• IMPORTANT: Welcome to the re-opening of GameRebels! We are excited to be back and hope everyone has had a great time away. Everyone is welcome!

Can the Wii be for hard core gamers?

Geoffrey

Reaction score
It's a common mindset that the Wii's game library doesn't offer anything to hard core gamers like the Playstation and 360 does. Do you think the Wii does or does not offer games similar to that of the other systems or do you think the Wii purposefully was intended for a different audience? Do you enjoy the Wii, or do you prefer other systems?

Hidden308

Reaction score
A Wii cannot in any way be for a hardcore gamer. There's no competitiveness in the community like there is in LIVE and PSN.

gktime

Reaction score
I wish! But no, I don't think so, the online and the graphics aren't good enough. But if the Wii U's online becomes like live or psn, then maybe.

Hidden308

Reaction score
It's too difficult for it to be hardcore with the controllers though.

gktime

Reaction score
But they can use classic controllers...

Hidden308

Reaction score
True, but you never see tournaments or such for the Wii.

gktime

Reaction score
There is a website that runs smash bros. tournaments, and it sometimes offers cash prizes. But the players are REALLY, EXTREMELY, AMAZINGLY, GOOD

Hidden308

Reaction score
I know but they aren't huge like MLG tournaments for the PC and 360. These tournaments are much bigger and draw in bigger crowds, thus a larger sum of prize money.

Geoffrey

Reaction score
There is a website that runs smash bros. tournaments, and it sometimes offers cash prizes. But the players are REALLY, EXTREMELY, AMAZINGLY, GOOD
I think this shows that there can be competitiveness and online play for the Wii. Yes, the majority aren't as hard core or into it as the people playing on a 360 or PS3, but there are competitive games out there for the Wii.

It's possible, it's just over looked and not as publicized. Nintendo wanted the Wii to "get people moving" not to "get them sitting in front of the tv shouting curse words at it" haha.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Agreeing with GAK. There are good gamers on EVERY gaming system, it's just some systems are more competitive and have bigger communities for this.

gktime

Reaction score
I know but they aren't huge like MLG tournaments for the PC and 360. These tournaments are much bigger and draw in bigger crowds, thus a larger sum of prize money.

Oh that is true. It would be cool though if nintendo could attract more older people so they could have bigger tournaments.

ZINC

Reaction score
It would seem weird playing Battefield or something like that on it, but I don't see why a hard core gamer can't use it, it's still a gaming system!

Hidden308

Reaction score
True Zinc. I wonder if many hardcore gamers that play PS3, Xbox 360 and the PC play the Wii for fun at least.

NaiwenGS

Reaction score
It's a common mindset that the Wii's game library doesn't offer anything to hard core gamers like the Playstation and 360 does. Do you think the Wii does or does not offer games similar to that of the other systems or do you think the Wii purposefully was intended for a different audience? Do you enjoy the Wii, or do you prefer other systems?

Actually, wrong about that. XDD Tales of Symphonia 2 was pretty tough to finish, took me 200 something hours to play.

Hidden308

Reaction score
But Naiwen that's not really something you can play competitively, is it?

Master

Reaction score
Wii is mostly great to play with family or friends not for playing competitively.
Also great for parties as well.

NaiwenGS

Reaction score
But Naiwen that's not really something you can play competitively, is it?

Yep actually, you can play it in teams and there are challenges in the Arena and etc.

Hidden308

Reaction score
Yep actually, you can it in teams and there are challenges in the Arena and etc.

That is true what Naiwen said, Master. However as of now the Wii isn't fit for hardcore gamers whatsoever.

n00b tube

Reaction score
I own a wii but rarely play it since I bought an xbox. I think the wii is more geared towards younger children and girls. My girlfriend always plays the just dance game on it but I would never get het playing the xbox. Although when I first got the wii I did used to play COD on it and actually thought it was pretty good if you use one of the guns.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
I'm assuming the definition of 'Hardcore' to be a gamer that views gaming as a passion and prefers deeper games. I don't see competition as a necessary part of the definition. The Wii was aimed to appeal to everyone, and due to it's intuitive controls, of course there are a ton of 'casual' games to be found. However, there are also plenty of 'hardcore/meaty' games. Off the top of my head: Madworld, Xenoblade Chronicles, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Castle of Shikigami III, Metroid: Other M... the list goes on and on. I have neither a PS3 nor 360, and still haven't played all that's worth playing on the Wii.