• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Games played via keyboard

pandaa

Reaction score
What are your feelings about games played with keyboard keys, like QWOP? Most of the time, you'll find them in online arcades and such. Do you think they can be a little hard to master sometimes? Personally, I'd much rather prefer a controller.

iXanon

Reaction score
Same. I've never been much of a PC gamer, even with a rig that is more than capable..

Give me a controller any day.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
I'v always rather'd a controller in the past. However, as the years past I find myself doing more PC gaming then anything. I spend most of my time on a PC so why not :p

thepostman

Reaction score
For me it just depends on the game. Some games work better with a keyboard and some with a controller. I don't think I have a preference to one or the other. But, for those that do hate the keyboard for games, you can use a program like xpadder to configure your controller to emulate keyboard presses.

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
For me it just depends on the game. Some games work better with a keyboard and some with a controller. I don't think I have a preference to one or the other. But, for those that do hate the keyboard for games, you can use a program like xpadder to configure your controller to emulate keyboard presses.

Ya that's what I do with some games. Most my PC games I play with the keyboard but a select few games like my GTA4 game I would hook up the ps3 controller to play on. Much easier to drive with :p

James

Reaction score
I have a difficult time using my keyboard to play games, so I use a controller. Usually when I ask if a game can be played with a controller I'm told to play with a keyboard because that's how it's supposed to be played.

I've never heard of xpadder before, but I'll be sure to check that out. Does it work with all games?

Sino989

Reaction score
I think that those are games are pretty cool actually. They are also now allowing people to use keyboard and mice on consoles, next gen consoles that is, but I think that's pretty neat they're doing that.

camshaq23

Reaction score
It's not fun using the keyboard to play video games like NFS Most Wanted and other NFS sequels. I much prefer to use a controller than a keyboard. A lot of time the keyboard is not adequate enough to play certain games like FIFA. People still use the keyboard to play FIFA which has me wondering how they hell they do it.

Corzhens

Reaction score
It's difficult to play with the keyboard. Aside from not being adept with the keys, the reaction of the computer seems to be slow unlike when using a controller. Even in the olden days, it is the joystick that is king when it comes to computer games. So maybe if this is a survey, I guess the hands down winner will be the controller. I just don't know if there are games that exclusively use the keyboard and not the controller.

Jonathan Solomon

Reaction score
QWOP!! Boy that was an old memory. Haven't heard anyone mention that game in over 7 years. Back to the question at hand...

When it comes to racing games like Need For Speed Most Wanted 2005, I don't mind using the keyboard. Mainly because the response times seem pretty fast and accurate. I will say playing games like Fifa and Tony Hawks Pro Skater are nearly impossible on the keyboard. For games like this, a USB controller is required.

On the opposite end of the scale, playing first person shooters like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is IMPOSSIBLE with a controller. Majority CS:GO players use their keyboard and mouse. So instantly when you plug in a USB controller, you can feel the delay time and inaccuracy really takes hold.

On a side note, I never liked the joystick growing up. My mother bought me one when I was a child, I never quite figured out how to use it. The games I wanted to use the joystick, weren't compatible (and vice versa). Within a few weeks of buying one, I sold it off to a friend.

So my opinion is, when it comes to PC games (keyboard vs controller), it depends on that particular game you are looking to play. I suggest having both available to cover your gaming needs.

Hux

Head Forum Admin
Reaction score
I would rather use my mouse and keyboard for any games other than racing, that's when I'd use a controller. Anywhere I'd have to use a vehicle, I'll make sure I use my controller.

BeardedMamba

Reaction score
It depends on the game, I prefer to play sports games with my controller, but I also don't have a problem using my keyboard. For strategy games like DOTA 2, League of Legends, I don't think I can play them with a controller. So keyboard all the way, even with arcade games, I got used to playing with keyboard, so it's not difficult for me.

Chinatown88

Reaction score
If its a game like Dota I'm more than fine with using a keyboard. FPS I got used to using a mouse and keyboard. Otherwise I prefer using a controller.

arachnophobik

Reaction score
I've played the official Attack on Titan game on keyboard (it doesn't allow mouse controls and I didn't have a gamepad) and I thought it was alright. It was definitely very hard for me at first, but I may have gotten used to it after a while since I started to enjoy it so much. I think it really depends on the game you're playing and how fluid the controls are, I was lucky enough that the game I was playing had great controls, but if it was a fighting game like Street Fighter 2, I might've had some trouble executing combos.

Pixie06

Reaction score
I used to play games like Need For Speed, Age of Empires and the Sims on the PC. For Need for Speed I had to use the keyboard and I didn't mind it. At that point I was playing more PC games. However since I got my first PlayStation I stopped playing PC games. I like the PlayStation better. I have been playing on the PlayStation for so many years now. I am more used to it I guess.

thart

Reaction score
Play with whatever you most feel comfortable with. If you like playing on a keyboard, play on a keyboard. You can get good, get consistent with any controller with practice.

Dunn

Reaction score
I play a lot of games with keyboard for example Grand theft auto,Need For Speed,Call of duty and More...

WarVet

Reaction score
I come from a generation that keyboard is all we had. So aye it might be difficult to master at first but nothing impossible. I tried to switch to keyboard once but it didn't quite go well. Lots of configurations to set up and everything.

WildSpirit

Reaction score
Oh, no keyboard games are not my kind of thing! :tongueclosed: I even tried to play and like them but I they are so annoying! :sweat: I haven't played any keyboard game for years (and I think I'm going to continue like this :smirk:).