic settings from their KOTK folder. Very sad.

Other than KOTK though, League and Guild Wars 2 all runs at 1920x1080. Sometimes I get a hiccup or two, but overall the quality and performance is decent.

Ipa07

Reaction score
I play on 1920x1080 on 60fps. I am thinking about buying 4k monitor but I'm not sure if it's worth it because 4k is still evolving. I'm satisfied with my gaming rig and monitor for now.

AWPEK

Reaction score
I play with the screen resolution of 1158x1050 (Counter-Strike Global Offensive), but my maximum screen resolution is 1600x900. I use 1600x900 for other games, but Counter-Strike Global Offensive is a different story since low resolution increases the fps and also it makes it easier to aim at the enemy. I do want to go higher and get a monitor that can display a screen resolution 1900x1080 which is usually a 4k graphic kind.

timstargraal

Reaction score
Though I never play at a fullscreen resolution as my PC isn't very good and will receive pretty low FPS if I play one fullscreen. Yes, I only have a AMD FX 4100 and a GeForce 650 which will only run low-end games such as Counter Strike:Global Offensive at around 80fps at fullscreen so I play windowed on a 16:9 widescreen ratio and usually 1440x810 resolution as I get to see a wide-range of my screen and it runs CS:GO at around 110fps though when smokes and Molotovs go off, the fps drops to around 50-60 which is pretty bad. And that is why I only play on a windowed, pretty small resolution for low-end games like CS:GO which aren't too demanding.

EDIT: I usually play with everything on high.

Linen

Reaction score
I usually play games at 1920x1080 (1080p) across the board, both console and PC, if I'm running them full-screen. (I own an Elgato HD 60 Pro and usually play my console games using my computer as the screen, I'm not usually playing games where I have to worry about frame perfection on console.)

Luckily I'm not in a situation where I have to care about graphics too much, but for games like MMORPGs (or that otherwise have enough of a multiplayer component to matter), I'll turn unnecessary settings down at least a little bit for the sake of performance.

There's a few games that I run in windowed mode, though. These resolutions depend on the game, but they're also not games where the graphics were worth phoning home about anyway (I'd rather not look at stretched-out sprites, for example).

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
I always go for the max settings since my PC can definitely handle them. The only time I had to make my screen smaller is when playing older games, which have smaller requirements and lower graphics. But I think as long as the game is smooth and you can see everything fine, I don't see the big deal in the resolution. I think the bigger issue is deciding whether you play on windowed mode or full screen, since it decides whether your game will run at its highest potential or you will have to spare some power so you can alt+tab for your internet needs.

Empire

Reaction score
At the moment I'm using an 51inch TV till I can afford and good 4k monitor. Well might not get an 4K as my GPU won't take that king of heat.

It's around 2550x1600 something lol