• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Fallout 3 player beats the game in less than 15 minutes

Jordan

Founder
Senior Admin
Reaction score
A speedrunner has broken the 15-minute threshold for completing the main story of Fallout 3. You can watch the whole thing below.

Xante

Reaction score
Fall out isn't my favorite game serie but damn 15 minutes, i'm sure i can't beat that.

Belovedad

Reaction score
Wow... Is that even possible. If I could do that I would haha. But that's a lot of missed content.

cortana

Reaction score
I just can't believe how long it takes to make a game and a speedrunner crushes it in 15 minutes! That's like how long it takes to beat those old Nintendo games.

You can run through Contra in 7 minutes!! Back in the day it took forever until we found the 30 lives code!!!

thefratman

Reaction score
I always find it hilarious how speedruns break in-game logic.

"I'm going to go to the final area of the game without doing anything else and the plot will magically skip there despite having left the Vault less than 10 minutes ago."

lunarsilkdragon

Reaction score
I really don't get this speedrunning thing in games like this. What's the fun in glitching through an RPG like this? I can understand beating a game like Super Mario really fast by just being really good at it, but this? No.

SunnysideUP

Reaction score
That's...impressive. Honestly, personally I'd be so distracted with all the possibilities the game offers that I'd ruin my speed run 5 minutes in the game. Attention deficit, plus endless possibilities equals endless gameplay.

"I'm going to go to the final area of the game without doing anything else and the plot will magically skip there despite having left the Vault less than 10 minutes ago."

Yeah that's a bit of a buzzkill for me, escpecially because I tend to roam the maps from the get go. So when the game engine allows me as a player to omit huge parts of the game just because I didn't follow the narrative, it ruins half the game for me. I prefer it when they put "conditions" to be met in order to advance or trigger storyline events, or even let me go into that particular area.

It feels like kind of a shame though, to speed run through a game that is meant to be savored. That would make more sense in a platform game.

Gladdy

Reaction score
Damn! Now that's fast.. bit too fast for me, haha.

I tend to play games like Fallout (tons of side quests and fun things to do / explore) extremely slowly.. I like to take my time to enjoy it and from reading these posts you all seem to agree :) I am definitely impressed though but ye, it's a shame missing half the game.

You made me wanna re-play it btw!

Xilkozuf

Reaction score
I don't really understand speedrunning. It kind of ruins a game... I know, it's a challenge and to do it properly you have to be good at the game and know every single aspect of it. I just don't find it funny... Yes, it might be impressive, and speedrunners deserve respect for the amount of works they put in (those 15 minutes require a lot of preparation I suppose) but it's not for me.
But maybe that's just the slow gamer in me talking!

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
I don't really understand speedrunning. It kind of ruins a game... I know, it's a challenge and to do it properly you have to be good at the game and know every single aspect of it. I just don't find it funny... Yes, it might be impressive, and speedrunners deserve respect for the amount of works they put in (those 15 minutes require a lot of preparation I suppose) but it's not for me.
But maybe that's just the slow gamer in me talking!

It doesn't mean you're a slow gamer but there is just a lot of things that you will miss when you go for a speedrun. Of course you can only ever do a speedrun when you have finished the game since going for that requires you to have at least muscle memory of where to go and what to do, as fast as 15 minutes.
If you'd ask me, I'd never do speedruns too even if it might be my 2nd playthrough of the game. By going for the speedrun, you are agreeing to skip on the experience for the game. I find a game only fun if you play it at your own phase and feeling the game fully. In that way when you finish the game, you could say that you are content for what you have achieve. I believe each game is an art, and art should be appreciated.

PenguinManiac

Reaction score
It doesn't mean you're a slow gamer but there is just a lot of things that you will miss when you go for a speedrun. Of course you can only ever do a speedrun when you have finished the game since going for that requires you to have at least muscle memory of where to go and what to do, as fast as 15 minutes.
If you'd ask me, I'd never do speedruns too even if it might be my 2nd playthrough of the game. By going for the speedrun, you are agreeing to skip on the experience for the game. I find a game only fun if you play it at your own phase and feeling the game fully. In that way when you finish the game, you could say that you are content for what you have achieve. I believe each game is an art, and art should be appreciated.

I somewhat disagree. I also play games for the experience, and rushing through them in normal circumstances takes away a lot of the fun: after all, videogames are not chores.
However, speedrunners have most likely played the game hundreds of time. They have turned it inside out to find the most time-efficient paths, glitches, shortcuts and basically every other thing that can make a run shorter. To gain the patience to do this, you really have to love that game. No one without a burning passion for that game could ever possibly manage to stand playing it in such a mind-wrecking way: and to develop such a passion, you must have surely enjoyed it to the fullest. You have to know a game thoroughly to make speedruns for it, and exploiting it, seeing it under a new light and watching it behave in ways you had never even conceived before is entertaining to both speedrunners and spectators.

Linen

Reaction score
I don't love speedruns, and I honestly don't find many of them incredibly entertaining enough to watch in full. However, I've always found ways that players can "break" or otherwise exploit a game fairly amusing and entertaining to some degree (provided we're not talking "hacker uses stuff to beat legitimate players in multiplayer" or the like). Perhaps it's that appeal that speedrunners or their viewers enjoy.

Ultimately, if this is how they choose to consume or enjoy their content, then who am I to really judge? I'm the sort of person who'll try to scour as much content as they can on their first playthrough of a game, because that's what I prefer and enjoy - but gaming, in general, is a personal experience and everyone finds different things entertaining or funny.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
It's amazing what people do just to save time. I saw this Diablo 1 speedrun (6 minutes I think) and all he did was go down one level into another. The moment he entered the new area, the path to the next area was there again, so he just walked around for a few minutes. Obviously he saved a bit to increase the chance of the paths lining up, but hey, he defeated Diablo at an insane level due to mana shield and I gotta say that's impressive. Gotta wonder though how long it took him to perfect that style.

LydiaHilda

Reaction score
That's...impressive. Honestly, personally I'd be so distracted with all the possibilities the game offers that I'd ruin my speed run 5 minutes in the game. Attention deficit, plus endless possibilities equals endless gameplay.

Yeah that's a bit of a buzzkill for me, escpecially because I tend to roam the maps from the get go. So when the game engine allows me as a player to omit huge parts of the game just because I didn't follow the narrative, it ruins half the game for me. I prefer it when they put "conditions" to be met in order to advance or trigger storyline events, or even let me go into that particular area.

It feels like kind of a shame though, to speed run through a game that is meant to be savored. That would make more sense in a platform game.

Definitely. Games are so much more than just completing them at top speed. The story for me is one of the main draws of a game, after gameplay itself. Sometimes you can get as attached to game characters as you would to characters in a book or a movie! Obviously, speedruns can be fun for some people, but I'd definitely want to go through a whole game at least once or twice before I'd even think about trying a speed run.

CBL28

Reaction score
I don't love speedruns, and I honestly don't find many of them incredibly entertaining enough to watch in full. However, I've always found ways that players can "break" or otherwise exploit a game fairly amusing and entertaining to some degree (provided we're not talking "hacker uses stuff to beat legitimate players in multiplayer" or the like). Perhaps it's that appeal that speedrunners or their viewers enjoy.

Ultimately, if this is how they choose to consume or enjoy their content, then who am I to really judge? I'm the sort of person who'll try to scour as much content as they can on their first playthrough of a game, because that's what I prefer and enjoy - but gaming, in general, is a personal experience and everyone finds different things entertaining or funny.
When a person speedruns, it's usually because they've exhausted all the options a game has to offer. They finished the game and have nothing else to do, so they speedrun to add a little flavor to a classic game.

OursIsTheFury

Reaction score
When a person speedruns, it's usually because they've exhausted all the options a game has to offer. They finished the game and have nothing else to do, so they speedrun to add a little flavor to a classic game.
And speedruns are meant to exploit weaknesses on the game design. Can't fault them for using glitches or doing something that the game doesn't expect, since you still technically finish the game at the time given. It doesn't matter how you do it, it's crossing the finish line that counts. I'm currently thinking about doing a speedrun on Ori and the Blind Forest (there's an achievement if you finish the game in 3 hours) since the game itself is at least 10-15 hours of average game time.

TsuyoyRival

Reaction score
I personally don't find exciting to watch speedruns. Yes, if you trying to get to the Guinness Records, that's a huge achievement, other than that, I find it is a waste of time. Food for thought, I think that people who exploit games like this are incredibly persistent and worth to place those achievements on a resumé since employers are interested in perseverant people, but if you can't actually do the speedrun and waste time, it must be devastating. Anyways, jokes aside, congrats to the Fallout player :D

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
That's just insanity! I know people love speed runs, but I have never tried it because it would kill the game for me. And matter of fact I have never watched a speed run. When I play video games I like to relax and play. I don't want to be racing against a clock.

P.S. Fallout 3 was one of the greats games that I have ever played. I put over 300+hrs into it on Xbox along and I played and beat it on my PC and Playstation. If I had to guess I would say I have between 500~600+ hours into the game.

airfightermax

Reaction score
I personally don't find exciting to watch speedruns. Yes, if you trying to get to the Guinness Records, that's a huge achievement, other than that, I find it is a waste of time. Food for thought, I think that people who exploit games like this are incredibly persistent and worth to place those achievements on a resumé since employers are interested in perseverant people, but if you can't actually do the speedrun and waste time, it must be devastating. Anyways, jokes aside, congrats to the Fallout player :D
Now they should try completing the Fallout 4 storyline, in 15 minutes too :D Just kidding the cutscenes would already eat a lot of time (and these are unskippable cutscenes so you have no choice but to watch).

Still, this was quite an interesting feat to do. I mean, that's a big game DONE in 15 minutes. That was quite fast. Either way, good job to the player!