• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can Wildstar survive now that it's a f2p game?

shadowsupernature

Reaction score
For anyone that's unaware, Wildstar is a MMO game that very recently went f2p. The game itself was ambitious and had a subscription fee. But similar to games like Star Wars: the old Republic and Elder Scrolls Online, it too had to be made to a f2p game in order to survive.

Now the problem is, can the game survive and bring players back? The game isn't even two years old in itself. And unlike Star Wars and Elder Scrolls, it isn't a known IP so it's not like it has a prior fanbase working in its favor.

Wildstar for all intensive purposes is actually a high quality game. But I fear this is turning out to be one of those games were even though it's good, it will be forgotten.

Patrick

Reaction score
Same for me. The Beta really wasn't that impressive in my opinion and didn't warrent the subscription tag. I think it'll do just as well as any other MMO once it's made to be F2P because I'm sure they'll flood it with microtransactions to fill the hole that was their subscription base.
I'm standing by that.

Brandon

Admin
Administrator
Premium
Reaction score
It depends on how they do updates if its like Team Fortress 2 then yes it'll survive and maybe grow but if its updates that don't do anything besides add content you have to buy then i doubt it

AmenoKaji

Reaction score
Hmm it's hard to say. I would like to think they won't kill their game with microtransactions but it's hard to say until its actually announced. I enjoyed Wildstar in beta but I couldn't get any of my friends to join me in the game at its Launch so I put it off until now. As long as they don't do the f2p like SWTOR f2p is, it should be fine. If they follow SWTOR's f2p route where you are pretty much having to buy even the most basic of things to play the game through microtransactions that game is dead.

RivaCom

Reaction score
SWTOR actually is doing quite well being F2P, I believe they said they are doing better then they did post launch when Subs dropped(about the same time as MOP for WoW).

Sylar

General Manager
Reaction score
SWTOR actually is doing quite well being F2P, I believe they said they are doing better then they did post launch when Subs dropped(about the same time as MOP for WoW).
Yup. The F2P model is really good IMO and adds incentives for subbing to the point that if you are hardcore into the game you just end up subbing. That being said you can buy everything that a sub has with credits...eventually. But yes, they are doing much better than the post-launch months where so many people quit due to lack of eldergame