• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Crafting

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Are you a fan of crafting systems in MMO's? If so, which is your favorite? Why do you craft?

I love crafting. When I first started, I wasn't a huge fan, but now I really enjoy it. Gathering resources and then making stuff for all my toons is a great feeling. And I can sometimes sell my crafted goods on the market for some good profit too, sot that's nice! :)

Martin

Reaction score
I sometimes like it. I feel they over do it in some games or make some items too hard to craft - well not hard but tedious to get all of the resources you need.

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Yeahh, that's true. If you don't want to go collect though you can always farm gold and buy resources on the auction house :p

Honeymoon

Reaction score
Absolutely. Most of the time I play as the magician class, but sometimes I like roles that requires you to craft as well. In fact, they're probably my second favorite. Tailors, Chefs, Blacksmiths, etc. Probably not Alchemists though. I don't know why but they don't appeal to me that much, probably because they require you to use your creation to fight (the same with blacksmith, but in most games you don't actually run out of swords). I like making clothes and cooking the most.

Last edited:

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Absolutely. Most of the time I play as the magician class, but sometimes I like roles that requires you to craft as well. In fact, they're probably my second favorite. Tailors, Chefs, Blacksmiths, etc. Probably not Alchemists though. I don't know why but they don't appeal to me that much, probably because they require you to use your creation to fight (the same with blacksmith, but in most games you don't actually run out of swords). I like making clothes and cooking teh most.
Very nice. What game do you craft the most in?

Honeymoon

Reaction score
Very nice. What game do you craft the most in?

There's this game called Mabinogi that I've been playing for a while. I posted about it in one of the threads a few days back.. It's a MMORPG that doesn't focus itself entirely on the standard fighter/DPS classes like Warrior, Knight, Mage, etc. There are classes like Tailor, Chef, Blacksmith, Pharmacist and even Carpenter! There are a lot of ways you can level up there and I love that. I'm currently a Chef, I love collecting ingredients. I actually leveled up a lot milking cows :D

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
Ah yes I remember you posting about that game. It seemed interesting, but I don't see myself playing it. Every time I play a nexxon game I get really into it, then I spend too much money, then I regret everything :p
That crafting does sound really cool though, glad you are enjoying it! :)

Tronikart

Reaction score
Yeah, they represent part of the things you can do when you reach cap level so its important for you to get distracted for a while, and I absolutely enjoy the useless things you can do with crafting that are just for the show, Im a huge fan of those

ValX

Reaction score
Sometimes. At games like Minecraft where 'craft' is even in its name, crafting definitely increases the game experience by a whole. Crafting became a super important factor and super fun at the same times. But at some other games, where crafting is hard because the resources are really hard to get and need a lot of repetition with no other goals other than to craft an item, it became really boring and repetitive.

kenoobie

Reaction score
I love crafting. It adds a lot to the game as it requires the player to explore the world and farm materials. Crafting also helps players in getting gear. I played WoW and enjoyed the crafting system as it can really help when trying to start for the end game. In MMOs, I feel that crafting is quite linear. In single player games that involves crafting, the game gets more depth. It gives me an incentive to explore areas and usually be rewarded not just materially.

castills

Reaction score
I find crafting a hindrance in some games. In the MMORPG Aion gathering is very slow, with many crafting professions. You also have to craft in the main city, unlike many other games where you can craft wherever as long as you hard the mats.

I found crafting not as challenging the another MMORPG, RIFT, as the power-leveling areas had loot you could gather no matter what gathering skill level you had. You were more likely to make more mats that you would be credit for, but that's what the market is for. Crafting stations were scattered across the map zones. Much better.

giovanniiiii

Reaction score
In most games I find crafting to be a tiring and boring task because there will be required materials that I do not even know how to get, because there is proper walkthrough for the game. This is the case for MMORPGs wherein there are multiple stages with different drops and sets of items for each.
I love crafting in Monster Hunter and Minecraft though. In Monster Hunter, there are quests wherein one will be familiarized with materials because he will be required to mine or catch bugs which are both materials. Monster drops have their respective names on them most of the time. In Minecraft, it feels way different compared to other games since you have put blocks into their respective places before being able to craft an item. It is rather very creative.

Soulwatcher

Reaction score
When I was new to mmorpgs I never crafted and I was always poor. Some years later I had a friend help me out and showed me the ropes on crafting and that's when the money started rolling in. Before I quit FFXIV I was making 1M~2M a day without even breaking a sweat.

And I would also like to add now that I have years of crafting experience behind me I will never be broke in any mmorpg. Because they all pretty much work the same.

sephyr

Reaction score
I used to get annoyed with the crafting systems in MMO's I played. Then I played FFXIV and I actually loved it. In this game you can actually be any job/class including crafting and gathering jobs! It's a great way to make money (in-game), make stuff that's actually useful, and make cosmetic items (glamours) for yourself. Plus, being story driven, even crafting/gathering jobs have story-lines.

WarVet

Reaction score
I absolutely love it! Wheter it is in an MMO or in a single player game crafting is one of the things that i enjoy the most in a videogame. I loved in in Skyrim ( well it's smithing really) and in Runescape.